Contribute
Register

Cannot Upgrade from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 HELP?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD5-FB
CPU
i7-950
Graphics
GTX 760
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, this is my first post.

Been reading posts on this forum for a while now and I have build a Hackintosh a year and a half ago and has worked perfectly so far.

I have been running 10.6.6 from the beginning and have updated to 10.6.8 so that I can upgrade to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 form the app store. Everything went well but the sound and network card did not work but a simple install of those drivers from Multi Beast and all was well...or so I though.

I attempted to purchase ML from the app store and got a message informing me "We could not complete your purchase. OS X Mountain Lion is not compatible with this computer."

Below are my system specs:

i7 3.1ghz 950
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 Rev: 2 BIOS: FB
12GB DDR3 Corsair Vengence Ram
BFG 768MB 8800GTX
60GB SSD with SL 10.6.8
2TB HDD

I also have some other HDD's which are from my old windows systems:
60GB with Windows 7
1.5TB
500GB

I have not updated any graphics drivers/kexts for my graphics card as everything worked fine after the update to 10.6.8.

What I have tried

Reduced RAM from 12GB to 8Gb and Only 4GB - did not work
Disconnected all other HDD and left only the SSD with SL - did not work

Enabled 64bit mode by editing the com.apple.boot.plist - Now in 64bit mode but still not allowing me to upgrade to ML
Changed system from Mac Pro to iMac back to Mac Pro5, 1 in smbios.plist - made not difference

The only thing I can think of which probably won't make much sense is to flash my bios to the latest stable release from FB to FD.

I really do not know what to do next, seems like no matter what I do, the app store will not allow me to purchase ML.

I have a new SSD where I can do a fresh clean install of Mountain Lion via the USB maker if/when I can buy it from the app store.

* By the way, I know its my fault for not updating to Lion earlier in the year and if I had, then I wouldn't be getting these problems but the reason I didn't was because of all the users complaining about how unstable it was *

Thank You for reading.

I want you to think about this...clearly.

#1 you are using hackintosh and trying to buy "legit" mountain lion from apple store.

#2 you "want" to upgrade from 10.6.8 ..to mountain lion with your "old kext driver of audio, video, lan"

From what i know some driver actually have to fix/patch/update to be compatible with the new Mountain Lion.
With that said, don't ever hope of upgrading sucessfuly from 10.6.8 when you are not even use "official mac"

#3 Your only option is to : do a back up your files to usb drive or external hard drive. and then Reformat with Clean install of Mountain Lion.

#4 Obviously since you can't purchase legally using your "non official mac". There is only 1 other thing to do (you can google for your answer or youtube)

Side note: Once you have installed Mountain Lion and get app store working. " you can buy that app on the newly installed mountain lion ".. which mean you can purchase yes " the mountain lion.app from the app store using a Mountain Lion hackintosh".... Which would fulfill your support. Even though it's "after" and not before.

Last side note: you can go to friend house that have a mac and buy it from there but...If you have to ask on this forum i am assuming you don't have a friend that own official mac? .

So yeah summary: yes It can be done. A person with only Microsoft Windows / linux go buy hackintosh hardware and install Mountain Lion without need a Friend that own official mac.

" your music mp3 archive is quite big don't you think?"

Good luck.

Thank you for replying.

I did legally purchase the Snow Leopard disc from my local Apple store so perhaps I was under the impression that the app store would see it as a legitimate purchase. I obviously didn't know too much about the old kext/drivers to know this would affect it.

The majority of my Friends already have ML on their official macs so they would not be looking to upgrade from 10.8 to 10.8 let alone from 10.6.8.

Would you recommend changing the smbios.plist model in 10.6.8 or going another route?

Finally, I am going to be doing a clean install of ML on another drive so just need to get ML to download from the app store as step 1.

Thanks

I had same problem. To fix you need to change your serial number to one Mac accepts.
I think used chameleon wizard to make a legit serial.
Then I was able to buy the software.

I already said few post ago what you route you should do... but if you insist on changing smbios.plist

I use champlist software to change my smbios mac model + it generate serial number.

So your friend already have mountain lion on their mac. The route I would take is the easy way... go to your friend house buy Mlion app using your apple store account and download to their computer and then copy it to your flash drive. Go back home then make your Mlion usb stick.

Side note: I use mountain Lion so I don't if it will happen to your Snow Leopard. On mountain lion if i change smbios to model MacPro 5,1 i would have to delete a kext file other wise it would "freeze / prevent " my hackintosh to boot up. So unless you are knowledge of how different Mac model work when boot up or have a backup of your Snow leopoard Image Hard drive. I wouldn't change mac model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back