Contribute
Register

Buying a Dedicated GPU for your Monterey, Ventura or Sonoma Hackintosh

You can use the IGPU from your Coffee Lake CPU while you see about replacing your Vega 56.

You will need to edit your config.plist DeviceProperties for the IGPU to work as the display driver. I have attached a plist containing the DeviceProperties required for most Asus CFL setups, which was taken from CaseySJ's Framebuffer guide.

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 17.46.11.png DeviceProperties for ASUS CFL IGPU

Using these properties you should be able to use the DisplayPort and/or HDMI out connector from your motherboard.

Attachments

• Asus-CFL-UHD630-IGPU.plist.zip
    970 bytes · Views: 15
You can use the IGPU from your Coffee Lake CPU while you see about replacing your Vega 56.

You will need to edit your config.plist DeviceProperties for the IGPU to work as the display driver. I have attached a plist containing the DeviceProperties required for most Asus CFL setups, which was taken from CaseySJ's Framebuffer guide.
It's incredible, I'm back with my mac!!!
Thanks @Edhawk.
I came back happy :D

Hello
I am on my way to upgrade my very old PC (Ivybridge 3550/GT710) to a more powerful PC. I am mainly doing Photo editing (Lightroom) and sometime Video Editing for Family movies, No games.

I am looking for a cheap AMD graphics card under 80€ as quiet as possible, new or second hand (I do prefer to spend money on CPU and RAM). My power supply is a 400W BeQuiet.

Reading this thread, I was thinking a second hand RX560/570/580 like Sapphire Pulse. 5700 or 6600 being over 100€

I have noticed that this RX5XX series can actually run up to Sonoma, but then I was wondering it they could also run the next 2 or 3 next MacOS releases before Hackintoshing is dead.

I do not know on which original Mac these GCs were installed and therefore if Apple will discontinue the support before the last Intel release of MacOS.

Thanks for your avise.

I do not know on which original Mac these GCs were installed and therefore if Apple will discontinue the support before the last Intel release of MacOS.
The Radeon Pro 580X shipped with the 2019 Mac Pro so Polaris cards should still have support in macOS 15 this year. That is, if Apple doesn't remove Intel support this year. You could use a 4GB RX 560 and do what you need to. Those are usually the lowest cost. Avoid ones used for mining and the XFX branded 560s. Not compatible.

Last edited:
I was wondering it they could also run the next 2 or 3 next MacOS releases before Hackintoshing is dead.
The next 3 is being much too optimistic. Don't see that happening. I'd say 2 max but more likely only one.
Even if Intel support ends in 2025 you'll still be able to use macOS 15 with no problems for 3-4 years. Or just buy an Apple Silcon Mac mini, definitely upgrade the ram to 16GB or more when configuring specs. External NVMe drives work well via TH4 and save a lot of cash.

Last edited:
Ok thanks
What would be the less noisy between the Sapphire Pulse and the Sapphire Nitro+ ?

I found some RX5500 second hand around 50€, so quite the same as the RX580: I guess the RX5500 would be more powerful but what about noise and power ?

I guess the RX5500 would be more powerful but what about noise and power ?
It will depend on whether the fans were maintained and cleaned or not. Any used GPU can be noisy if the fan is in bad shape. Then it requires replacement.

The Radeon Pro 580X shipped with the 2019 Mac Pro so Polaris cards should still have support in macOS 15 this year. That is, if Apple doesn't remove Intel support this year. You could use a 4GB RX 560 and do what you need to. Those are usually the lowest cost. Avoid ones used for mining and the XFX branded 560s. Not compatible.
I had used in my older hackintosh an Asus RX580, which was used for mining before that, for about 2 years as a main GPU. It was OK (one fan fell though, but the card worked fine even with 1 fan). I was lucky to buy before the GPU prices went crazy.

Hi guys!
In the end I bought a used ASUS Dual RX 6600 XT OC Edition for €200. It arrived today!
I just added agdpmod=pikera into the boot argument.
I used GeekBench 6, keep in mind that my motherboard is a Z370 and my processor is an i7 -9700.
During the test the temperature briefly touched 78°C, but almost always remained around 45°/55°C.
I hope I made a good purchase.
Thanks to you !!!

Screenshot 2024-01-09 alle 21.09.25.pngScreenshot 2024-01-09 alle 21.10.17.png
Screenshot 2024-01-09 alle 21.12.56.pngScreenshot 2024-01-09 alle 21.13.33.png

The pre-requisite once the secondhand GPU has been tested and shown to work, is to do the following:

Clean the fans, aluminium heatsink and replace the thermal paste and pads on the card.

This will help keep the thermal profile at a lower level. Yes this would void any warranty, but as you bought it secondhand, that is not important.

I do this with any dGPU I buy secondhand, it will give the card a better chance of lasting for a few more years.

Back