Contribute
Register

Can I use the Thunderbolt display with GA-Z77X-UP5 TH but use Nvidia GTX 670?

Status
Not open for further replies.
True that! Not trying to question you in any way, just want to keep my hopes up ;-) I do know that Intel and Apple has a close relationship though so I don't think it's entirely unrealistic that they could make Intel create a Thunderbolt-enabled multi-CPU chipset.

Yes you are correct, Intel 'could' make a compatible chipset if they wanted to, one thing though, what iGPU would they used since its a multi-processor setup and the iGPU is in the CPU. Apple won't release a half working TB setup, people would still connect TB displays and complain they don't work even if Apple clearly stated no GFX support.

I got the 27" Apple Cinema Display because also from what I understand, the 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display requires a Thunderbolt port to receive a graphics signal. The only other difference between the displays that's not listed above is the Thunderbolt display has the "FaceTime HD" front facing camera instead of the "iSight" camera on the ACD.

I'm up and running great for several months now with the 27" ACD plugged directly into one of the Mini DisplayPort's on my AMD HD 6870. This setup will also work with one of the NVIDIA GTX 600 series cards that has a DisplayPort output, as long as you use one of these: DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Adapter

Dil83

Does this resolve the iTunes purchased videos (HD) and trailer issue ?

What I don't get is that all 15" MBPros and iMacs come with iGPU & dGPU so Apple has to have an automatic switching method (old MBPro you had to switch manually) either in software or hardware.

Anybody knows how it work on genuine MBPro and iMacs?

Real Macs like my Macbook Pro or iMac have Apple designed hardware gfx switching which no PC mobo has, Intel allows then to pip the dedicated GFX over the TB which no other manufacture is allowed to do. The reason Apple is allowed is because they helped Intel to develop this technology and helped fund its development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back