Contribute
Register

Calling Early Ivy Bridge Pioneers - Share Your Experiences!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No complaints here. There is a lot of crummy information out there to sift through, and this site is like an oasis in that respect. The tools are pretty solid once you figure out which ones you need. Kudos on the people who maintain them! That has to be a ton of work.

By the way... what's the story behind the names UniBeast and MultiBeast?

MSI Z77MA-G45 works pretty nicely. And currently I think it's the best option for a micro-atx configuration. I'm able to sleep, use native CPU power management, iCloud, etc...

A few caveats.. I did have to use a patched BIOS to get native power management going. It's easy to find if you search the forums. The MSI board has a nice feature that lets you try new BIOS firmware by loading it from a USB drive, so I was able to test before flashing and potentially bricking everything. Peace of mind and all that.

The other issue I had was with a .kext I installed with MultiBeast. The NVidia FakeSMC Plugin caused intermittent Kernel Panics on boot. Which would occur about half the time I booted normally, but never when I booted with the verbose switch. Removing it resolved the issue.

And finally, I needed to generate a UUID and configure boot loader to use it. Seems with MSI boards it defaults to nothing, which causes some problems with booting and the App Store.

The only software issue I've experienced so far is with WebGL. Seems any sites using it cause Safari to go into a crash-and-restart loop. But that's pretty minor.

Hello

I got my Panther Point Systen since a few weeks now,
and at the moment i still have mixed feelings about it.

Everything works pretty well at the moment, spent lots of time on getting AppleHDA and VoodooHDA to work on my Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WiFi.

I am still a little disappointed that SPDIF doesnt work on VoodooHDA yet, and that i can't get Mic In to work with AppleHDA.

But that Stuff is more related to my lack of reading skills while ordering the new Mainboard, i wanted to get the the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WiFi and wondered why it was so cheap on Amazon. But since the Board will be replaced as soon i can get a Board with Thunderbolt (made by Gigabyte hopefully) i don't really care.

My 3770K performs pretty good, overclocked to 4.5 GHz and running stable, a little warm, but stable.

Too bad that i don't really need all this performance, since all i am doing since i got the new Hardware is trying to get my VIA VL800 USB3 Ports and the VIA VT2020 Soundchip to work. The good thing about such a fast system is, that i dont have to wait very long when i need to reboot.

blah...

bye :)

Attachments

• Geekbench_64.tiff
    683.1 KB · Views: 227
No luck installing Lion for me (see: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=65291)

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
i5 3570K (Ivy Bridge)
AMD Radeon HD 6870

I ran Unibeast and BridgeHelper and after I click on the USB drive when I boot the grey apple loading screen comes up for about 30 seconds and then a "No" icon (circle with line through it) pops up and the install screen never loads.

cl0ak said:
No luck installing Lion for me (see: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=65291)

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
i5 3570K (Ivy Bridge)
AMD Radeon HD 6870

I ran Unibeast and BridgeHelper and after I click on the USB drive when I boot the grey apple loading screen comes up for about 30 seconds and then a "No" icon (circle with line through it) pops up and the install screen never loads.

thats odd, i have EXACTLY the same hardware and my install went flawless! up and running in under 10 minutes.

I prepared and SSD with unibeast (hooked up to my mbp via usb cable, instead of usb drive, but thats works the same, only it works a lot faster as i now install form internal ssd to internal ssd ;)

then bridgehelper

then install lion,

boot again from installer, use terminal to swap kernels,

boot again from installer and choose lion, run multibeast AND bridge helper and reboot..

cl0ak said:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
i5 3570K (Ivy Bridge)
AMD Radeon HD 6870

Boot in verbose so you can see what is oging on. Have a look at http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0 ... -boot.html, it explains everything;).

synnys said:
cl0ak said:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
i5 3570K (Ivy Bridge)
AMD Radeon HD 6870

thats odd, i have EXACTLY the same hardware and my install went flawless! up and running in under 10 minutes.

I prepared and SSD with unibeast (hooked up to my mbp via usb cable, instead of usb drive, but thats works the same, only it works a lot faster as i now install form internal ssd to internal ssd ;)

then bridgehelper

then install lion,

boot again from installer, use terminal to swap kernels,

boot again from installer and choose lion, run multibeast AND bridge helper and reboot..

Looks like the problem was the USB flash drive. I used a 250GB WD USB external and made an 8GB partition and used Unibeast/BridgeHelper on that and now Lion installs fine. I'll let you know if I have any questions, since you have the same setup as me. Thanks!

Side Note to other people trying to install Lion via Unibeast: Don't use the SanDisk Cruzer 32GB flash drive.

First off, big thanks to tony, macman and everyone who's contributed on this site! It is hands down the best source of information and tools.

Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H (F3)
i5-3570k running at stock speed
9600GT video w/ 512MB
64GB Crucial M4 SSD
1 TB WD hard drive
8GB RAM running at 1600 (Profile 1 in BIOS)

Currently running 10.7.4 with Bridgehelper 5.0

Installed initially with Unibeast and Multibeast, upgraded with Combo Update to 10.7.4, then used Bridgehelper and Multibeast with UserDSDT (no DSDT installed)

Working: almost everything. Sleeps perfectly, audio fixed using AppleHDARollback and the updated kext.

Problems:
1) If I boot with the USB stick made using Unibeast and Bridgehelper 5.0, Disk Utility does not see my SATA drives.

2) USB 3.0 not working. Shows in System Profiler as USB High Speed instead of Super Speed.

3) Some instability. I don't usually get fullblown kernel panics, but occasionally the mouse will freeze and nothing short of a hardware shutdown will help. I haven't isolated the causes, but usually it happens after waking from sleep, I think.

I'll be interested in hearing whether others with this board/processor have similar issues.

Thanks again, tony and crew!

My system has the following components

MSI Z77A-G43
Intel Core i5-3570K
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870

For the fun I decided to be a bit adventurous and did not go the Gigabyte way. The 6 USB2.0 ports on the back panel and the 6 SATA ports of this card were exactly what I needed for my setup.

I made the install using files from the MacBook Pro Mid 2012 update since bridge helper 5.0 was not yet available at that time.

System is perfectly stable and all my apps are running so far without issues (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, iWork, Lightroom, Final Cut Pro X, Handbrake, iBank, iTunes,...). No issue with iCloud either.

Geekbench without overclocking is 10800 and 12950 when setting turbo ratio to 43 on all cores (system is also completely stable with this setting).

There is no need to manually define the UUID (as opposed to what I read for MSI Z77MA-G45) and Web GL demos are running fine (Tested with Chrome).

Power Management (speedstep) is working fine with a patched BIOS that can be found on this forum.
USB3 is working fine, once you disable "Legacy USB" in the BIOS, this however creates two issues : keyboard is not available in Chimera, USB3 ports will only accept USB 3.0 or USB 1.0 devices
Sleep is not working properly. The system sleep, wake on a key press, seems to be running but it is not possible to interact with it (either with mouse of keyboard)

I did not try to get sound working since I have an external USB sound card (DAC).

The two issues above are no problem for my own use but they may be show stopper for others.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
i5 3570K (Ivy Bridge)
AMD Radeon HD 6870

I got Lion running and it works great except for these two things:
1. eSATA port on back of motherboard doesn't work
2. Audio doesn't work (I put the new AppleHDA on the desktop and ran KextBeast--I think that was all I was supposed to do).

Tony thank you for all the amazing tools provided here and a wonderful place with like minded individuals to tinker.

I just did my first build and so far its working out almost perfectly.

Core i7-3770
ASUS Sabertooth Z77
16GB 1600 DDR3
256GB SATA III MLC SSD
GeForce GTX 570 1280MB
10.7.4 via UniBeast + BridgeHelper 5.0

System appears very stable, no KPs at all since installation and heavy photoshop work and lots of Diablo 3.
Sound works great via MultiBeast installation.
iCloud is working.
GTX 570 is doing a weird thing where it only works properly if I let the display go to sleep and then wake up and unlock with password.

The only thing right now that isn't functional is Sleep/Wake and the need to still use NullCPUPowerManagement kext due to this being an ASUS board.

Also I noticed some people with a pretty similar build to mine with 15000+ GeekBench scores.

My GeekBench 2.0 64bit score is 13180

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back