GA-Z170X-GAMING 3
CPU
I5 Quad core 6400k
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am running El Capitan on a GA-Z170X and I am unable to run separate displays on my monitors. I have a dual monitor setup, (Asus 22" and an LG 21.5") the Asus is running to the hdmi port on the motherboard and the LG is running to the DV-I port on the motherboard. The displays are mirrored and there is no option in system preferences to use separate displays.

I assume you're trying to use the HD530. If that's the case, is it really running with hardware acceleration? (I ask this because maybe you're trying to use dual monitors without first setting the GPU support properly).

I managed to get dual monitors (without mirroring) on the HD530, but I had to hot-plug the second monitor after boot for it to work. Otherwise, the display got corrupted. The HD530 seems to be somewhat buggy with ElCapitan. I just upgraded to a passively cooled GT 730 while NVIDIA decides the future for Pascal on MacOS, and the GT730 works much better than the HD530 (I had to install NVIDIA web drivers, though). With the GT 730 dual monitors work nice (no need to hot-plug).

I assume you're trying to use the HD530. If that's the case, is it really running with hardware acceleration? (I ask this because maybe you're trying to use dual monitors without first setting the GPU support properly).

I managed to get dual monitors (without mirroring) on the HD530, but I had to hot-plug the second monitor after boot for it to work. Otherwise, the display got corrupted. The HD530 seems to be somewhat buggy with ElCapitan. I just upgraded to a passively cooled GT 730 while NVIDIA decides the future for Pascal on MacOS, and the GT730 works much better than the HD530 (I had to install NVIDIA web drivers, though). With the GT 730 dual monitors work nice (no need to hot-plug).

Is there a way where i don't have to buy hardware? I spent all my money on my build and setup. I tried hot plugging both monitors and it doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
The 530 definitely supports dual monitors on el capitan with a few patches. I don't think both monitors can be on when you boot, only one can be on.
1. install the 4 port patch, set inject intel = true, add ig-platform-id=0x19120000
2. add patches that set the connector type properly for each port
3. run the AGDPFix if you're on a SMBIOS that requires it (MacPro 6,1; iMac 17,12; iMac 17,2 I believe are the ones that require it)
4. make sure you have at least 64MB dedicated VRAM allocated to the iGPU in the BIOS
5. through trial and error determine which monitor must be on at boot, and determine how to connect the second at the desktop/after POST by either hot-plugging or simply turning it on
6. even on my setup where I know dual monitors work, sometimes when I boot, the monitors go dark and I have to reboot, sometimes twice, before it will finally allow both monitors to come on cleanly, so be patient and retry things.

The 530 definitely supports dual monitors on el capitan with a few patches. I don't think both monitors can be on when you boot, only one can be on.
1. install the 4 port patch, set inject intel = true, add ig-platform-id=0x19120000
2. add patches that set the connector type properly for each port
3. run the AGDPFix if you're on a SMBIOS that requires it (MacPro 6,1; iMac 17,12; iMac 17,2 I believe are the ones that require it)
4. make sure you have at least 64MB dedicated VRAM allocated to the iGPU in the BIOS
5. through trial and error determine which monitor must be on at boot, and determine how to connect the second at the desktop/after POST by either hot-plugging or simply turning it on
6. even on my setup where I know dual monitors work, sometimes when I boot, the monitors go dark and I have to reboot, sometimes twice, before it will finally allow both monitors to come on cleanly, so be patient and retry things.

I installed the intel HD 530 driver from multi beast and now my computer will not boot up. I have tried deleting the .kekt file however every time I try to boot my computer from Macintosh HD or Recovery it gets to about 75% and the stops.

I installed the intel HD 530 driver from multi beast and now my computer will not boot up. I have tried deleting the .kekt file however every time I try to boot my computer from Macintosh HD or Recovery it gets to about 75% and the stops.
My understanding is that the multibeast 530 checkbox simply updates config.plist with the same patches I already mentioned. And yet, you're not the first person I've heard who used it and experienced an issue. I personally did my changes manually since they were simple enough and multibeast hadn't yet been updated.

Note that the .kext file is the driver file, you probably don't want to delete that, and to my knowledge the multibeast 530 checkbox doesn't install any .kext files.

I don't know enough about graphics drivers to know how the OS falls back. I know you can use a Pascal card in a hackintosh, for which there are no drivers, and you'll get to the desktop but the graphics will be unaccelerated, which is to say, the OS will fall back to generic drivers. Ideally you would recover the .kext file you deleted, and reverse the changes made by multibeast to get a working OS again, then move forward slowly and recoverably with small changes. Do you have a second bootable partition? Maybe the USB install stick?

Worst case scenario you're looking at rebuilding your OS, if you can't back out your config.plist changes and reinstall the .kext driver you deleted. I always keep backups of config.plist as I make changes and I have a second bootable partition so I can fix problems I create for myself.

My understanding is that the multibeast 530 checkbox simply updates config.plist with the same patches I already mentioned. And yet, you're not the first person I've heard who used it and experienced an issue. I personally did my changes manually since they were simple enough and multibeast hadn't yet been updated.

Note that the .kext file is the driver file, you probably don't want to delete that, and to my knowledge the multibeast 530 checkbox doesn't install any .kext files.

I don't know enough about graphics drivers to know how the OS falls back. I know you can use a Pascal card in a hackintosh, for which there are no drivers, and you'll get to the desktop but the graphics will be unaccelerated, which is to say, the OS will fall back to generic drivers. Ideally you would recover the .kext file you deleted, and reverse the changes made by multibeast to get a working OS again, then move forward slowly and recoverably with small changes. Do you have a second bootable partition? Maybe the USB install stick?

Worst case scenario you're looking at rebuilding your OS, if you can't back out your config.plist changes and reinstall the .kext driver you deleted. I always keep backups of config.plist as I make changes and I have a second bootable partition so I can fix problems I create for myself.

I tried booting from a bootable usb drive and it won't work. I get the same screen when I try to boot it, my guess is that it is unable to boot osx but I don't know why that would be happening. I can't figure out how to get to the desktop so I have no idea how to remove the file that's causing the problem.

Update, I ran the recovery Hd and now instead of stopping the upload it is going into a kernel panic

Attachments

• 20170112_195620.jpg
    20170112_195620.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 169
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back