Contribute
Register

Cannot boot into Windows after Opencore OSX migration

It doesn't run - I get the icon - and the icon does nothing. Tried the latest version (2.1.8) all the way back to (2.0.4) it just sits up there in the menu bar mocking me when I click on it...
Did you try clicking the icon?. The hard disk with the EFI will show up in the window with a mount button. Click mount and you'll be asked for your password, when entered the EFI will be mounted on the desktop. Right clicking the description will update your EFI.

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 12.38.08 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 12.38.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Did you try clicking the icon?. The hard disk with the EFI will show up in the window with a mount button. Click mount and you'll be asked for your password, when entered the EFI will be mounted on the desktop. Right clicking the description will update your EFI.

View attachment 572795 View attachment 572796
I did yes.. clicking it does nothing, other than hearing my mouse make a click sound, lol, not sure what the deal is. I have several other menu apps and they all work. I'll try running it on my earlier test install drive (which has nothing but the OS on it), no apps, nothing, and see if it works.

Just added a new EFI folder to my post #41 above.
Please read it, test it !
I didn't have anything listed for serial/parallel ports because this motherboard doesn't have any, wasn't sure if the entry was needed or not.. ..and is "OEM" ok for the UUID? Or do I need to put that back in?

You need to use your old values .
View attachment 572801

I used OEM value just to validate the config.plist file.
If you need to genenerate other values ( not now ) you may use :
OK! This is getting fn scary.. Almost could not get my original EFI back on the drive.... /ensuingpanic
Took lots of tweaking in Windows to be able to access and write to the APFS partition. Recovered from that thankfully.

I made (the best I can follow) a new OC (9.5) boot USB - but booting to that either hangs deep into verbose, and I cannot tell what it is doing, or my USB stick goes dark?!?

Does anyone have a 'known bootable' Comet Lake EFI folder to put on a USB stick so I can figure out wtf I need to do in my bios to make it boot?
I either cannot follow Dartania's guide or there is something in my bios blocking OC9.5 from booting.

View attachment 572795 View attachment 572796
Well I still cannot get that tool to work - it is in the menu bar, but does not open or do anything when I click on it. It may be that my OC is too old (6.4), as the app says its for OC versions xx and above - which is a later version than I am using.

I have sort of resolved the initial issue of not being able to boot to Windows at all while my MacOS drive is connected by just reinstalling Windows with the MacOS drive connected - and now I can go through the bios Boot Menu and select the Windows Manager Partition to boot into Windows.
It is not as graceful as being able to just select Windows in the OC menu - but functional for my Windows purposes which is just gaming.

Edit/Update:
The Windows drive was GUID partitioned through Disk Utility before install, and after Windows repartitioning it and installing it still shows to be GUID... so I'm still leaning towards a bios setting or the ACPI error.
**Did I mention Windows is throwing a sad face Windows ACPI error screen?**

It might be something resolved by using the current OC release - however after two weeks, and lots of peoples input, including custom EFI folder etc, I cannot get the current release of OC to boot my computer.
Apparently I'm stuck with OC 6.4 for now, which apparently Windows doesn't like. So I'm just using the Bios Boot Menu to get to Windows atm.

Last edited:
Back