Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I want to build a computer that can sustain 3x blackmagic design intensity shuttles for livestreaming to ustream or other online video streaming service. It does not necessarily run the streaming under OS X, but i want it to run OS X for development iOS & Web developement stuff.

Blackmagic design have less than the desirable amount of compatible components listed on their homepage. This is their FAQ on the intensity shuttle for windows http://www.blackmagic-design.com/suppor ... 042&os=win

Funny fact when reading the FAQ is if you check the supported notebooks they list
MSI GE620 which has a HM65 chipset but they recommend X58.

Also any other suggestions would be much appreciated

So the most important questions i have are
  1. What socket should i use 1155, 1336 or 2011 & recommended motherboard ?[/*:m:ay4kr8sa]
  2. A gfx card where the fan actually works in OS X (my current gpu is always idle and its a stock APPLE ATI 5770)

P.s i know their is a list of supported gfx cards but the one above should definitely be supported but still doesn't work as expected..[/*:m:ay4kr8sa]

mac_nibblet said:
I want to build a computer that can sustain 3x blackmagic design intensity shuttles for livestreaming to ustream or other online video streaming service. It does not necessarily run the streaming under OS X, but i want it to run OS X for development iOS & Web developement stuff.

Blackmagic design have less than the desirable amount of compatible components listed on their homepage. This is their FAQ on the intensity shuttle for windows http://www.blackmagic-design.com/suppor ... 042&os=win

Funny fact when reading the FAQ is if you check the supported notebooks they list
MSI GE620 which has a HM65 chipset but they recommend X58.

Also any other suggestions would be much appreciated

So the most important questions i have are
  1. What socket should i use 1155, 1336 or 2011 & recommended motherboard ?[/*:m:230unovh]
  2. A gfx card where the fan actually works in OS X (my current gpu is always idle and its a stock APPLE ATI 5770)

P.s i know their is a list of supported gfx cards but the one above should definitely be supported but still doesn't work as expected..[/*:m:230unovh]
1. LGA1155, naturally.
2. I can't understand it. On every GPU (must) work(s) the fan.

Mate94 said:
1. LGA1155, naturally.
2. I can't understand it. On every GPU (must) work(s) the fan.

From the blackmagic design FAQ
What motherboards can I use with onboard USB 3.0 with Blackmagic USB 3.0 Desktop Video Products?
Intel X58 series motherboards with onboard USB 3.0 support are required to support Blackmagic Design's USB 3.0 video products. The onboard USB 3.0 support of other motherboards, such as the P55 series, cannot be used.
Listed below are motherboards that have been verified for Intensity Shuttle, UltraStudio Pro and Pocket UltraScope:
ASUS P6X58D-Premium
ASUS P6X58D-E
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
Asus Crosshair IV
Many motherboards have shipped with older firmware and drivers which won't support Blackmagic Design's USB 3.0 products. It is essential to check the firmware and driver versions of your motherboard's USB 3.0 chip by following the procedure in this PDF file.

the reason they don't support P55 series is because the bandwidth of the onboard USB3 is not 4.8GB/s but lower.

So i need help finding a motherboard with "true" usb 3.0 or extension-cards that work with my blackmagic devices

this is what im looking at right now
ASUS P9X79 X79 S-2011 ATX

CORSAIR 8GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP PC3-12800 1600M...

CORSAIR H100 HYDRO CPU COOLER S-775/1155/1366...

FRACTAL DESIGN MIDITOWER DEFINE R3 USB3 BLACK

GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 560 TI OC 1GB PCI-E DVI/...

INTEL 520 SERIES 2.5" 120GB SSD SATA/600 MLC ...

INTEL CORE I7 3930K 3.20GHZ 12MB S-2011

OCZ ZT SERIES 750 WATT POWER SUPPLY MODULAR

mac_nibblet said:
this is what im looking at right now
ASUS P9X79 X79 S-2011 ATX

CORSAIR 8GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP PC3-12800 1600M...

CORSAIR H100 HYDRO CPU COOLER S-775/1155/1366...

FRACTAL DESIGN MIDITOWER DEFINE R3 USB3 BLACK

GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 560 TI OC 1GB PCI-E DVI/...

INTEL 520 SERIES 2.5" 120GB SSD SATA/600 MLC ...

INTEL CORE I7 3930K 3.20GHZ 12MB S-2011

OCZ ZT SERIES 750 WATT POWER SUPPLY MODULAR
LGA2011 is not supported at this time.

Just to clear up some bad information and give some considerations.

LGA2011 is supported, however, it does not provide much more power over the 1155 and it is over double the cost. It does NOT support power management yet, so it won't clock down at idle. No real big deal. That being said, I'd go with 1155.

The problem you'll find however, is that USB3 is not supported natively by Apple. We have a driver form LaCie for one of their cards that was hacked to support more USB3, but even then, some of the USB3 peripherals don't reach full speeds sometimes. This is a limitation of OSX and not having native support for it.

as i posted streaming via OS X is not a must so if i must run windows to livestream fine with me. i just need to be able todo my day to day work on OS X. The livestreaming gigs are about 6-8 times per year in the beginning.

The problem as you guys keep jumping over is the fact that 1155 doesn't seam to be "true" usb 3.0 or atleast the bandwidth is not highenough for use with the blackmagic intensity shuttle

No. That isn't the issue. USB3 has PLENTY of bandwidth on the 1155. Look at the list you posted. That is all LAST generations stuff. They havent updated their site. 1155 will provide you enough bandwidth (even "turbo" bandwidth) on Gigabyte boards.

This is what im being told by blackmagic designs

From their FAQ
Intel X58 series motherboards with onboard USB 3.0 support are required to support Blackmagic Design's USB 3.0 video products. The onboard USB 3.0 support of other motherboards, such as the P55 series, cannot be used.
Listed below are motherboards that have been verified for Intensity Shuttle, UltraStudio Pro and Pocket UltraScope:
ASUS P6X58D-Premium
ASUS P6X58D-E
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5
Asus Crosshair IV
Many motherboards have shipped with older firmware and drivers which won't support Blackmagic Design's USB 3.0 products. It is essential to check the firmware and driver versions of your motherboard's USB 3.0 chip by following the procedure in this PDF file.

The reason they say it wont work is because of the bandwidth..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back