Contribute
Register

[ Case Mod ] Powertosh i5 / PowermacG5 H2O-cooled Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love UPS soooo much :) They always pull out smile on my face when i hear their van stopping near my house :) :)

3rDXWhFl.jpg

oyOmsszl.jpg

JzEa36Pl.jpg

Heart of this build, without this PSU, whole system design and noise suppression would be useless :)

yRZv2kbl.jpg

roBXsPbl.jpg

gcsUD63l.jpg

I finally finished front cover perforation, i still need to smooth / sand it before primer spraying :)

3EOa8mpl.jpg

HDjMggnl.jpg

Today i had a little bit of time to cut mbo tray mount and to create screws from original Apple's mbo mounts.

N4E3xeUl.jpg

vS2xX13l.jpg

m3TaelDl.jpg

3trN8zvl.jpg

RsgBcPKl.jpg

Preparation for mbo tray holders epoxy treatment.

BLJZlRel.jpg

tqt8SUrl.jpg

MBO tray holders are placed / epoxied to their spots

HfUoiIhl.jpg

Er9LSfMl.jpg

pDRrDYIl.jpg

cZMzn8hl.jpg

MBO tray and component placement test

rZmp5hOl.jpg

This is upper part of the case measured for radiator holder mount placement.

9ilqsOql.jpg

Nuts got roughening treatment for better grip.

iSDtWOZl.jpg

Case spots got it as well.

RwNhJmOl.jpg

t6LoGOnl.jpg

Improvised mount spots :)

BK9brqal.jpg

sbMQkB7l.jpg

yz6LkT2l.jpg

IvwrQJql.jpg

Today I've got sponsorship packet from Icemodz ( http://www.icemodz.com ).

Ty Icemodz !

xF8EFSZl.jpg

qcLzpKSl.jpg

0aurd4Cl.jpg

1JFBIUql.jpg

Sleeving color scheme for 24/8/6 pin cables

EvPAg0Ml.png

Planned sata and molex color scheme

Sata: 3-1-1 ( white-black-white )

Molex: 2-1-1 ( white-black-white )

Yesterday i got some presents again, this time from DIYINHK.com.

I've ordered PWM Control 18W PCB for DDC pump ( http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/ddc-pump/41-laing-ddc-pump-18w-repair-pcb-wled-smd-soldered-mcp355.html ) because there is no need for the pump to run on max rpm 0/24, and i wanted to use benefits of Sabertooth 4-pin headers and ASUS's Thermal radar control.

So, here it is:

Upgrade PCB kit with blue LEDs.

f4kpAw7l.jpg

jd1N4ADl.jpg

JJFjBiHl.jpg

System was flushed out and disassembled and pump is ready for her upgrade :)

2rh8SF1l.jpg

7LicXRul.jpg

New PCB is slightly smaller than original one

KyxGHihl.jpg

Old PCB dissasembled

ByDWSIbl.jpg

Stator coil

tTQ1tGNl.jpg

Old VS New PCB

fEnwIEel.jpg

qnJW34kl.jpg

We can clearly see how far technology went in just 10 years, that single IC and a few diodes on new PCB are replacing bunch of ICs and semiconductors from the old PCB.

Also new PCB is made out of 4 layers, vs 2 layer on old one. This is a huge benefit in form of power delivery to the coils itself and it is more prone to pcb burnout due copper current limitation old boards had ( copper lines on the board were too small and too resistant, aka they were limiting max current that can flow into the coils, and when users placed those pumps into restrictive loops, stator demanded more and more current to maintain desired RPMs )

In that upgrade kit i've also received 4 blue LEDs and 2 SMD resistors, but as i don't own transparent top + i hate blue LEDs inside of a computer ( they are too much redneck-ish :D ) i won't use them.

3m5FwTWl.jpg

R2 and R3 are locations for those 2 resistors, and D1,D2,D3 & D4 are places where you should solder LEDs if you wish.

FgXy3bel.jpg

PCB contacts treated with solder for easier soldering of stator and power / control wires.

a0QypHrl.jpg

IMPnzZXl.jpg

Stator pulled out from pump's casing, i did this for easier wire preparation.

OPmXLxvl.jpg

Total of 6 coils with 2 wires, so i had to cut 6 exact wire pairs.

64t1vfOl.jpg

Preparation is the key of everything ( 85% preparation + 15% work = 100% of wanted result at the end ), so i stripped wire ends and treated them with tin.

5ttq4vLl.jpg

Extension wires connected with the stator wires.

eztJ4Rcl.jpg

8LgxgG3l.jpg

mnOPIqpl.jpg

Those tiny white blobs on wire junctions are small amounts of nail polish, i used it to isolate bare connections from shorting together once the stator is placed inside of his casing and connected with PCB.

* Unfortunately i was really excited to test out the pump, so i forgot to take pictures of wires soldered on pcb, but i will take them later before final steps and project completition. *

Cables are sleeved and connected, white one is for RPM signal and PWM control that is connecting to the MBO 4-pin header, and inside the black one are 12+ and GND wires that are connected to the PSU.

LAEQ6JSl.jpg

1FasGugl.jpg

cNneBEPl.jpg

So... you guys are probably asking yourself why on earth would someone do all this job if he had perfectly ok and 100% working device ?

Well, i like to do diy stuff and enhance electronic devices whenever i can, someone is playing soccer, someone is riding his bike, and to me this is my satisfaction and a way of relaxation :)

Ok ok, but if we put that aside, are there really benefits of this PCB ?

YES ! :) :)

Pump is now under Sabertooth's control

Ibji1eEl.jpg

Normally pump is working @ 850RPM

5VQGMLol.jpg

I've conected 4-pin header that is controling pump's RPMs with CPU thermal sensor, so whenever CPUs temp rises a bit, pump will also speed up, to keep more of the water flowing thru cpu block.

5Ptw6bel.jpg

Temp difference between 850 and 3900 RPM is cca 2 degrees of Celsius in idle and 4 in full load, BUT noise difference between min and max RPMs :) that is hell of a improvement and it was worth of extra 20 GBP + 2 hours of "work" ( I say "work" because i do this for fun :3 )

Small update / tease :)

GTX 980 Phantom

DrUKAAMh.jpg

I5 4690K

BhX0R33h.jpg

GPU is already installed for benching / testing on air :)

feA6SIdh.jpg

Currently i had GTX 760 Phantom from my mate who borrowed it to me, since HD7850 died because of VRM shorting ( too much vgpu / +50% power limit is bad for cheap vrm :D ), and considering the fact that they advertise Phantom line as colder / quieter solution is absolute lie, they get hot as hell and noisy also, but i don't know, noise tolerance varies from person to person... :( So.. i can't wait for vrm watercooling parts, so i can put this Maxwell beast under H20 and do some proper bios tweaking / overclocking :)

So, I've finally catched some spare time and i can continue working on this case.

I/O bracket fixed in place with epoxy resin.

RcvoLvvl.jpg

hn7ieG6l.jpg

Original fan holes section removed.

ppbwv1ol.jpg

I decided to use original CPU cover plate because i can easily drill thru it, also i will drill holes around G5 logo, so letters will remain unpainted / original.

Lo32xoMl.jpg

Drill testing

wYSG82Ol.jpg

Okay, here we go :)

XcU0l13l.jpg

Cover perforation

u7o6ecTl.jpg

asXkPw8l.jpg

24pin cable sleeving

3i8aGk8l.jpg

Just got CLU few mins ago :)

ok7Ciphl.jpg

So, morning was perfect for de-lid process :)

Instead of razor blade method or vice and hammer method i used new method, my own :D

Procedure is the same as razor blade method procedure, but instead of razor blade i used very thin plastic sheet i had from usb drive package. This plastic is perfect for this kind of work, thin, sharp and smooth.

95ub3XDl.jpg

Liquid Ultra on die

IVE81Bsl.jpg

Liquid Ultra on IHS

ozIFV85l.jpg

With this i got more event temps across all cores

qAptZ1Pl.jpg

Before de-lid, min / max core difference was 14 degrees Celsisus.

Note: Currently CPU is cooled with box cooler / i did quick and poor Phobya Nano grease application, so we won't see the real results before i mount watercooling loop and put everything in case. But as far i'am satisfied with lower ΔT across all cores :)

Small update:

Front mesh ( port holes are covered / perforated )

tIsjs4ul.jpg

Rear mesh ( fixed in place and perforated )

TnQFt1yl.jpg

Qte8u5rl.jpg

Hello Mr. Ive :D :D

oB8P9Stl.jpg

UIdISWSl.jpg

zD29KHNl.jpg

23Zr6lKl.jpg

Black cage

bKlnqrBl.jpg

6Ryul3gl.jpg

DS3jukKl.jpg

Side panel was sanded down after 1st primer layer, ( wet sanding - soapy water with P800 grit sanding paper )

VCXGbddl.jpg

G3Et3Yyl.jpg

"Mirror" finish :)

OtftYRil.jpg

Primer coating, 2nd layer

jwdtBkil.jpg

GZTXObkl.jpg

wiZuVrml.jpg

Musical motivation used during this work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGRAmuxRAPs :D

Edit:

Few hours later, sidepanel was coated with black spray paint, and wet-sanded with P2000 paper.

Paint is in 60% mirror finish stage.

L3pLaTGl.jpg

Test assembly

BW0ROmYl.jpg

7o3Chwtl.jpg

Additional shots taken, i temporarely installed one LED white strip out of two, to see how this will look :)

vbLmRfNl.jpg

EK logo is painted, so reservoir holders aren't so dull and completely black

b3GpPPDl.jpg

Icemodz 24pin cable holder ( one of the plexy bits broke, because in few sleeves there are 2 wires going to the MBO connector )

zhCuefpl.jpg

These Monsoon fittings are absolutely gorgeus :)

Once again i would like to express my gratitude to sponsors who had faith in my work:

http://www.blacknoise.com - Noiseblocker - premium fan manufacturer
http://www.icemodz.com - Icemodz - modding equipment, tools and accesories
http://www.monsooncooling.com - MonsooN- Premium watercooling accesories and tools
http://www.pcaxe.com - PCAXE - Regional E-zine and Youtube PC enthusiast community
https://www.youtube.com/user/PCAXE

and to all people who followed this project, got subscribed to my work log and got involved in via discussion and suggestions.

Status of this project is still in: Work in Progress, so stay tuned ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back