Contribute
Register

Can't Install on Asus X99 Deluxe II - 5930k - GTX 980 Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Asus-Freak, thanks for the prompt reply! I have two questions...

- I read your entire Freaks guide to X99M-Gaming 5 build. I am currently debating with that board and the Asus X99-A ii, since the EVGA micro2 seems too complicated. In terms of performance, do you think that even if speedstep doesn't work this build (or yours) has the edge over a Z170 6700k based build? (which is fully supported?) I'm planning to use the machine for music (film) production.

- Do you think the pcie performance of the X99M-Gaming 5 is too much of a drawback? Seems like it's the most solid build, maybe i'm wrong but i haven't seen that kind of support on other Asus boards (i.e usb not working, etc), the other possibility would be the Asrock x99E-itx, which also has a guide but the lack of quad channel is a bummer.

Thanks!!!
The EVGA micro2 isn't so complicated it just doesn't work well with OSX, and since the latest bios update it frankly doesn't work at all. I'm a big Asus fan but don't believe any of their offerings work as well as the Gigabyte boards for X99. With that said I wouldn't touch a ASRock board for OSX regardless of the platform, they've always been a PITA. Unless you have alot of experience running OSX on a PC, go with a proven Z170 - 6700k and save yourself some money and alot of grief...

HWMonitor tells me that Speedstep in working as expected on my 5820K / Asus X99-A II box.
1.2 GHz running idle , 4.4 GHz Turbo Boost while running Geekbench3 .
I also saw 3.4 GHz , 3,8 Ghz, ....
Asus X99-A II is the perfect platform for a Mac 6,1 substitue !

Attachments

• x12.png
    x12.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 247
  • x33.png
    x33.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 236
  • x44 Turbo setting.png
    x44 Turbo setting.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 253
@apcontre: here some geekbench3 results - ... MultiCore is very inconsistent

Attachments

• Asus X99-A II Geekbench3.png
    Asus X99-A II Geekbench3.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 313
I have only invested little time in overclocking my setup.
Asus has some intelligent settings for doing a quick and dirty boost.
To give you an idea - some Intel Power Gadget Freq and Temps output while running Geekbench3.
UEFI BIOS takes care of Thermal Control during Overclock Boost - CPU Temps keep between 40 and 60 degrees celsius on my system.
Running Heaven graphics benchmark at Full HD will drive my GTX970 up to 75 degree celsius.

Attachments

• IPG i7-5820K - ASUS X99-A II Load.png
    IPG i7-5820K - ASUS X99-A II Load.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IGP i7-5820K - Asus X99-A II Idle.png
    IGP i7-5820K - Asus X99-A II Idle.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 240
  • Heaven settings.png
    Heaven settings.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 236
I have only invested little time in overclocking my setup.
Asus has some intelligent settings for doing a quick and dirty boost.
To give you an idea - some Intel Power Gadget Freq and Temps output while running Geekbench3.
UEFI BIOS takes care of Thermal Control during Overclock Boost - CPU Temps keep between 40 and 60 degrees celsius on my system.
Running Heaven graphics benchmark at Full HD will drive my GTX970 up to 75 degree celsius.

Have you tried the NullCPU kext? I don't see the flatline on the Intel Power Gadget, maybe try that to max the cpu performance. Do you have audio, usb 3, etc. etc working? Many thanks for the pics!!!!!

@apcontre: What do you meam by flatline - running in an active idle system you will always get a minimum stepping of around 12x (lowest 800 Mhz). That's comparable to what you see in an Windows environment running idle. Going to sleep mode will then put the CPU in an idle state.
At least that's what I see on my hacki - b.t.w. NullCPUPowermanagement is installed in kext/10.11 .

I hope to be save running a Haswell chip (58xxK/X) because Intel's Broadwell CPU's (68xxK, 69xxK/X) seem to have SpeedStep issues with their current microcode stepping sometimes running into Machine Check Exceptions. Microsoft has tried to fixed those with an Intel CPU Microcode Update for Windows in June 2015. If things go south running one of the Broadwell chips in your Hackintosh you might need to turn off SpeedStep in your BIOS .

- Audio ALC1150 running (Audio wakeup issue needs to be fixed using a mod version of CodecCommander)
- USB 3.0 (some ports) running
- Ethernet running (not used)
- WiFi running
- Bluetooth running
- iTunes Video running ('newer' cards like my GTX 970 will need Shiki.kext installed)

how do you disable the serial port on the asus deluxe II

Hi Mac224, zebuscat and others with similar config. Is your build stable?

From my experience I'm getting random Kernel Panics after 6-12 hours of use (I've got an x99-Deluxe II with i7-6950x not OC). I just wanted to clarify if you've reached stability.

Hi Thireus - all stable here - OC 4,3 Ghz. In the meantime I have upgraded to Sierra 10.12.3 .
Only wake from deep sleep does not work properly (reboot) - seems to be a common 10.12 issue on x99 boards, at least I have not found a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back