Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide September 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
is the ga-h87m-d3h supported??

I upgraded from SL to Mountain Lion V 10.8.5
I cannot get it to boot except in safe mode only.
If I run Multibeast, I cant boot from HD, still have to use the USB drive. (And I cant boot even in safe mode from there.)
It hangs at the apple screen with the rotating icon.
I have to reinstall ML using the USB drive. (Then it's back to only booting in safe)
I have tried several boot options, but the only one that works for me is -X (safe mode), by working I mean get to the login screen and start ML. After that, I have network, but no audio and screen is jerky when displaying web pages.
GigaByte Z77-HD3
8 gig DDR3
i5-3570 CPU with HD Graphics 2500
Western Digital Sata HD WD1200. (I plan to upgrade this but would like to see this baby working properly first, since I will have to buy a new HD).
Any help is greatly appreciated.
(I tried posting this in the 10.8 installation guide, but it said thread was closed. If this belongs in a different forum, please point me to it.)

Why are there no Thunderbolt motherboards recommended?

[h=1]
For clarification... was the ASUS Z87 thunderbolt compatible for a mac build?
[/h]

Hi Tony ! Your website is just GREAT ! It has convinced me to make my own customac pro.

My amazon's cart is now full, and I'd like to be sure that everything will work perfectly together before buying it. Would you mind tell me if I'm making a huge mistake somewhere ?

Here it is :

Fractal Design XL R2
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Intel Haswell Processeur Core i7-4770K / 3.50 GHz
Corsair RAM Low Profile DDR3 1600 32Go
Asus GTX680
SSD : Plextor PX-256M5P (X2, cause I want dual bios !)
HD : Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda3,5" SATA III 7200
be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 Alimentation ATX 750W modular
be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 2

I don't know if it may serve to say it, but I will use it to work on pro tools, with high def plugins and video playing, cause I will compose film music on it !

Thank you very much for taking a look at it, I just wait for your GO to buy the whole stuff :D

Cheers,

Benjamin

I'm going to buy a brand new system and install for the first time a Hackintosh for video editing (not professional, FullHD/HD "only"). But I also want to install Windows 8 for games.

The system will be something like this:
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
i7 4770K
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz CL9 DD3
Corsair CX-600W Modular

My doubt is the SSD. In the buyers guide there's Sandisk SSD Extreme I. I would like to know if there's any problem buying a different one? Or can you advise me a good and reliable one of 120GB and/or 250GB?
I'm more interested in buying a 120Gb (lower price), but I don't know If this will be enough to install OSX and Win8. Probably I'll just install OSX in SSD (+ essential software), and use a different 3.5" HardDrive only for Windows 8. Is that possible? What is opinion?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions...

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide September 2013

I'm going to buy a brand new system and install for the first time a Hackintosh for video editing (not professional, FullHD/HD "only"). But I also want to install Windows 8 for games.

The system will be something like this:
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
i7 4770K
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz CL9 DD3
Corsair CX-600W Modular

My doubt is the SSD. In the buyers guide there's Sandisk SSD Extreme I. I would like to know if there's any problem buying a different one? Or can you advise me a good and reliable one of 120GB and/or 250GB?
I'm more interested in buying a 120Gb (lower price), but I don't know If this will be enough to install OSX and Win8. Probably I'll just install OSX in SSD (+ essential software), and use a different 3.5" HardDrive only for Windows 8. Is that possible? What is opinion?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions...

To me, 120GB is enough for a single OS + softwares. And you can install W8 on another hard drive (SSD or not). For practical usage, i'm probably going to buy two 120GB SSD myself ;) I prefer separate disks, it is simpler to install and get less troubles afterward.
About reliability, Samsung SSD like 830/840 are the most reliable ever. Near 0% return rate. Pro models are faster.
Others brands are really good anyway, except OCZ i would not touch at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back