Contribute
Register

Can't boot Installer through clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I had some problem: Select Installer and it just go back, and it only works with the vanilla installer (unibeast and "restore BaseSystem.dmg, put mach_kernel...." method work fine though). Replace HFSPlus.efi fixed my problem.

Cheers once it's done copying files will update the thread then :), hopefully with good news.

Really need to get a usb3 pen lol.

Unlike your Mac your hack needs a boot loader. The best solution is to create a generic mac installer as you did, and then install Clover to it...

My Unibeast guide is irrelevant to the discussion. The point was that what you suggested is exactly what he was doing...

Maybe some misunderstanding, he said "none of the other 2 did the trick in this motherboard with clover, but the last one did." :)

Yes, I had some problem: Select Installer and it just go back, and it only works with the vanilla installer (unibeast and "restore BaseSystem.dmg, put mach_kernel...." method work fine though). Replace HFSPlus.efi fixed my problem.

Just a side-note to this discussion.

I prefer the "restore BaseSystem, copy Packages, copy mach_kernel" (eg. not createinstallmedia) as it allows more customization (eg. removing kexts, changing mach_kernel, etc). It is also faster, as you don't have to go through that awkward and time consuming process where the installer is copied somewhere (where?), then verified (with 'one second remaining' for 15-20 minutes!).

Just a side-note to this discussion.

I prefer the "restore BaseSystem, copy Packages, copy mach_kernel" (eg. not createinstallmedia) as it allows more customization (eg. removing kexts, changing mach_kernel, etc). It is also faster, as you don't have to go through that awkward and time consuming process where the installer is copied somewhere (where?), then verified (with 'one second remaining' for 15-20 minutes!).

You're right, but doing that will remove BaseSystem.dmg out of Installer USB, thus remove the capability to create Recovery HD partition (which used BaseSystem.dmg). It's in my theory, so correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Haven't tried it but I'm sure it works, makes sense... :) Of course still needs a boot loader.

You're right, but doing that will remove BaseSystem.dmg out of Installer USB, thus remove the capability to create Recovery HD partition (which used BaseSystem.dmg). It's in my theory, so correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

You're probably right, but I'm not into the recovery partition that much. I find it useless (on real Macs too).

The problem is that for some reason with the default Clover config my install disk couldn't boot with the first method with my z87x-oc, it did fine in my old bios board with mbr setup instead of uefi, anyway yeah i hope it's a matter of placing the hfsiplus and deleting the vbox.

That way would get the best results, clover works fine otherwise, boots the osx drive fine, just not the usb.

Welp, still copying files, grr just want to see if it will do the trick or not, already ordered a usb 3 fast pen to avoid this pita of waiting like 30 mins or so now in the future.

Anyway should be soon.

That way would get the best results, clover works fine otherwise, boots the osx drive fine, just not the usb.
UEFI or Legacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back