1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Building a CustoMac: Complete Builds and Specs
customacpro2.png
Building a desktop computer from parts for Windows or Linux is easy, as most drivers are out there, and perhaps even built into the operating system itself. Piecing together a Hackintosh, or "CustoMac" is quite a different beast altogether. In addition to determining if your prospective components work together, you also need to know whether the hardware is even supported by Apple's standard drivers.

:mrgreen: Building a CustoMac: Three Complete PC Builds for OS X :mrgreen:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/06/ ... te-pc.html

:mrgreen: Building a CustoMac: Three Updated LGA 1156 Builds for OS X :mrgreen:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... d-lga.html

:mrgreen: Building a CustoMac: CustoMac Mini :mrgreen:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/12/ ... -mini.html

:mrgreen: Building a CustoMac: CustoMac Pro :mrgreen:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... -2010.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Building a CustoMac: Three Complete PC Builds [RECOMMENDED]

Just wanted to note that in build #1, the recommended graphics card doesn't fit in the recommended case.

The picture on the blog post appears to be the 9600GT silent cell or similar, which would probably fit in the case, but the 9800GT's fins extend past the end of the card by about 2.5 inches.

I had to cut the fins to make them flush with the back of the card and had to remove the spacer for the power supply from the case to get it all to fit.

The problem is that the power supply is installed in the bottom-front of the case and is right next to both pci-e slots.

chris.h said:
Just wanted to note that in build #1, the recommended graphics card doesn't fit in the recommended case.

The picture on the blog post appears to be the 9600GT silent cell or similar, which would probably fit in the case, but the 9800GT's fins extend past the end of the card by about 2.5 inches.

I had to cut the fins to make them flush with the back of the card and had to remove the spacer for the power supply from the case to get it all to fit.

The problem is that the power supply is installed in the bottom-front of the case and is right next to both pci-e slots.

:O Ok- we'll have to fix it and recommend a case that doesn't do that. Thanks for the update :thumbup:

EDIT: I've switched it with this similar case. The PSU mounts on top, so the card should fit just fine in this one.

COOLER MASTER Elite 341
41o3NPu6vqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Aside from that issue, the build runs fantastic! (I also added on a 30gb OCZ vertex that I got for $60 at microcenter)

I ran iBoot Supported/MultiBeast with the DSDT for the F10 bios out of the DSDT database. It took me a little while to figure out how to enable audio/networking. Maybe link to something about how to do that from the iBoot + MultiBeast guide?

Every supplier tells me that Gigabyte has discontinued these motherboards so it would be good if this could be updated to current components that are available for purchase. Any idea what to substitute ? Thanks

shaneblyth said:
Every supplier tells me that Gigabyte has discontinued these motherboards so it would be good if this could be updated to current components that are available for purchase. Any idea what to substitute ? Thanks

For Micro ATX, with no overclock, I'd go with the P55M-UD2. If you go with a full sized case, any Gigabyte H55/P55/X58 is recommended. :thumbup:

What would be the top of he line model assuming money is no issue. :?:

Khan said:
GA-X58A-UD7
i7-970 or 980X
24 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 2000
Radeon HD 5870 (supported OOB)

MacMan said:
Khan said:
GA-X58A-UD7
i7-970 or 980X

any particular make of the 5870 to avoid? or all they all well supported?
thanks.

dh22r said:
MacMan said:
Khan said:
GA-X58A-UD7
i7-970 or 980X

any particular make of the 5870 to avoid? or all they all well supported?
thanks.
AFAIK, they all should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back