Contribute
Register

Can't get into macOS installer on NUC8i7BEH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @TechNubi and @parthusa92 as mentioned in other NUC8 threads here and my thread (a study guide) please try this BIOS setting that's reported to provide Gigabit stability, whilst using Rehabman's IntelMausiEthernet 2.4.1d1:

Go to POWER page:
"Secondary Power Settings" section --> Disable "PCIe ASPM Support"

Please advise, thanks.

I am very sad the BIOS tweaks did not fix the speed problem.
I experimented with disabling either/both "PCIe ASPM Support" and "Native ACPI OS PCIe Support". Also tried versions 2.4.1d1 and 2.5.0d0 of IntelMausiEthernet.kext.
One data point is downloading the Clover EFI Bootloader from sourceforge.net
I am getting downloads speads of 1-2KB/sec, maybe 30-60mintues to download. (Actually before the BIOS tweaks I was getting 9KB/sec) On my Win10 machine on the same switch, it downloads in seconds.

I thought there was an older driver, besides the IntelMausiEthernet, that I might try. I saw it somewhere, but now can't find it. *e1000* something like that. I'm also repartioning, in hopes of doing a dual Windows install, so I can verify if Windows works better.

Thanks for the suggestion! I continue to persevere in my endeavor, for the time being.

I am very sad the BIOS tweaks did not fix the speed problem.
Did you try the FixRegions flag in Clover, too? That's another one that I read in the threads... Hope you solve it mate.

Alas!! Ethernet is still slow after rebooting with FixRegions flag to true, in the /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist

I have observed that kext files added to /Library/Extensions seem to have no effect, except as showing up as the kext location and version in the System Information > Ethernet Cards,
however without the IntelMausiEthernet present in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/kext/ the Ethernet does not work at all.

Intel l219V6 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet:

Name: ethernet
Type: Ethernet Controller
Bus: PCI
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x15be
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x8086
Subsystem ID: 0x2074
Revision ID: 0x0030
BSD name: en0
Kext name: IntelMausiEthernet.2.5.0d0.kext
Location: /Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.2.5.0d0.kext
Version: 2.5.0d0

If the IntelMausiEthernet.kext is in both /System/Library/Extensions and /Library/Extensions,
the /Library/Extensions location & version will be displayed.
If only in /System/Library/Extensions, that location and version will be displayed.

I removed all the kext files I added to /Library/Extensions and the machine still boots and the network still runs (super slowly).

Any kext files I add to /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions are rejected when I run
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -i /

e.g.
Kext rejected du to improper filesystem permissions: <OSKext 0x7fb384c149c0 [0x7fff882108e0]> { URL = "file:///Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.2.5.0d0.kext/", ID = "com.insanelymac.IntelMausiEthernet" }
/System/Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.2.5.0d0.kext does not authenticate; omitting

As Ubuntu Ethernet is also very slow, I searched and found this bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1785171
Taking a clue from this, I tested booting a CentOS 7.6 LiveCD.
CentOS 7.6 uses the e1000e Intel Pro/1000 Network Driver - 3.2.6-k,
which is the same version e1000e Network Driver that Ubuntu 18.04 LiveCD uses,
but while Ubuntu Ethernet is super slow, just like macOS 10.14.5,
the CentOS 7.6 network is rock solid and could download the Clover EFI bootloader in 2 or 3 seconds,
whereas macOS or Ubuntu take 30-60 minutes, or fail entirely.

At least the CentOS test allays my fears that the hardware might be defective, and maybe it's not the BIOS settings either, since I don't change those when switching between CentOS and macOS or Ubuntu. Since the same driver version works in CentOS, that barely works in Ubuntu, perhaps focusing on the config.plist settings is the best approach? In case anyone is interested in taking a look at my EFI folder, I have zipped and attached it to this posting. I am very ignorant about the config.plist, .kext and .efi files, having gotten these mostly from @BlackHat13, here
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/cant-get-into-macos-installer-on-nuc8i7beh.277487/post-1962059

As a backup plan, I have ordered a TRENDnet USB Ethernet Dongle, which has an official macOS driver. With mouse, keyboard, bluetooth & ethernet, that would consume all the USB ports :(

Attachments

• EFI_slowEthernet.zip
    23.9 MB · Views: 65
Hey guys add this patch to clover config.plist and it will boot ;)

<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Fix NUC BIOS DSDT Device(RTC)</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>oAqTU1RBUwE=</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>oAqRCv8L//8=</data>
</dict>

thanks very much for this info. my existing Mojave installation on a NUC8i7BEH had been working fine for months but when i upgraded the NUC BIOS from version 0041 to 0071, the macOS boot process became glacially slow then got hung up. once i added your fix into the DSDT patches, the machine booted perfectly. :clap:

Hello Everybody,

I have question..:
Everything work perfect for 3-4weks and yesterday I hard reset my NUC and from then I can't use bluetooth anymore. I had that issue before, reinstallation of Mojave helpt but not anymore... (I'm using intel bluetooth)

Please help...

Hello Everybody,

I have question..:
Everything work perfect for 3-4weks and yesterday I hard reset my NUC and from then I can't use bluetooth anymore. I had that issue before, reinstallation of Mojave helpt but not anymore... (I'm using intel bluetooth)

Please help...

Done :)

Last edited:
Hi,

First, thx for this repository ! My Nuc8i5BEK works fine. Sorry for my english, i'm from France. My config works fine but i haven't any sensor working on my NUC. I just have 970pro sensor with intel gadget. CPU, GPU and fan speed are not available...Do you have any solution for this problem ?

Thanks

Hello, i used your EFI folder from this thread. which finally allowed to me to clear the installer. On the 3rd reboot, when i boot MacOS from my 1T Samsung 970 Pro SSD the apple logo appears and the progress bar continues all the way to the end after this is a presented with either a scrambled screen of a white screen. i have reboot several time with the same result and i have even reinstalled from scratch but each time the same result. i even tried in Verbose mode but it loads all the text, closes, loads the apple logo and then goes to the same scrambled screen.

Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back