Contribute
Register

Calendar Hogging upto 90% CPU - Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Feartech
Yes have been through The New ... and checked that my 9 usb ports work/recognised in Hackintool. It made no difference to the current problem and not anything else as far as I could check.

I still have the same EFI that I posted at #12 except without the boot flag: cpus=2. I have amended and attach.

Attachments

• EFI 24-8-22.zip
    47.6 MB · Views: 15
cpus=1 restricts the OS to using a single core whereas cpus=2 allows the use of two cores.
I cannot think of a better word to describe using both arguments together.

Have you tried only using cpus=2 ?

The cpus=X argument is a poor workaround rather than a fix.
From some reading it uses cpus=1 for a more stable initial boot then ignores it and at some stage, it sets 2 cores to run.

Yes I have tried just cpus=2 as I said before
“If I don't select cpus=1 then whatever I put in a boot flag eg cpus=2 it will boot with all 4 cores and I get into the difficulty of not being able to shut down.”

The cpus=X argument is a poor workaround rather than a fix.”
Absolutely agree I made a bicycle not a Jag. It would not only be elegant to get a proper fix but even better if I could get 4 cores without the trouble of shutting down.

OK, try the EFI below. It is nearly identical to the last just with these two changes.
  1. Deleted debug.log, large file not needed for booting.
  2. Replaced AptioMemoryFix.efi with OpenRuntime.efi.
See if that helps.
Hi Edhawk

I was intrigued to find out how your EFIs would go in Safe Boot (putting –x as boot flag)

Version1: Got to the Clover screen and after selecting the Mojave drive ended up with “To report this panic”

Version 2: Only got to the first boot screen ending “End of randomisation” and just sat there.

So I just tried by moving your config.plist into my working EFI.

Version 1: Booked just fine, the screen from DVI port worked but the one from HDMI didn’t.
Shutdown: Did not, ending with “Report this panic”
Changed SMBIOS to Mac Pro6,1 from Imac 19,2 and when booted got both screens but still got panic at shutdown

Version 2: Booked just fine the screen from DVI port worked but the one from HDMI didn’t.
Shutdown: Screens turned off but computer sat there with lights on doing nothing.
Changed SMBIOS to Mac Pro6,1 from Imac 19,2 and when booted got both screens. Shutdown same as before.

Hi Edhawk

I was intrigued to find out how your EFIs would go in Safe Boot (putting –x as boot flag)

Version1: Got to the Clover screen and after selecting the Mojave drive ended up with “To report this panic”

Version 2: Only got to the first boot screen ending “End of randomisation” and just sat there.

So I just tried by moving your config.plist into my working EFI.

Version 1: Booked just fine, the screen from DVI port worked but the one from HDMI didn’t.
Shutdown: Did not, ending with “Report this panic”
Changed SMBIOS to Mac Pro6,1 from Imac 19,2 and when booted got both screens but still got panic at shutdown

Version 2: Booked just fine the screen from DVI port worked but the one from HDMI didn’t.
Shutdown: Screens turned off but computer sat there with lights on doing nothing.
Changed SMBIOS to Mac Pro6,1 from Imac 19,2 and when booted got both screens. Shutdown same as before.
very surprised to not see any files in your ACPI/Patched folder??
missing:
SSDT-EC.aml
SSDT-PLUG.aml
SSDT-AWAC.aml

still no evidence of your USBports.kext in your clover/kexts/other folder

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is still not required

only 1 ethernet kext is required

this mess:
cpus=1 cpus=2 -v nvda_drv=1 slide=0 npci=0x2000 rootless=0 kext-dev-mode=1 -disablegfxfirmware

should only need to be:

-v

unless you need npci=0x2000

Code:
<key>IntelGFX</key>
            <string>0x59168086</string>

should be:
Code:
<key>IntelGFX</key>
            <string>0x0</string>

and you are still Injecting Intel in your config.plist...

you didn't make any of the changes required from post 13

very surprised to not see any files in your ACPI/Patched folder??
missing:
SSDT-EC.aml
SSDT-PLUG.aml
SSDT-AWAC.aml

still no evidence of your USBports.kext in your clover/kexts/other folder

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is still not required

only 1 ethernet kext is required

this mess:
cpus=1 cpus=2 -v nvda_drv=1 slide=0 npci=0x2000 rootless=0 kext-dev-mode=1 -disablegfxfirmware

should only need to be:

-v

unless you need npci=0x2000

Code:
<key>IntelGFX</key>
            <string>0x59168086</string>

should be:
Code:
<key>IntelGFX</key>
            <string>0x0</string>

and you are still Injecting Intel in your config.plist...

you didn't make any of the changes required from post 13
Hi Feartech

Thanks for your further advice.

Be rest assured I have made ALL the changes previously suggested plus I have 5 pages of recent notes on what changes I have made and the results.

I am sorry you think I have ignored your previous advice, I most certainly have not.

I have though always gone back after any change(s) to my base config/EFI which works whether it has unnecessary things or not eg too many Ethernet kexts, injecting Intel.

I have gone back to the base if the changes have either made no difference or have been detrimental.

I did have USBports.kext but it did nothing so went back to the base.

The ‘mess’ is necessary as I explained in recent past posts.

To stop calendar hogging CPU I need both cpus=1 and cpus=2. If I have neither I get 4 cores and then am unable to shutdown. Perhaps other than –v the other things might not be necessary but also don’t seem to be doing any harm either, unless you know other wise.

To clarify, I am trying to achieve all:

1. My hack runs all the present programmes as has for years;
2. Calender stops hogging all the CPU;
3. Getting all 4 cores working; and
4. Being able to shutdown.

I have achieved 1, 2 & 4 with whatever EFI I have because I have cpus=1 and cpus=2. I can achieve 3 at the price of not achieving 4.

I will make the further changes you have suggested in the hope it meets the above 4 criteria. Changes to ACPI/Patched folder, though, will need a bit of a learning curve.

Thanks

Hi Feartech

Thanks for your further advice.

Be rest assured I have made ALL the changes previously suggested plus I have 5 pages of recent notes on what changes I have made and the results.

I am sorry you think I have ignored your previous advice, I most certainly have not.

I have though always gone back after any change(s) to my base config/EFI which works whether it has unnecessary things or not eg too many Ethernet kexts, injecting Intel.

I have gone back to the base if the changes have either made no difference or have been detrimental.

I did have USBports.kext but it did nothing so went back to the base.

The ‘mess’ is necessary as I explained in recent past posts.

To stop calendar hogging CPU I need both cpus=1 and cpus=2. If I have neither I get 4 cores and then am unable to shutdown. Perhaps other than –v the other things might not be necessary but also don’t seem to be doing any harm either, unless you know other wise.

To clarify, I am trying to achieve all:

1. My hack runs all the present programmes as has for years;
2. Calender stops hogging all the CPU;
3. Getting all 4 cores working; and
4. Being able to shutdown.

I have achieved 1, 2 & 4 with whatever EFI I have because I have cpus=1 and cpus=2. I can achieve 3 at the price of not achieving 4.

I will make the further changes you have suggested in the hope it meets the above 4 criteria. Changes to ACPI/Patched folder, though, will need a bit of a learning curve.

Thanks
if you don't make all the changes, then no, it won't work

I have carried out all but a couple of the changes suggested, incorporating them into a single EFI, even managing to arrange smbios iMac 19,2.

Exceptions were: it requires slide=0 to boot at all and as suspected npci=0x2000 had to be set.

The computer would still not consistently shut down when 4 cores were running.

I tried many variations of settings, in addition to recommended ones, the best I got was selecting darkwake=10.

- Started from cold - shutdown OK
- Started from cold – shutdown OK
– Started from cold – but this third time didn’t shutdown but restarted as in all other situations.

I would have thought if did it once it would always do it.

As this theme, Calendar hogging CPU, has been ‘solved’ by running 2 cores and so as not to “thread jack” my own thread, I have created another one: “CPU running 4 cores won’t shutdown but 2 cores will”.

The link to that is: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/cpu-running-4-cores-wont-shut-down-but-2-cores-will.321957/

Thanks for all the help given in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back