Contribute
Register

Calendar Hogging upto 90% CPU - Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I even try this I want to thank you so much Edhawk for using your expertise and time to make up a EFI for me. I am most grateful. I shall report back to you on how it goes.

Hi Edhawk

I have three internal drives Samsung 850, 870 and WD platter. All have EFI’s and all run Mojave so I can boot from and to any.

I normally boot from and to the 870.

Took a copy of my 850 EFI then substituted your EFI into the 850. Selected the 850 in BIOS as the default boot.

Firstly I got your impressive theme screen and selected the 850 and then got this screen (redacted numbers in case they were private)

Edhawk scree1.jpg

And after pressing the space bar got this:
Edhawk screen 2.jpg

Pressed the reset button on computer and tried again - same.

Reverted to booting 870 from 870.

OK, try the EFI below. It is nearly identical to the last just with these two changes.
  1. Deleted debug.log, large file not needed for booting.
  2. Replaced AptioMemoryFix.efi with OpenRuntime.efi.
See if that helps.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 33
Thanks again Edhawk for your time and trouble.

Unfortunately I got to the first error screen as in the previous post and after pressing the space bar just got a black screen.

Left for a few minutes and computer seemed to be doing nothing.

Rebooted with same result.

I'll have a look at this again tomorrow (Saturday) as it is late here in London.

I have been spending the last few days doing the ‘somewhat informed monkey principle’ and have been partially successful.
By select cpus=1 and boot flag cpus=2 I have stopped Calendar chewing up CPU and needing to be force quit.
cpus settings.jpg

This gives me 2 cores out of 4 which is better than I had before and didn’t know. This can be ascertained using
Activity Monitor/ CPU History. It boots and shuts down fine.

I can get the 4 cores by either just not selecting cpus=1 or selecting cpus=4 as a boot flag. Hack works just fine EXCEPT it won’t SHUTDOWN consistently – well really not at all.

For instance one of the many things I tried was selecting each DSTD patch to test, on most after changing the patch/restarting I’d select ‘shutdown’ which would show “cpu halted” and then shutdown. After starting up again from cold, selecting shutdown it would just keep rebooting after selecting shutdown. Those are the best case scenarios.

(Tried things like EvOreboot.kext, EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and disabling ErP in BIOS...........)

I have got to a solution to stop Calendar hogging all the CPU with a two wheeled bicycle whereas I would have preferred to get there with a four wheeled Jaguar. Another solution waiting to be found.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Any suggestions gratefully received
Don't use EvOreboot.kext, it is not compatible with Mojave.

Using both cpus=1 and cpus=2 at the same time is a nonsense - You should not be using either.

zip and attach your /EFI folder.

Hi Pilgrim

I would not describe my part solution/efforts as 'nonsense' though I agree an unusual solution. We live and learn. Let me explain further.

It works.

If I don't select cpus=1 then whatever I put in a boot flag eg cpus=2 it will boot with all 4 cores and I get into the difficulty of not being able to shut down.

If I do the combination of cpus=1 and cpus=2 then it ends up with 2 cores running, solves the problem with calendar hogging CPU and will shutdown ok.

cpus=3 has the same problem as cpus=4 of not being able to shutdown.

If I just select cpus=1 it only boots with one core and remains with only one core.

Trust me.

Sure if there is a solution with neither cpus=1 and cpus=2 being selected that
1. Stops the calendar hogging cpu
2. uses all 4 cores and
3. I can shutdown without trouble

I'll be in it.

The EFI I attached at post #12 is the same without cpus=2 as a boot flag, it will save me the trouble of redacting serial numbers again.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi Pilgrim

I would not describe my part solution/efforts as 'nonsense' though I agree an unusual solution. We live and learn. Let me explain further.

It works.

If I don't select cpus=1 then whatever I put in a boot flag eg cpus=2 it will boot with all 4 cores and I get into the difficulty of not being able to shut down.

If I do the combination of cpus=1 and cpus=2 then it ends up with 2 cores running, solves the problem with calendar hogging CPU and will shutdown ok.

cpus=3 has the same problem as cpus=4 of not being able to shutdown.

If I just select cpus=1 it only boots with one core and remains with only one core.

Trust me.

Sure if there is a solution with neither cpus=1 and cpus=2 being selected that
1. Stops the calendar hogging cpu
2. uses all 4 cores and
3. I can shutdown without trouble

I'll be in it.

The EFI I attached at post #12 is the same without cpus=2 as a boot flag, it will save me the trouble of redacting serial numbers again.

Thanks for any help you can give.
zip and upload new EFI

assumed you have now done:
as that can solve a lot of issues

I would not describe my part solution/efforts as 'nonsense'
cpus=1 restricts the OS to using a single core whereas cpus=2 allows the use of two cores.
I cannot think of a better word to describe using both arguments together.

Have you tried only using cpus=2 ?

The cpus=X argument is a poor workaround rather than a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back