Contribute
Register

Can't get Realtek ALC889 audio through HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded to f8, installed ML with unibeast installer and ran multibeast 5.02. I tried both DSDTs and selected the appropriate boxes (userdsdt, ac889, Realtek gigabyte, Mac mini definition). ML boots fine with the -f option or if I change the chameleon file UseKernelCaches to "No." Otherwise the system hangs (with a no-smoking type sign) during the spinning apple logo.

However, HDMI audio does not work. I tried the f8 DSDT in the DSDT area as well as the ga-h61n-USB-b3-HDMI-f8 in the customac mini thread. When I use the normal one I get 4 audio output devices (two line outs, internal and optical). When I use the HDMI one I only get three (internal, line out and optical).

I also tried making my own DSDT and appleHDA kext files following another thread - to no avail.

Is there a way to get HDMI audio on Mountain Lion with the customac mini 2011 build?

I got it to work. I have no idea why.

Heres what I did.

first I ran multibeast 5 with the normal dsdt (didn't work)
then I ran multibeast 5 with the HDMI DSDT (didn't work)
then I ran multibeast 4 (the old lion version) with the HDMI DSDT (didn't work)
then I ran multibeast 5 with the normal dsdt (didn't work)
then I ran multibeast 5 with the HDMI DSDT (works!!!)

somehow now HDMI shows up in output devices and works perfectly.

in each case I selected the same four options: userdsdt, alc889, Realtek gigabyte Ethernet, Mac mini 5,1 definition.

1080p runs smoother on this i3 than on my genuine Mac mini 5,1 core i5.

I got it to work. I have no idea why.

Heres what I did.

first I ran multibeast 5 with the normal dsdt (didn't work)
then I ran multibeast 5 with the HDMI DSDT (didn't work)
then I ran multibeast 4 (the old lion version) with the HDMI DSDT (didn't work)
then I ran multibeast 5 with the normal dsdt (didn't work)
then I ran multibeast 5 with the HDMI DSDT (works!!!)

somehow now HDMI shows up in output devices and works perfectly.

in each case I selected the same four options: userdsdt, alc889, Realtek gigabyte Ethernet, Mac mini 5,1 definition.

1080p runs smoother on this i3 than on my genuine Mac mini 5,1 core i5.

I can confirm this works. I ran the F9 HDMI DSDT with version 5 of Multibeast and selected audio 889 and macmini and that's it. Oh and I got smoking sign so turned off UsesKernelCaches and that stopped the no smoking sign.

Couple of questions if anyone has time.

What am I missing out on by not using UsesKernelCaches (faster boot) and am I missing out on anything that will better my system by not choosing some of the original options in Multibeast?

Finally I restored saved files from my Lion Machine backup by just browsing the disk.

i'm using UKC=yes in my boot.plist and still i was having slow boot. I enabled extreme hard discs in BIOS and now booting is flying, literally no spinning wheel just a flicker of the screen and Prompt password. Never been this fast throughout Snow or Lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back