1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all,

I am on my final step to getting my Asus Z87I-Deluxe running a 4770K and a Gigabyte GV-N970IXOC graphics card on Yosemite 10.10.1. I have gotten everything in the system up and running (a side from CUDA support for the graphics card) and it is working beautifully, however I have one issue that I have run into. Specifically the system will not boot into Yosemite on its own with Chimera. When Chimera loads off of its USB key and the boot pause finishes counting down, instead of booting into the Yosemite OS, it instead errors with "Can't find mach_kernel/ - Press a key to continue...", if I then just hit enter to bring up boot options and select the only option, my Yosemite OS, by simply hitting enter, without any additional kernel flags, it then boots up fine. I have tried ensuring that the USB key is not only the boot priority, but even the only boot option in the bios. I have also tried pointing the Mach_Kernel to the USB key with the terminal command:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]sudo cp /mach_kernel *drop the USB volume here*[/COLOR]

This didn't cause any change. I am at a loss to fix this and I need it solved for me to be able to unplug my Apple USB keyboard and to be able to reboot the system remotely or allow the system to reboot on its own after a power failure. Also I want to have this problem solved before I move the Chimera install over into the EFI partition of my Yosemite OS SSD.

I've search to no end on this issue and all I am finding is solving this similar problem to boot into the Unibeast installer, and requires boot flags to get it to boot, this is not the case with mine and I am already up and running amazing well (much more stable then my old setup with the Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI motherboard off the recommended build list). Any help would be greatly appreciated that will get me over this final hurdle.

Thanks,
Sean "TheTechnoPilot"

As actually an added note to the problem, I have found that if I let Chimera timeout and try to find the mach_kernel then use a double enter to get to the OS select screen and select the only option, the computer almost instantly kernel panics, while if I override the automatic selection before the timeout, it boots fine.

I am at a loss on why there is this difference, why can Chimera boot fine with a human auto selecting each default option, but not on its own?! :banghead:

As actually an added note to the problem, I have found that if I let Chimera timeout and try to find the mach_kernel then use a double enter to get to the OS select screen and select the only option, the computer almost instantly kernel panics, while if I override the automatic selection before the timeout, it boots fine.

I am at a loss on why there is this difference, why can Chimera boot fine with a human auto selecting each default option, but not on its own?! :banghead:

Have you tried removing the following two lines from /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

<key>kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

The kernel in Yosemite is not called mach_kernel, it is just called kernel (/System/Library/Kernels/kernel).

-bth

Have you tried removing the following two lines from /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

<key>kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>

The kernel in Yosemite is not called mach_kernel, it is just called kernel (/System/Library/Kernels/kernel).

-bth

I had already checked that this was not in my plist and just double checked again, it is not there. So I am unsure why Chimera is looking for mach_kernel.

I had already checked that this was not in my plist and just double checked again, it is not there. So I am unsure why Chimera is looking for mach_kernel.

How about on the USB key? The /Extra folder is probably hidden.

-bth

How about on the USB key? The /Extra folder is probably hidden.

I actually mean the USB key, there is no /Extra folder on my OSX drive where Yosemite is installed (I double checked on this as well by making hidden files/folders visible).

I think you can see my confusion then on the issue, I have downloaded Chimera 4.0.1 separate installer and reinstalled it again to my Chimera drive, just to ensure I am on the latest version, but I believe I already was as my version of Multibeast was only just downloaded in the middle of last month that I used for the install.

I actually mean the USB key, there is no /Extra folder on my OSX drive where Yosemite is installed (I double checked on this as well by making hidden files/folders visible).

I think you can see my confusion then on the issue, I have downloaded Chimera 4.0.1 separate installer and reinstalled it again to my Chimera drive, just to ensure I am on the latest version, but I believe I already was as my version of Multibeast was only just downloaded in the middle of last month that I used for the install.

If by Chimera drive you mean your USB key, why don't you install it to your OS X drive so that you don't need the key to boot?

-bth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back