Contribute
Register

Can't get into macOS installer on NUC8i7BEH

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned, via this YouTube, that to boot automatically, you have to set a "DefaultVolume" in the config.plist, otherwise it ignores the "Timeout" setting. I'm still making headway, but have not had much time to test things. I had trouble waking it after it seemingly hibernated. Hit the shift key and the screen would come turn on with nothing but noise. I pulled out the keyboard and mouse from the USB plugs and re-plugged them in, and the system woke up. Pretty happy it boots up on its own now, with no external EFI USB.

Finally got some time, and trying to do some basic testing.. It seems my wired ethernet is having some performance issues on the LAN. Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-V. I can ping the router or my old Mac Mini, and everything looks good, with latencies less than 1ms, until I try to copy 2.5GB of data from my old Mac Mini to the NUC8, while monitoring ping latencies and it is super slow and ping latencies shoot up and varying wildly between timeouts .. 1ms to 2 seconds. The copy says it will take 5mins but hangs after copying 159.5MB. The pings stay chaotic until I unplug/replug the ethernet cable.
I have the IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.4.1d1 in the boot vol EFI partition kext folder. Not sure what to do about the ethernet, but something seems very wrong. :(

Here is a basic question... Where are the .kext files supposed to go, in the final, boot with no USB boot loader, system?
In the hidden EFI partition? EFI/Clover/kext
-- or --
On the OS volume /Library/Extensions
++++++++++++++
Update on the kext vs Extensions folder question....
From testing, I find that the IntelMausiEthernet.kext is only functional when I place it in the EFI partition's folder .. EFI/Clover/kext
It is ignored, if placed in the folder /Library/Extensions
It is also non-functional in the folder /System/Library/Extensions (though it does get a gray dot placed by it in the Finder window, perhaps because it is not official??)
My supposition is that these kext files must go in the EFI partition.

Last edited:
I am not getting further than the install (sometimes) on bios 71, getting a ˋkextd stall’ on appleACPICPU, AWAC.

Anybody any ideas ? Installing on a regular EVO 970, nuc8i7

UPDATE: finally got it installed by comparing config.plist and adding keys from other config.plist.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Hey Guys, @DatSpark @Baikinman @skyzenith

After couple of days of testing, everything is working perfectly including audio - thunderbolt port hot plug - graphics - apple service (iCloud,imessage,facetime).

The config.plist need to be modified to add uuid and serial number if you want to get apple services to work.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you need help.

@BlackHack13 You are so awesome!! :), Thank you for sharing your EFI folder. Can you quickly answer a few questions? ^_^
- Do I need to put any kext files in the Library/Extensions folder? Or does the EFI’s kext folder contain everything?
- How did you create the macOS installation USB? Is UniBeast ok? Or should I use terminal to make USB and use Clover to put the EFI partition? If yes, should I replace the default clover generate EFI with the one you provided?
- After installing the macOS, I messed with the EFI using MultiBeast and Clover Configurator and Hackintool. Only about 50% of the stuff is working. Is it ok to just delete my EFI and replace it with your?
- Is using clover Configurator on your Config.plist ok to add new UUID and Serial numbers? Or should I not trust clover configurator?

My story so far...
I (just 2 hours ago) bought NUC8i7BEH with 16 GB of RAM and 1tb 960 EVO SSD. I want to plug in Apple WiFi/bt card on the M.2 slot to get AirDrop and Handoff working, I should be getting that in 2 days, can’t wait.
I installed the macOS using USB created from UniBeast. Is that going to be a problem with your EFI folder?
Following @konsti ’s guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-with-minimal-tweaks-10-14-5-success.274445/ I got about 50% of things working.
Ethernet wasn’t working after his EFI folder, so I ended up running MultiBeast to install some kexts. Not exactly knowing what I’m doing, I think I might have screwed up the install. The Ethernet is working, but download speed is ultra slow :(

More updates with Ethernet
I tried your @BlackHack13 EFI folder, used my own series number in config.plist file, just for safety copied all kexts from your EFI folder to my Extensions folder too, but still, the Ethernet is super slow.
Upload speeds were more than 600 Mbps while the download speed less than 0.1 Mbps. Same Ethernet cable on my PC has 600+ Mbps download speeds. Funny thing is, when I’m downloading something, the download speed would sporadically jump to 100s Mbps. Something is fishy!

Thank you so much in advance :)
By the way, you should write up a guide and post it in the Golden Builds section :)

Last edited:
Finally got some time, and trying to do some basic testing.. It seems my wired ethernet is having some performance issues on the LAN. Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-V. I can ping the router or my old Mac Mini, and everything looks good, with latencies less than 1ms, until I try to copy 2.5GB of data from my old Mac Mini to the NUC8, while monitoring ping latencies and it is super slow and ping latencies shoot up and varying wildly between timeouts .. 1ms to 2 seconds. The copy says it will take 5mins but hangs after copying 159.5MB. The pings stay chaotic until I unplug/replug the ethernet cable.
I have the IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.4.1d1 in the boot vol EFI partition kext folder. Not sure what to do about the ethernet, but something seems very wrong. :(

Here is a basic question... Where are the .kext files supposed to go, in the final, boot with no USB boot loader, system?
In the hidden EFI partition? EFI/Clover/kext
-- or --
On the OS volume /Library/Extensions

@TechNubi , I have the same problems. The Ethernet download speed is ultra slow. Upload speeds are >300 Mbps. When I first boot the machine and very quickly check the Ethernet speed, it starts with >300 Mbps and over 15-20 seconds, it goes down to <1Mbps even as low as 0.1Mbps. Browsing the web is terribly slow.

@BlackHack13 , do you have similar problems?

Does anyone have plans of installing WiFi card in the M.2 slot? I’m trying to follow this https://github.com/sarkrui/NUC8i7BEH-Hackintosh-Build method.

More on the super-slow Ethernet problem, which it sounds like @pathusa92 is also experiencing ...
I booted my NUC8i7BEH from a Live Ubuntu 18.04 USB and tested copying some files.
Ubuntu has the same problem!!!
(update: I tested Ubuntu at work the next day. Still bad. Ping latencies are 10x-100x slower than the Win10 machine on the same switch)

When I plug my Ethernet cable / switch into a different Windows 10 computer, no problem copying files over the network, so it seems most likely that the problem is with the NUC8's Ethernet hardware or the driver.

The Mojave 10.14.5 NUC8i7BE with IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.4.1d1,
or the Ubuntu Live 18.04 can both ping the network and do some minimal web browser stuff, but if I try to copy ~ 200MB from an SMB share, the copy seizes and fails. Watching ping latency times go up in the 1000ms range.

I'm worried I have some bad Ethernet hardware in my NUC8!! Though an alternative thought is that the IntelMausiEthernet.kext and Ubuntu Ethernet drivers have the same bug, which seems plausible, as I read here, that the IntelMausiEthernet.kext is based on Linux source code.
https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304235-intelmausiethernetkext-for-intel-onboard-lan/

Ubuntu Live 18.04, as best I can tell, from looking at the dmesg output, is using the Network driver
e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 3.2.6-k

I read here that there is a version 2.5.0d0 of the IntelMausiEthernet.kext, but i have not been able to find a download for it.
https://github.com/Mieze/IntelMausiEthernet/commit/f3c69cec20efd24fa467cf16f44ccaae61336766
(Update: I obtained & tested the v2.5.0d0 IntelMausieEthernet.kext, but it did not fix the problem)

I will have to install Windows and test the networking, to rule out bad hardware :(
Fortunately, I backed up the SSD before erasing it, to install macOS. I never bothered setting up the OEM Windows 10 that came with the machine. This is all very slow going as I only have time to work on this intermittently. I need to test this ASAP, in case I have some bad hardware. I've had the unit a couple weeks and worry I may need to return it as defective if Windows also has a problem. :(

======================
Update: A couple days later. Strange development! I received my TRENDnet TU3-ETG USB Ethernet dongle. I installed their 10/19/2017 Mac Driver for macOS 10.9-10.13 (even though this is 10.14.5) from
and reboot. Plugging the Ethernet cable to the dongle, the network works well, and ping latencies to 8.8.8.8 are in the 5-7ms range. I can download Clover very fast. I then plug the Ethernet cable back into the built-in Ethernet jack and wait a few seconds, the network reconnects. I test downloading Clover a couple times, and this too is fast, though the ping latencies to 8.8.8.8 are fluctuating wildly in the 100-1000ms range. I then unplug the dongle and the Ethernet performance goes back to the unusable state. PRETTY WEIRD!!
Anyway! I need to give this quest a rest for a while and move forward with just using the Ethernet dongle that seems to download ok and shows reasonable ping latencies. I hope to revisit this mystery later.

Last edited:
More on the super-slow Ethernet problem, which it sounds like @pathusa92 is also experiencing...

Hi @TechNubi and @parthusa92 as mentioned in other NUC8 threads here and my thread (a study guide) please try this BIOS setting that's reported to provide Gigabit stability, whilst using Rehabman's IntelMausiEthernet 2.4.1d1:

Go to POWER page:
"Secondary Power Settings" section --> Disable "PCIe ASPM Support"

Please advise, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back