Contribute
Register

Can't boot from hard drive with Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the similiar issues when my EFI partition was not seen by UEFI bios. To make it able to boot clover you need to format it as FAT32 and install clover again on Mac Partition (i think it just places the files on EFI partition even if you select OS partition).

Could you please tell me exactly what you did to format EFI to fat32? I am going with High Sierra on Acer 5750G laptop.
I have tried using terminal with newfs_msdos -v EFI /dev/diskXsX command, and also pulling the SSD out of hackintosh and formatting it on the external windows machine, but sadly had no luck with it... If I go with terminal, basically nothing changes, and if I do it on the external machine, Clover or Multibeast can no longer do a proper clover bootloader install. Simple copying of files from the install USB does not work either.

The 'entries' in the boot menu are properly called 'boot options', and there is a 'boot order'. The options and the order are stored as NVRAM variables. They get chosen over /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI which does not appear in the boot order. e.g. an EFI boot option for Clover would specify a hard drive partition and the path to the file /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI.

As an example this page shows how to start Linux every boot by configuring the EFI boot menu.

I am now wondering could this be an issue with my hackintosh. Installed succesfully High Sierra on Acer 5750G laptop, but I can not get past NO BOOT DEVICE if I want to boot from SSD.
I had regular Sierra running quite well on the same machine, but I did something strange to EFI partition on that system in order to boot from SSD - it was always detectable in Disk Utility, I did not have to use clover configurator to mount it. But, I can not seem to replicate it on High Sierra.
Anyhow, I would like to go with it the regular way. So I have it on SSD, with APFS filesystem. I am not sure if APFS could be the issue? I can boot the installed system from install USB, it is just that my BIOS does not see EFI partition on SSD. Do you think adding a custom entry for CLOVERX64.EFI is worth a try? Or should I prevent APFS?
If so, could you please give me a more elaborate explanation of steps for adding an entry for CLOVERX64.EFI? Or to configure firmware EFI boot, or however is it called.
I am on this issue for days!
Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back