HD 520
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have a HP Probook 6460b with a stable 10.9.5 installed. Everything works great using the Probook installer and Rehabmans guide, etc.

1 thing that has bugged me for a while though is that I had to hold Fn+F6/F7 for volume. A lot of forums say there is an option in Keyboard preferences “Use all F1, F2, etc, keys as standard function keys”. But not for me, I think because the ProBook doesn't have an apple keyboard!

I tried to follow some advice on the matter from Rehabman but it went waaaayyy above my head. I tried a 3rd party app Karabiner and after a few attempts and some hair pulling I came up with a custom xml file which will allow you to use the F keys as they are laid out on a ProBook 6460b. I have no idea about other models, or even if it's a problem on other models.

You need to make a file called private.xml. Alternatively you can just use the existing file that comes with Karabiner, you can find it by pressing "Open private.xml" under the "Misc and Uninstall" tab. I use textwrangler for this. Don't bother with textedit. In this file put this code:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<root>
    <item>
        <name>Change f1...f12 to brightness control, volume control, etc. for HP ProBook 6460b</name>
        <appendix>(You can use standard function keys by fn-f1...fn-f12.)</appendix>
        <appendix></appendix>
        <appendix>* f2: Launchpad.</appendix>
        <appendix>* f3: Play/Pause Music.</appendix>
        <appendix>* f4: Mission Control.</appendix>
        <appendix>* f5-f7: Volume control.</appendix>
        <appendix>* f9-f10: Brightness control.</appendix>
        <appendix>* f11-f12: Music Prev/Next.</appendix>
        <identifier>remap.pc_keyboard_function_standard</identifier>

<modifier_not>ModifierFlag::FN</modifier_not>

<!-- We use KeyCode::VK_IOHIDPOSTEVENT in order to control both internal and external display brightness. -->
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::F9, KeyCode::VK_IOHIDPOSTEVENT_NX_KEYTYPE_BRIGHTNESS_DOWN</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::F10, KeyCode::VK_IOHIDPOSTEVENT_NX_KEYTYPE_BRIGHTNESS_UP</autogen>

<autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::F4, KeyCode::MISSION_CONTROL</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::F2, KeyCode::LAUNCHPAD</autogen>

<autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::F11, ConsumerKeyCode::MUSIC_PREV</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::F3, ConsumerKeyCode::MUSIC_PLAY</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::F12, ConsumerKeyCode::MUSIC_NEXT</autogen>

<autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::F5, ConsumerKeyCode::VOLUME_MUTE</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::F6, ConsumerKeyCode::VOLUME_DOWN</autogen>
        <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::F7, ConsumerKeyCode::VOLUME_UP</autogen>
      </item>
</root>
Save the file in ~/Library/Application Support/Karabiner/ you will then have the option under the "change key" tab. You may have to press "Reload XML". I found that I didn't want any of the other standard options here, so under the "Misc. & Uninstall" tab I unchecked "Use Prepared Settings (Default: On)". This makes the custom setting much easier to find.
Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 6.08.10 pm.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 6.08.35 pm.png

1 thing that has bugged me for a while though is that I had to hold Fn+F6/F7 for volume. A lot of forums say there is an option in Keyboard preferences “Use all F1, F2, etc, keys as standard function keys”. But not for me, I think because the ProBook doesn't have an apple keyboard!

Not a desktop. Moved to laptop support.

If you follow the guide, you will find the option is available..

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/

Not a desktop. Moved to laptop support.

If you follow the guide, you will find the option is available..

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/

Ah sorry, didn't realise I put it under desktop. But my build is not El Cap. It's Mavericks, and I'm not using Clover. I've tried Yosemite on clover a year ago and it was sluggish. I don't want to bother with El Cap on this machine. I find Mavericks with Chimera pretty stable, so I'm sticking with it.

I guess my workaround is only applicable for Mavericks with Chimera then. Not sure if anyone is still using this setup, but just in case..

Ah sorry, didn't realise I put it under desktop. But my build is not El Cap. It's Mavericks, and I'm not using Clover. I've tried Yosemite on clover a year ago and it was sluggish. I don't want to bother with El Cap on this machine. I find Mavericks with Chimera pretty stable, so I'm sticking with it.

I guess my workaround is only applicable for Mavericks with Chimera then.

The guide works for Mavericks as well.

The guide works for Mavericks as well.

...with clover.

I haven't seen this latest guide to be honest. Good to see an updated one, it looks really comprehensive. But until I have heaps of time on my hands I'm just going to stick with what's working for me now. Honestly, even though I've been messing around with hacks for a few years, alot of it goes right over my head. I still don't really get .aml's and DSDT/SSDTs. It's hard to find easy to understand (for me) documentation of what they are/do and how to use them properly. I did try installing Mavs with clover recently (not using your latest guide, I didn't know this one existed) and it didn't work out so well, so I went back to chimera.

Ps. thanks for doing what you do RehabMan. You've helped me heaps over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back