Contribute
Register

Can't find /System/Library/kernels/mach_kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boot verbose to troubleshoot. Try "-x"...

Thank you so much for the reply RehabMan. You are the best!
With you help I did actually manage to boot into Yosemite and update my Chameleon to 4.0 but still can't boot without the flag

/System/Library/Kernels/kernel as a boot flag

I didn't have any luck adding it to my plist file.

I did as shown in the attachment and added:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

but then i got the message:

"Can't find /System/Library/Kernels/System/Library/Kernels/kernel"

It seems like it was duplicating something - > did i type it in wrong?
You also mentioned just remove all Kernel references...would that be both the Kernel and Kernel Flags ?

Thanks again

Boot verbose to troubleshoot. Try "-x"...

Thank you so much for the reply RehabMan. You are the best!

I am able to boot when I type: /System/Library/Kernels/kernel as a boot flag, but I didn't have any luck adding it to my plist file.

I did as shown in the attachment and added:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

but then i got the message:

"Can't find /System/Library/Kernels/System/Library/Kernels/kernel"

It seems like it was duplicating something.
You also mentioned just remove all Kernel references...would that be both the Kernel and Kernel Flags ?

Thanks again

No need for the "Kernel" specification in org.chameleon.Boot.plist at all. Just remove it.

I did not mention removing "all Kernel references"... just the "Kernel" specification. The "Kernel Flags" specification is something separate (although yours is empty).

Thank you for finding this bug, the issue is we forgot to remove the Boot.plist that was being installed by UniBeast. In the update coming soon, it will no longer overwrite the default Boot.plist.

In the mean time you can fix this manually:

Edit the following hidden file on your UniBeast created stick:

Extra/org.chameleon.Boot/Remove the following 2 lines:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

Or wait for UniBeast 5.0.1 later today.

I just got the "can't find /System/Library/Kernels/mach_kernel" error message, but I'm using UniBeast 5.0.1.
This is not on the first boot after installation, after which I started a Time Capsule restore, but the next boot
(which presumably happened automatically after the restore?).

you can also type in the beginning of chameleon bootscreen "/System/Library/Kernels/kernel" without quotes then type other bootflags , good luck:thumbup:

Note,take care about lower and upper case letters

This seems to work. Can I just make a copy of 'kernel' and name it 'mach_kernel' in the Kernels directory? Or will that not work and/or be brittle in the face of future updates?
(Or am I misunderstanding? I haven't run MultiBeast yet. I hope I have no trouble with whatever I did to get 10.6 working way back when.)

This seems to work. Can I just make a copy of 'kernel' and name it 'mach_kernel' in the Kernels directory? Or will that not work and/or be brittle in the face of future updates?
(Or am I misunderstanding? I haven't run MultiBeast yet. I hope I have no trouble with whatever I did to get 10.6 working way back when.)

Easier to fix your org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Maybe my problem is not really related. When I do "-x" it immediately hangs with:
panic(cpu 0 called 0x...): "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPY PM"@SourceCach/xnu/xnu-2782.1.97/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:916
Debugger called: <panic>
Kernel Extension in backtrace:
sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler(1.0)[...]@0x...->0x...

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown
Boot args: kext-dev-mode=1 -x

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 14.0.0: Fri Sep 19 00:26:44 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2782.1.97~2/RELEASE_X86_64
__HIB text base: 0xffffff8000100000

But when I leave off the "-x" it takes much longer to hang. Or it appears that way. The progress bar eventually gets halfway across, but maybe the progress bar is bogus. I dunno.

Was it a mistake to use a different computer from the one I'm installing on when I downloaded 10.10 and ran UniBeast? I'm trying to make sense of the "version mis-match between Kernel and CPU message." I don't understand how I was able to reboot the first time (and choose my location and start the Time Machine restore) if the Kernel was really mismatched.

update: This seems to be related to SleepEnabler kext. I guess it was restored by Time Machine import?? I think I can go and remove it (if I can remember how to rebuild caches). Sorry to pollute this thread.

It turns out that in /Extras/Extensions (not /System/Library/Extensions) there is:
* Ev0reboot.kext (2009)
* FakeSMC.kext (2010)
* JMicron36xATA.kext (2009)
* JMicron36xSATA.kext (2010)
* LegacyAppleRTC.kext (2009)
* NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (2009)
* SleepEnabler.kext (2010)
* UpstreamDisabler.kext (2009)

I wonder if I need to get rid of all of these old kexts or just SleepEnabler. I guess I'll have to experiment.

update2: I had to get rid of LegacyAppleRTC.kext in addition to SleepEnabler.kext, then it would boot. I left the others, but I don't know if that's a good idea. I notice there is a newer version of FakeSMC.kext on the USB stick.

Last edited:
But I've been running 5.0.1, so it has already been fixed. But just to be sure, I examined the file on the USB stick and there is no <key>Kernel</key>.

Perhaps it is on your HDD at /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Perhaps it is on your HDD at /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

No, that file doesn't exist. But 'mach_kernel' is mentioned in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, dated 2010. So that may be my problem. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

I guess that was brought in by my Time Capsule restore as well? It seems strange.

No, that file doesn't exist. But 'mach_kernel' is mentioned in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, dated 2010. So that may be my problem. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

I guess that was brought in by my Time Capsule restore as well? It seems strange.

Not sure, but blind restores are a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back