Contribute
Register

Can't Recover (w/ USB, etc):Gold build (Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930k | GTX 580 1.5GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CPU
Xeon Quad 2.66G
Graphics
GeForce 7300 GT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
SOLVED: Can't Recover (w/ USB, etc):Gold build (Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930k | GTX 580 1.5GB)

Hi,
I need help with getting my Gold build (Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930k | GTX 580 1.5GB back online.

Here's what's happening:
From one startup to the next, my SSD-based system drive wouldn't startup the system. Instead it displays the progress bar on the Apple boot window now every time and then just hangs there.
From my bit of research it seems like the system is corrupted or something and needs a fix.

I have timemachine backing up all the time, so I figured I could use a slightly older backup to restore in place, like shown here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/349-time-machine-backup-recovery-customac.html

So:
I reset the MoBo to the safe defaults and made a 10.8 USB 8GB system drive.
When I try to startup with the vanilla UniBeast created USB drive, it get until the Apple logo screen and then shuts down.

I googled the issue and tried some recommended boot flags before booting the system.
As far as boot flags, I've tried:

1. -x
  2. -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes [this should be the right setting for the GTX 580]
  3. -x GraphicsEnabler=No
  4. -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=0
  5. -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x2000
  6. -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes npci=0x3000
This all doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.

Would love any suggestions out there......

Thanks in advance,
:ugeek:Misha:banghead:

Last edited:
Success: Can't Recover (w/ USB, etc):Gold build (Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930k | GTX 580 1.5GB)

Ok....
I've been able to boot with the USB.
After trying a few combinations this worked for my setup:

Code:
-x GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=0 npci-0x2000

Am currently trying to restore from an earlier backup from the internally installed TimeMachine backup.

Misha

SOLVED: Can't Recover (w/ USB, etc):Gold build (Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930k | GTX 580 1.5GB)

FYI,
I used the correct boot flags to start up from the USB and then did a fresh install of 10.9.5 on my 128 OWC SSD. I was able to get all data back via Migration Tool.
I have a working set up bootloaders and a DSDT (from the previous 10.8.5 setup), but would like to optimize for audio devices (seem to only be able to see my USB headset).

That's status.
M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back