Contribute
Register

Can't Overclock i7 3770K + Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OSX
CPU
Intel i7 3770K
Graphics
Gigabyte 670 OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys, first off I would like to say Thank You to everyone for putting such a great resource together. This forum is so helpful and gives people a chance to put a nice OSX system together at a fair price.

Since I am a noob, I wanted to stick to the guides so I put together Tonymac's CustoMac Pro and got it up and running relatively painless. I knew I wanted to over clock my system so I bought the H100i. Stock I am running at about 25C-30C idle, and temps may get up to 60C when running bench tests so I have a pretty good base to work with from what I have read. Here's my problem:

Anytime I go into the BIOS (version F11) I can change the Core Turbo settings (I used anywhere from 40 to 45 on cores 1-4) it will show it in the BIOS, reboot and it will hold the entries I typed in, but when I get into ML I do not see any changes to my CPU frequency. It always stays between 1.6GHz and 3.5GHz using Hardware Monitor, and my Cinebench score never moves up. Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I have followed every guide and YouTube video I can find. Maybe you guys can shed some light onto this mystery?

System:
CPU: i7 3770K
MOBO: GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
HD: SanDisk 256GB SSD
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Gigabyte 670 OC
Cooler: H100i
PSU: Corsair HX750

Thanks a lot for your help!

Mark

What system definition are you using? I would suggest adjusting all 4 cores the same value if using 3,1. If using minimac 6,x or iMac 12,x or 13,x a modified SSDT will be required to over-clock. Do you have EIST (speed step) enabled in the bios. Unless using the later sysdefs, it should be disabled too. What method of overlcoking are you using "manual" or "offset" voltage and at what multiplier. I'd suggest learning to "offset" over clock as it will yield better temps as the clock frequency increases. There is no need to pump that much "manual" voltage to a chip that is sitting idle at 1.6ghz. Disable PLL overvoltage for Sleep issues too.

Here are some starting voltage and clock speed reference points:

42 x 1.025 v

44 x 1.10 v

45 x 1.125 v

46 x 1.175 v - LLC Extreme

47 x 1.225 v – LLC Extreme

48 x 1.275 v – LLC Extreme

These are my limits personally:

4.8ghz

1.35 – 1.325

90C

I am currently using iMac 13,1. I tried Mac Pro 3,1 no luck and Mac Mini as well, still no luck. I was just trying to get to 4.3 GHz for now so I can test the system. I have set the turbo to 43 on all 4 cores just to see if I can even get turbo mode active and so far I can not. Even when I push the system it stays at 3.5 GHz.

I have not tried disabling eist yet because I read a few places that it will not allow the CPU to speed step thus creating more unnecessary wear to the components. Is this true? Does the offset mode help with this since eist is disabled?

Where can I find the correct ssdt to use?

Thank yu so much for the response. This will give me a few things to research some more.

I try 1.175 V to x46. I hope that the temperature will be lower.

I tried 1.250 V but it doesn't works. Now I gave to the processor 1.295V. But I try to find the best solution...

@SpinCykle: what do you think, can I give 1.35V to the processor for x48 (4800MHz)?

I want to achive 18000 Geekbench score, but if I set more than 4600, the system won't boot. :(

THE MOTHER OF ALL IVY BRIDGE OC GUIDES
http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45302

take your time! a stable OC is one that can run Prime95 Torture Test basically all day. the Blend test which also tests RAM is very important if you're OCing memory.

incrementally step up your OC and voltage. be sure you have a stable OC at a lower clock before you move to a higher clock.

not all CPUs are created equal. just because one person has achieved a stable OC at 4.8 does not mean you will. and just because one person's settings worked does no mean that yours will.

read your mobo manual and make sure you understand all the options. there are many variables that can effect the stability of your OC.

Thanks for the guide! :)

Well after all I guess some ASUS motherboards aren't doing that bad with benchmarks after have the OS X install in my case Mavericks 10.9.4 with Clover UEFI mode. I'm not pulling no ones legs guys so far My Rigg is set in Bios @ 44 Multiplier no C-state disable, offset mode on, Ram @ 2133 XMP profile-1 (Geekbench 64bit) Scores are: Single Core:(4297) Multi:(17113).

And it gets me was today left the computer on when I came back was shutdown and I told my o hell I'm in trouble now its going to freeze or not start and I press the power bottom and walla the computer back at the logging screen didn't freeze or nothing it's working even better than my MacMini 2012. Temps @4.4Ghz are 42, 45 not higher than 48C, of course mine is Water cool to the teeth, I'm proud of my rigg. I will post photos later maybe a youtube video to validate my words. Thanks to Tonymac86, MacMan and the developer of Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back