Contribute
Register

Buying a Dedicated GPU for your Monterey, Ventura or Sonoma Hackintosh

Get them while you can...

The AMD Radeon RX 6650XT is pretty good. Can be spoofed on macOS very easily. For the time being, there's no way to use Navi 33 based GPUs. Whether Apple adds support for those for maybe Intel Mac Pro users is unknown but chances seem very slim. Its getting harder to have a gaming hackintosh that also runs Windows due to hardware constraints.

Just an update. I ended up buying a replace R570 8GB from eBay. Came with Box etc I am running 4 monitors and seems to work fine. I have put a load on it using Heaven and got no Artefacts, left it running for about an hour.

Attachments

• 23-08-31 09-56-37 0674.jpg
    23-08-31 09-56-37 0674.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 67
  • 23-08-31 09-57-57 0676.jpg
    23-08-31 09-57-57 0676.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 57
I wonder if anyone would be willing to comment on these new developments utilizing mobile processors that seem to be compatible with OpenCore and Ventura. I purchased one of these boards from Ali-Express, made, or at least assembled by a Company called Erying.

It uses an I9 1200 HK mobile processor soldered to the board with a modified BIOS, Ami. It is ITX in format with 3 m.2 NVMe slots and somewhat low-quality VRM's. These boards have been reviewed on YouTube by several reviewers including Gamer's Nexus. The boards have a special IN-HOUSE fabricated copper IHS cover so a standard heatsink may be used. The cost with the processor is $349.00 which is a deal for a board and an I9 12-gen processor. Erying Board.

Since this is a graphics thread, there is also a mobile processor variant of an RX 6600 known as an RX6600M
which is a Navi 23 chipset compatible with the Mac OS. Soyo is probably the safest choice for the purchase of one of these cards. Here is a review and link to one of these cards.Review of 6600M ; Soyo RX6600M . The cost for these cards varies per brand but is under $175.00. Now there is a YouTuber from Brazil who is well known; Gabriel Luchina, (You will note, that he does not respond or communicate in English, other than in written form on his GitHub Repository) who maintains base OpenCore EFI's for almost every MAC OS-supported chipset out there, including this Erying I9 board, and most are using Opencore 0.9.4 or 0.9.5 versions, if a base is supplied. Here is a link to the information for the Erying board from his GitHub repository: Repository G.L. Erying Guide. However, the download in the link is only a guide, in this instance, as no base EFI is provided, as he does for Intel and AMD normal chipsets in the bulk of his repository.

The question is more if the Graphics Card (Rx6600M) is compatible as a low-cost option for OpenCore users?
(Note: Base EFI's are not complete and require knowledge of OpenCore setups for a user's individual builds using the OpenCore Install Guide's site setup instructions and tools! Even a base EFI when completed by a user following the instructions noted should be checked with OpenCore's OCvalidate version for the OC version being used.)

Last edited:
Yes, as the RX 6600m is fully supported in macOS. This is a dGPU successfully used with a number of AMD laptop systems. So it would not be an issue using this mobile graphics card with a CPU that lacks an IGPU.

AMD OS X has a few successful laptop builds using this card.

Thanks, Edhawk. It should be added to the list at the front of this thread.

These other Navi 23 mobile graphics cards also work in macOS:

RX 6600S
RX 6650M (requiring fake device-id)
RX 6650M XT (requiring fake device-id)
RX 6700S
RX 6800S

Yes I have listed an RX 6700 card but note it is based on the Navi 23 chip, not the unsupported Navi 21 chip used in the RX 6700 desktop card.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    598 KB · Views: 140
I decided on RX 5700. The price is very good at the moment. It cost 112.50 EURO including shipping. Sure is used and it takes time to find one that isn't junk. If I had PCIe 4.0 I would have taken RX 6600 XT.

Attachments

• PowerColor RX 5700 Red Dragon.jpg
    PowerColor RX 5700 Red Dragon.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 127
  • RX5700.jpg
    RX5700.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 132
@trs96 Hi. This is a recent development and it should be stressed that it's still in early Beta, but Noot.inc also have NootRX. There's a screenshot of an atm window confirming a AMD Radeon 6700XT 12 GB in Sonoma linked below.

Happy 2024!!!
Unfortunately 2 days ago my Vega 56 died and I'm considering purchasing a new (or used) graphics card.
I'm thinking of buying the Sapphire pulse rx 6600. Here where I live, the price of this new card costs around €200.
I'm also looking at the 5700 XT and the 6600 XT but they can only be found used and cost more than €250.
This thread is great it's helping me a lot.

Back