Contribute
Register

Building a High Sierra <$400 Hackintosh. Do these parts work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI B250M PRO-VDH
CPU
Intel Pentium G4600
Graphics
Zotac GTX 1050 Mini
Hi there!

So I am new to the Hackintosh community, and I am seriously looking into building one to use as an HTPC in my home theater setup. I have a list of parts I was thinking about using in my build, and I was wondering if a) they are compatible and b) should I get any newer/alternate parts before I order. Keep in mind that I have built myself a Gaming PC before and I know what I’m talking about, so don’t think I don’t know any of this stuff. (except maybe the driver part lol).

So here’s the list:

-Intel Core i3 6100
-ASUS H110I PLUS/CSM
-WD Blue 1TB HDD
-EVGA 430W psu
-MSI GT 1030 2GH LP OC (fanless ver.)
-Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 4GB DDR4-2400
-Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini-ITX case

Any compatibility issues/suggestions? (Remember that I plan to use 10.13 High Sierra.)

It should all be compatible. You do still have the option to download and use Sierra too. The guides for installation are easier to follow for a Sierra install and you can always do an in place upgrade to High Sierra after a few months.

It should all be compatible. You do still have the option to download and use Sierra too. The guides for installation are easier to follow for a Sierra install and you can always do an in place upgrade to High Sierra after a few months.
Thanks for the fast reply!
So the only reason I did not use a Kaby Lake CPU is because I need the Mini-ITX form factor and 200 series chipset boards aren’t exactly the cheapest, especially with Mini-ITX. The H110 boards have been commonly used with Kaby Lake, that is if they have the BIOS update, but I do not want to risk getting a board with potential CPU incompatibilities, if I got a 7100 instead of a 6100.

I was still wondering, does Skylake actually support High Sierra? Because if it does then I would definitely use it, but I’m fine with going all the way back to El Capitan if I have to. But if a Sierra install is easier than I might go with that.

EDIT: Sorry, thought you meant that Skylake doesn’t work on HS. I will see wether I want to use a cheaper MSI motherboard, like a b250I pro, and an i3 7100 (I know some msi boards don’t have DSDT, and I don’t consider that one an exception)

EDIT V2 (YES I KNOW): Well I read the Skylake buyers guide and apparently it doesn’t natively support HS. Sorry for asking questions lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply!
So the only reason I did not use a Kaby Lake CPU is because I need the Mini-ITX form factor and 200 series chipset boards aren’t exactly the cheapest, especially with Mini-ITX. The H110 boards have been commonly used with Kaby Lake, that is if they have the BIOS update, but I do not want to risk getting a board with potential CPU incompatibilities, if I got a 7100 instead of a 6100.

I was still wondering, does Skylake actually support High Sierra? Because if it does then I would definitely use it, but I’m fine with going all the way back to El Capitan if I have to. But if a Sierra install is easier than I might go with that.

EDIT: Sorry, thought you meant that Skylake doesn’t work on HS. I will see wether I want to use a cheaper MSI motherboard, like a b250I pro, and an i3 7100 (I know some msi boards don’t have DSDT, and I don’t consider that one an exception)

EDIT V2 (YES I KNOW): Well I read the Skylake buyers guide and apparently it doesn’t natively support HS. Sorry for asking questions lol

You can install and run El Capitan / Sierra / High Sierra on compatible Skylake systems, depending on the graphics card you want to use. Since you want to use a GT1030, you can use Sierra or High Sierra but not El Capitan, since the Nvidia drivers for El Capitan do not support Pascal series graphics cards like the GT1030.

You can install and run El Capitan / Sierra / High Sierra on compatible Skylake systems, depending on the graphics card you want to use. Since you want to use a GT1030, you can use Sierra or High Sierra but not El Capitan, since the Nvidia drivers for El Capitan do not support Pascal series graphics cards like the GT1030.
I meant to say if HS was not compatible then I would go all the ay back to El Capitan if I had to as I prefer the latest version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back