Contribute
Register

Can't find /System/Library/kernels/mach_kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.
After spending 1/2 my weekend on this, I found that the "missing mach_kernel" only happens when you're trying to update a prior instillation such as I was doing with Mavericks. I finally gave up and did a clean install and did NOT get any missing mach_kernel message. Chimera has nothing to do with it, as 4.0 is installed with the latest version of MultiBeast, as far as I can tell. I was just not happy that I had to reinstall all my apps again, however, was thrilled to finally be running Yosemite.

So I have been fiddling with this issue a lot myself. It must have something to do with installing on top of another version of OS X because I checked any and all org.chameleon.Boot.plist files and I removed <key>Kernel</key> references from all of them. Unfortunately this had no effect. FYI, in my case I have OSX installed on half of a single drive so deleting that partition and starting over was not an option because it has the potential to corrupt the neighboring Windows 7 installation.

What I found surprising was that the one line of my .plist which was causing the mach_kernel issue had nothing to do with the kernel at all. I was attempting to rename my "Macintosh SSD" partition to "Yosemite". For some reason this would always report back the error. Once removed my problem was fixed.

Here are the lines below. It worked with Mountain Lion and previous Chimera but I guess not now.

<key>Rename Partition</key>
<string>"Macintosh SSD" "Yosemite"</string>

I figured this out after extracting the 'invisible' org.chameleon.Boot.plist file from my Unibeast USB and replacing my /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file with that one.

I hope this helps anyone struggling.

Thanks adobeeditor! That fixed it for me. :clap:

I was struggling to remember what I had changed to make boot fail when it had been working, and you post fixed it for me - I had renamed the partition to "Yosemite" in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back