Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: CustoMac Mini 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: CustoMac Mini 2012

Thumbs up by the way for this excellent site.

This was my first Hackintosh and thanks to the clarity of the guides and forum feedback it went flawlessly.
For the record at the time of writing my build:

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 120
MB: Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
RAM: Corsair memory 16GB Vengence Performance Kit (2x8GB) DDR3
PSU: Coolermaster PSU 520W Silent Pro M2 modular
HD: Some leftover 250GB WD SATA II drive (but new unused) for the moment to tide me over.
Built in HD graphics only for the moment, using on board DVI to a Philips 1680x1050 LCD (few years old).
Mountain Lion 10.8.2.
Network: Ethernet (on board)
Keyboard: Apple extended (wired)
Standard set up on Multibeast DSDT free
Bluetooth works.
Logitech c270h works! (btw UKP 9.99 from J Sainsbo's ! in UK)
No over-clocking (yet, want to explore a stable base config for a while)

which brings me to my only noticeable flaw so far which only lasts for two minutes:

after waking from sleep, logging in, all is well for like a few minutes (maybe 2-4 but not timed it) then the monitor goes black (like a blank screensaver kicks in). I can hear the MacOSX system is still up and pressing keys or mousing does not bring it back. But! If left alone for a minute or two more, it comes back by itself and is no trouble at all then all day long.

Put to sleep again, wake, start work, then after a couple of minutes… blank screen, then a few minutes more back OK again.

Note: it only does this once per wake from sleep and only after a couple of minutes from waking. Always comes back.

I do not think It is triggered by anything I am doing in MacOSX when it happens whatever I am doing at the time.
The OS is not asleep, its just the display part. Not touched the BIOS, all standard stuff as far as I can see.

Anyone else? Note I am only on HD4000 off the i5 and had a textbook trouble free install from the go thanks to this site and this is the only odd behaviour I have found (so far). Any ideas anyone?

Great post...looking at getting back into building computers and wondered about the Thermaltake enclosure mentioned. Is that enclosure okay for the CustoMac Mini Deluxe build (pared down with onboard graphics only) with the i5 processor mentioned? I'd hate to get it all done and end up melting my processor to slag.

Cheers, and keep up the great work!

I received the parts for my deluxe mini today and just finished the hardware assembly.

You should note that the BitFenix case (which I love!) comes with two 120mm system fans. If you add the Corsair H60 Liquid cooler (which I did) then you have a third 120mm system fan and one cpu fan. The GA-Z77-WiFi board only supports one cpu fan and one system fan which means you either need to remove two of them or buy a fan controller for the optical drive bay (which is what I'm about to start researching).

It's also good to note that with the gpu installed (I went with the GTX 660 Ti) you have to remove the middle drive bay. It's designed to be easily and tool-lessly removed. You will still be left with two bays for HDDs or SDDs but there is not room for a full sized gpu with that bay installed.

During initial testing, I noticed the 120mm system fan that comes with the Corsair H60 pushes more air than the rear 120mm system fan that comes with the BitFenix case. I moved the included case fan to the top blowing air out, left the front fan sucking air in and put the 120mm Corasir H60 fan on the inside rear of the case blowing air out attached to the radiator for the H60.

For as small as this case is, it offers an open design with great air flow (when the middle drive bay is removed) and excellent cable management. I'd recommend it for any mini build.

Long time reader/lookie-loo, first time poster/builder.

My parts are arriving soon, and I was wondering...Has anyone solved the problem with the extra fans when you add in the H60 to the deluxe build? This will be my first build (ever...of anything) so sorry in advance if this seems like an easy question.

I've tried reading the comments here (on the Buyer's Guide) and in the Official Guide and Notes, but no one has posted much on this issue.

Secondly, I was wondering if the Corsair H80 would fit in here (Bitfenix prodigy case) in place of the Corsair H60. Seems more or less the same size, just a little fatter. While we're at it, if you know of a better cooler (Antec Kuhler 620 maybe?) that would be better, please mention it and how it would be powered.

That's a lot to ask, so I'll thank everyone now in advance :)

Secondly, I was wondering if the Corsair H80 would fit in here (Bitfenix prodigy case) in place of the Corsair H60. Seems more or less the same size, just a little fatter. While we're at it, if you know of a better cooler (Antec Kuhler 620 maybe?) that would be better, please mention it and how it would be powered.

You can fit a H100, has 240mm Rad, But it means you can't have a ODD. But it means you don't need a rear case fan. Especially if you replace the front case fan with a 230mm Fan.

The Antec Kuhler 620 has a noise pump.

I have put together a new 2012 Mini build consisting of the following:
Case: BitFenix Prodigy
MB: Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
RAM: Corsair memory 16GB Vengence Performance Kit (2x8GB) DDR3
PSU: OCS CoreXStrean 500W
HD: Samsung 250GB SSD and Seagate Baracuda 1TB
Graphics: Gigabyte GT640 (GV-N640OC-2GI)
Keyboard and Mouse: Apple (wired)
The problem with this is that, even following all the posts advising how to set it up, and carefully going through the UEFI bios settings - I CANNOT get it to boot from UniBeast. I've tried 2 different Unibeast USBs that I made with my old system. I have set all the boot parameters eg -x etc. with nothing beyond the apple screen and rotating symbol. I know the hardware is OK as I have installed windows and linux on different drives and they work well.
I think I must be missing something in the UEFI bios but can't see what. Anybody have any Ideas?

For enter in the bios you use f12 from keyboard, i have problem to boot first time but i have success with - x - v first and after only with -v from unibeast

Went with the upgraded customac mini specs. Took about 45 mins to unpack, assemble, and install 10.8 from USB. Thanks for all contributions folks. I now have an upgradeable customac running the latest software without any troubles... and all for under $1000.

Newbie with no build experience. Would like to do the Customax mini deluxe build. I wil purchase exact items on list above. Would like to use Thunderbolt display or equivalent 27" monitor. As an inexperienced builder I am looking for input on build success if I follow exact components above and advice from forum. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back