Contribute
Register

Can't boot into Mojave after installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through the BIOS options you suggested but now when it boots it makes an error sound like "____ _ _ _" (1 long + 3 short). Doesn't even get to the BIOS screen anymore.

On your image 6, you're assuming I have HDMI connected to the motherboard port, but it isn't, it's connected to the graphics card. Anything I should change there?
And how do I get back to the BIOS now?

That BIOS BEEP ___________ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ ____________ suggests Video card not detected.
If your Nvidia GTX 660 TI ( Kepler Micro Architecture, I Presume) is connected to the HDMI of your Monitor as shown by the CLOVER_Options_Graphics Injector Menu, then BIOS _Peripherals_ Initial Display must be PCIE (I Presume you have the Nvidia GTX 660 Ti on PCIE 16 as shown in the image)

If you cannot get back into BIOS Setup Screen:

1. Shut Down PC.
  2. Remove Power Cable from PSU socket.
  3. Press the On/Off switch to Disharge any residual Current
  4. Reseat Nvidia PCIE Card properly and make sure its Monitor connections are OK.
  5. Shunt the Clear CMOS Pins by touching them with a Flathead screw driver tip for 20-30 Seconds to Reset CMOS options or Remove CMOS coin Battery for 20-30 seconds and then reinsert the battery
  6. Reconnect POWER and Reboot
  7. Monitor Screen should show Load Optimized Default BIOS and Boot , Reboot or Enter Setup
  8. Select the Reboot and then in the next reboot press Del key to enter BIOS setup to
  9. Correctly enter all options to boot macOSMojave to use Nvidia as your Initial Primary Display.
  10. Make sure to select your System Disk as the First Boot device
  11. Use CBM Options editing as needed.

Attachments

• 1.PCIE Graphics .png
    1.PCIE Graphics .png
    521.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.Clear CMOS.png
    2.Clear CMOS.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 113
Thanks for the steps!
This motherboard actually has a handy reset CMOS button at the top. It's great because I had to use it plenty of times.

It loaded the optimized defaults and then rebooted as normal and then I was able to get into BIOS setup again. Great stuff!
Then I loaded a previous profile I had saved for Sierra and rebooted. All good.
Then I went through your images again and set everything up, this time paying extra attention to the display settings. Rebooted.
Same error beep code.

Did these steps again trying a bunch of values for the display settings. Every single time I would get the same error beep.
Took 1 step behind and started fresh, adding only 1 setting at a time, saving it to another BIOS profile and rebooting afterwards.
It worked great, until I changed the setting BIOS Features > Display boot option control to UEFI Only. The options here related to UEFI are "UEFI Only" or "UEFI First". I went with the "only" and it would give the error beep sound again.
So I left it alone and it booted.

Then in CBM, I also added the settings you suggested.
But unfortunately it still doesn't boot. Displays the same GFX0 timeout error when it starts to stall. Then it moves very slowly doing other things but eventually goes back to the GFX0 timeout error again (not covered in the photo).

Nevermind lines 7 and 8, that was me disconnecting the keyboard to connect it to the MBP on the side.

Attachments

• IMG_20190623_143204.jpg
    IMG_20190623_143204.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
Thanks for the steps!
This motherboard actually has a handy reset CMOS button at the top. It's great because I had to use it plenty of times.

It loaded the optimized defaults and then rebooted as normal and then I was able to get into BIOS setup again. Great stuff!
Then I loaded a previous profile I had saved for Sierra and rebooted. All good.
Then I went through your images again and set everything up, this time paying extra attention to the display settings. Rebooted.
Same error beep code.

Did these steps again trying a bunch of values for the display settings. Every single time I would get the same error beep.
Took 1 step behind and started fresh, adding only 1 setting at a time, saving it to another BIOS profile and rebooting afterwards.
It worked great, until I changed the setting BIOS Features > Display boot option control to UEFI Only. The options here related to UEFI are "UEFI Only" or "UEFI First". I went with the "only" and it would give the error beep sound again.
So I left it alone and it booted.

Then in CBM, I also added the settings you suggested.
But unfortunately it still doesn't boot. Displays the same GFX0 timeout error when it starts to stall. Then it moves very slowly doing other things but eventually goes back to the GFX0 timeout error again (not covered in the photo).

Nevermind lines 7 and 8, that was me disconnecting the keyboard to connect it to the MBP on the side.
The problem seems to be the stubburn refusal of Graphics kexts to load. This may require ACPI patches. Check the uploaded image of config.plist ACPI for some help.
1.ACPI Patches.png

I'm afraid that didn't work either...
Here's what I did:
I booted into safe mode with "-x". It took a very long time to boot, but it eventually did.

Then I needed to mount EFI to edit config.plist, but EFI would not mount in safe mode.
So I looked around and found there's a way to make it mount, even in safe mode.

But then when loading the modified kext I was getting an error like "Kext rejected due to improper filesystem permissions".
So I searched some more and found how to move around it.

And then I was able to mount EFI! I added those 2 patches you highlighted, saved and rebooted.
Tried both with and without the extra CBM params you suggested some posts ago.

I'm still getting the GFX0 timeout error.
Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20190624_173705.jpg
    IMG_20190624_173705.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
I'm afraid that didn't work either...
Here's what I did:
I booted into safe mode with "-x". It took a very long time to boot, but it eventually did.

Then I needed to mount EFI to edit config.plist, but EFI would not mount in safe mode.
So I looked around and found there's a way to make it mount, even in safe mode.

But then when loading the modified kext I was getting an error like "Kext rejected due to improper filesystem permissions".
So I searched some more and found how to move around it.

And then I was able to mount EFI! I added those 2 patches you highlighted, saved and rebooted.
Tried both with and without the extra CBM params you suggested some posts ago.

I'm still getting the GFX0 timeout error.
Any other suggestions?
  • With so many different file changes ,your system disk must be having corrupt files and it would be very hard to fix it with further troubleshoot.
  • My suggestion is a Fresh Installation of macOSMojave on that disk after it is Repartitioned in GUID and Reformatted in APFS using a properly created new macOSMojave UEFI USB Installer flash disk with a properly edited CLOVER and using the required BIOS options after reloading Optimized Default BIOS.
    • I have GA-Z-77X Chipset Board (see in my profile) similar to your GA-Z77X-UD5H and it is running macOSMojave 10.14.5.
      • if you want, I can upload its EFI and all the BIOS screen shots I am currently using to run a Multiboot system with Win10, Linux and MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and Mojave 10.14.5 (It can run Beta 14.6 )

Please do, they might come in handy.
  • I have uploaded the following:
    • EFI from my macOSMojave 10.14.X System disk as zip
    • The BIOS screen shots that boot the Multi-boot System containing macOSMojave 10.14.5, macOShigh Sierra 10.13.6 , Windows 10 X64 Pro and Ubuntu 16.04 using Clover as the common bootloader
    • I have included CBM screen shots

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    12.5 MB · Views: 63
  • 1.png
    1.png
    182 KB · Views: 48
  • 2.png
    2.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.png
    3.png
    164.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 4.png
    4.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 5.png
    5.png
    198.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 6.png
    6.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 7.png
    7.png
    215.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 9.png
    9.png
    211 KB · Views: 42
  • 10.png
    10.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 47
  • P3040009.JPG
    P3040009.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 41
  • P3040010.JPG
    P3040010.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 38
  • P3040011.JPG
    P3040011.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 34
  • P3040012.JPG
    P3040012.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 41
  • P3040013.JPG
    P3040013.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 38
  • P3040014.JPG
    P3040014.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 32
  • P3040015.JPG
    P3040015.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
  • P3040016.JPG
    P3040016.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 37
  • P3040017.JPG
    P3040017.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 31
  • P3040018.JPG
    P3040018.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 31
  • P3040019.JPG
    P3040019.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 36
  • P3040020.JPG
    P3040020.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 43
  • P3040021.JPG
    P3040021.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 39
  • P3040022.JPG
    P3040022.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 41
  • P3040023.JPG
    P3040023.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 43
  • P3040024.JPG
    P3040024.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 41
  • P3040025.JPG
    P3040025.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 36
  • P3040026.JPG
    P3040026.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 44
  • P3040027.JPG
    P3040027.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 37
Here it is, finally booting.
Your EFI folder helped with missing audio and wifi. Thanks for that!
Even sleep/awake is working great, which was one of the things I had trouble with in a previous build.

Some quirks left to fix:
* Even though the graphics card is recognized, sometimes I get glitches (attached). What should I do to fix that?
* I installed iStat Menus, but there are no sensors at all for me to use it with. Is it safe to install the FakeSMC sensor I had on the previous install (FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext, FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext) or is there a better way to add sensors like GPU and CPU temps to iStat?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 01.27.02.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 01.27.02.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20190625_220055.jpg
    IMG_20190625_220055.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 35
Here it is, finally booting.
Your EFI folder helped with missing audio and wifi. Thanks for that!
Even sleep/awake is working great, which was one of the things I had trouble with in a previous build.

Some quirks left to fix:
* Even though the graphics card is recognized, sometimes I get glitches (attached). What should I do to fix that?
* I installed iStat Menus, but there are no sensors at all for me to use it with. Is it safe to install the FakeSMC sensor I had on the previous install (FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext, FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext, FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext) or is there a better way to add sensors like GPU and CPU temps to iStat?
I have heard Nvidia GTX 660 is known to have this problem as reported by many. See this ->page-49

Just skimmed through a few pages on that thread. Is it just me or there's no solution yet? This is quite annoying...
What have Apple changed for it to stop working properly anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back