Contribute
Register

Can I: Big Sur this Z390 AORUS PRO with INTEL Core i9 9900K ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
INTEL Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake
Graphics
Radeon VII 16GB
Hi all,
Last year thanks to this forum I was able to achieve my first build. Unfortunately Mojave is now obsolete for my purposes and I am planning to go to Big Sur.

Do you think it is possible to update without changing anything from the hardware? Here the specs:

HACKINTOSH BUILD Sept.2020

Operating System
OSX Mojave 10.14.6

MOTHERBOARD
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO

PROCESSOR

GRAPHIC CARD
RADEON VII (16GB)

RAM
RAM 16X4 (64gb) G. SKILL RIPJAWS3600

OTHERS
PSU: Corsair RM1000i 1000W
NOCTUA CPU COOLER NH-D15
2x 140mm Noctua fans
2x HDMI External Monitors
1x BlackMagic DeckLink Card (for SDI Monitor)

STORAGE
Start Disk: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
12TB Raid (3x4TB Seagate Barracuda)
12TB Backup Raid (12TB Seagate Barracuda)

Any comment is much appreciated!
Thanks!

It probably is as simple as clicking on "Update" in Software update. What is your bootloader and it version?

I am using Clover Configurator v. 5.11.0.0

Hi all,
Last year thanks to this forum I was able to achieve my first build. Unfortunately Mojave is now obsolete for my purposes and I am planning to go to Big Sur.

Do you think it is possible to update without changing anything from the hardware? Here the specs:

Operating System
OSX Mojave 10.14.6

MOTHERBOARD
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO

PROCESSOR

GRAPHIC CARD
RADEON VII (16GB)

RAM

OTHERS
NOCTUA CPU COOLER NH-D15
2x 140mm Noctua fans

STORAGE

Thanks!
Your hardware is compatible with MacOS Big Sur. However, if you plan to install and run Big Sur you will most likely have to upgrade your bootloader. If you were using Clover to boot Mojave, you will have to switch to OpenCore or upgrade to Clover 5124 or later for booting Big Sur.

If possible I would recommend using a new disk to install and run Big Sur and keep your old Mojave drive as backup. If there are any problems you can still have access to Mojave using your old drive.

These are very good tips thanks.

So my next steps should be:
1 note down all my BIOS settings and keep my ssd with Mojave in a safe place
2 update Clover or change to OpenCore, get an SSD to install and run Big Sur
3 revert if necessary

Is OpenCore easier for someone like me, who is just starting? I remember I had a few days of battle with Clover to get things going.

Is OpenCore easier for someone like me, who is just starting?
The Dortania guide is well written, step by step and easy to follow. Start with this:

It takes some time to learn what all the Quirks do but it's best long term to go with OC today. Clover doesn't have the extensive dev team that OpenCore does. OC will give you the best support for newer versions of macOS like Monterey (12) and beyond.

Hi all,

Operating System
OSX Mojave 10.14.6

MOTHERBOARD
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO

PROCESSOR

GRAPHIC CARD
RADEON VII (16GB)

RAM

OTHERS
NOCTUA CPU COOLER NH-D15
2x 140mm Noctua fans

STORAGE

Thanks!
You can try Hackindrom. There is an OpenCore EFI for Z390 Aorus Pro available there.

Last edited:
The Dortania guide is well written, step by step and easy to follow. Start with this:

It takes some time to learn what all the Quirks do but it's best long term to go with OC today. Clover doesn't have the extensive dev team that OpenCore does. OC will give you the best support for newer versions of macOS like Monterey (12) and beyond.
Dear trs96 thank you for the guide, it is indeed "easy" to follow even for me. I have created my EFI and soon I will try to boot. thanks!

You can try Hackindrom. There is an OpenCore EFI for Z390 Aorus Pro available there.

@Ben42, I have checked the app and the long thread, but I don't see how this can help me, since I don't want to update my OC (because I only have Clover installed in my hackintosh):

Does the app also create an EFI folder from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back