Contribute
Register

Building a Sandy Bridge CustoMac: Recommended Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I panning to build hackentosh with configuration for video production Is it goona work without problem? Which gr card is better ATI or Nvidia
System: GA-Z68XP-UD4
CPU: Core i7 2600K
Graphics: ATI Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870
Corsair Vengence Blu 1600Mhz DDR3 (16GB)

In the next month or so, I'm gonna attempt to build the Build #2 (just with 8GB RAM and the 2500k i5), I was just wondering what the potential problems are that I may run into trying to install and maintain OS X?

I did the #4 build as well. Used the DSDT from this site and it works pretty well. Sound, network, 64 bit, vid card recognized, no problem.

Only thing I can't get going is the usb3. not sure if anyone has got that working with this ud5 board.

With me the combo update never actually seemed to complete and I got the Frozen, Must Restart situation I think you are talking about. If you are very near the end of the install like I was you may have actually completed it. I was able to run MultiBeast after the forced restart and got the system working fine. It was full 10.6.8. The first install I did I did not even realize the combo never completed as I was out of the room and just came back to see the frozen screen. It was only later when I decided to do a re-install that I noticed the issue.

Thanks for your information. What happens afterwards is that when I try to reboot, it hangs on the apple screen. I tried the update helper and I got a KP so either way I wasn't working. As for getting it to launch in safe mode it does the same thing with PCIRootUID=1, PCIRootUID=1 -x, and -x.

I've ordered the 10.6.8 DVD directly so maybe that install will work. I assume at that point that I can just run multi-beast immediately after the install works and then I should be all set right?

Your build is so similar to mine that I have to ask if you updated the Bios to F7 and used that DSDT and if you followed the bios setup exactly like in the main iBoot and Multibeast thread.

If not I would do the whole partition thing again and load from scratch. It definitely works with that hardware and just the 1 stick of ram. The other physical issue could be the hard drive. I stuck with the Seagate drive although my OS was loaded on an SSD.

The only time I ever get hung on the actual Apple screen is when something in my kext doesn't mesh well with my bios. The USB3 Renesas fix in MultiBeast for instance hung me on the apple load and I had to restore from a disk image to get back running as I couldn't find where that kext was to remove it. I had done the hard drive fix at the same time to make HDDs look like regular internals instead of external (orange). I deleted the HDD fix but still hung on Apple screen. So had to do the restore.

When you do get a stable setup do a clone and / or backup image with SuperDuper.

Hi,

I hope I am not ruffling too many feathers by posting a separate thread but I am planning to build a customac with the following parts. My question is will the expansion slots, audio, LAN, USB2.0, USB3.0 and IEEE1394a on the GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 work?

$300 Intel Core i7-2600
$175 3TB Seagate Barracuda XT
$350 GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
$340 Radeon HD 6970
$900 Dell UltraSharp U2711
$200 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

Many thanks and I apologize again for any hassle with that a separate thread may cause.

I will be using this customac for Adobe CS5, Apple Aperture 3.1.3 and Apple Final Cut Pro X.

What about MSI Z68 motherboards? Is anyone having issues?

I like the idea of the one-button overclock on the MSI Z68A GD65. That way I can overclock my 'MacPro' when I plan on doing some serious work and bring it back to normal when the rest of my family wants to log into Lion on two screens.

Also, it seems like MSI had better reliability with their P55 boards compared to Gigabyte. I'm still a little nervous about buying a Gigabyte 1155 board.

NoiseCoalition said:
Hi All, do you know if these builds work fine with Lion?

Thanks for all your help!

Jason

Works fine. Everything works for me except USB3, and I don't think anyone has USB3 working on the #4 board. USB2 devices will still work if you plug them into the USB3 ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back