Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Online [aka offsite] backups are a great idea for really critical files that you never, ever want to lose. Obviously, backing up on line to a cloud or other network server offers several advantages over local backup disks. Carbonite is an affordable solution for Windows, and Intel-based Apple Macs, but will not support the Hackintosh. It will appear to install but will not work. Carbonite tech informed me (as of today) that they have no plan to support the Hackintosh. Instead, try Mozy. It works well, has little overhead and the latest version has a user-friendly interface and 30-day versioning. That is, it keeps multiple versions of a changed file for 30 days (a real lifesaver if you screw up a file and need to go back to an earlier version).

How much do they offer for how much money.
We are using DropBox but not for backup just for company files (invoices, orders, etc)

damndoe said:
How much do they offer for how much money.
We are using DropBox but not for backup just for company files (invoices, orders, etc)
They have plans for home and business (http://www.mozy.com)

ghorwith said:
Carbonite is an affordable solution for Intel-based Apple Macs, but will not support the Hackintosh.

A Hackintosh *is* an Intel based Apple Mac, as far as any piece of software can tell.

Hackintoshes aren't "supported", of course they're not, not by anyone, but Carbonite will work just fine.

moshymoshy said:
ghorwith said:
Carbonite is an affordable solution for Intel-based Apple Macs, but will not support the Hackintosh.

A Hackintosh *is* an Intel based Apple Mac, as far as any piece of software can tell.

Hackintoshes aren't "supported", of course they're not, not by anyone, but Carbonite will work just fine.
Well, if you have it working, we all (including the tech support at Carbonite would love to hear how you do it. In fact, one of the developers I spoke to at Carbonite has a Hackintosh of his own, and confirmed that it won't work for him either. He wouldn't confirm why, but also didn't dispute that it might be related to the boot strap. As you point out, aside from this, an Apple Mac and the Hackintosh are the same at the hd level. Possibly Carbonite looks for some hardware signature found only on an Apple Mac. Seems unlikely, but who knows. They (the folks at Carbonite) won't say.

It's none of Carbonite's business whether your 'main' drive is external or not. Carbonite's job is to back up what the user instructs it to back up. For it to make that decision for you is a serious misfeature.

Hey guys,
Hate to resurrect a dead topic but I have been using Carbonite for a while and I love it and would rather not switch to a different solution.

I have the same problem you guys have outlined in that my Serial-ATA removable media is set to YES

What steps can I take or where can you guys direct me in order to fix that?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back