Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that the `GA-Z87X-OC Force` is an EATX MB rather than the ATX listed
And will the Unibeast drive with the "Laptop Support" checked, work with a normal Custom build Computer?

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide November 2013

I believe that the `GA-Z87X-OC Force` is an EATX MB rather than the ATX listed
And will the Unibeast drive with the "Laptop Support" checked, work with a normal Custom build Computer?
No, "Laptop Support" is only for installing to a laptop and will cause issues when used on a desktop.

How do you know if the card you purchased has the GK110B (or GK110A) GPU?

Meaning is the particular GPU listed somewhere on the box? Or is this only found out by plugging it in and having OSX crash while utilizing OpenlCL apps?

Was wonderring if purchased through an online vendor if there was a way to determine the particular GPU used before opening the box once received (so could set up a return before opening if GK100B was the GPU)

Thank you for the very detailed info, it is very much appreciated.

You have no way to determine whether or not the card you will receive is going to be using a GK110A or GK110B at this point. That's the entire definition of a crapshoot. Because of the inability to determine the GPU in your card until you fire it up in OS X, at this point the only recommendation that can be given for out of the box/reliable cards that are fully compatible with OS X are the 770 and below and all 650-690 series cards, as those use the GK104 GPU which has been fully supported in all aspects since 10.8.3.

It sucks having to give up some serious power for compatibility, but until new drivers come out on the OS X side from either nVidia or Apple (likely the former more than the latter who couldn't care less) that make the GK110B fully supported and compatible, what I've said in the paragraph above is the only surefire bet for graphics cards in OS X when it comes to maximum compatibility.

It's a tough pill to swallow, but that is the nature of silent updates to architectures.

Just a small update: Going forward all newly created GTX 780 and Titan series cards from all vendors will be using the GK110B (GK-300-B1 stepping) GPU. For the 780 series this means that you may or may not get an A1 card due to current stock still being sold. In other words, it's a crapshoot. As for the 780 Ti, all of those use the GK110B GPU and thus should be avoided until a driver update is made to fix the problem.

All other Kepler standalone cards are still fully compatible with OS X and OpenCL, as they use the GK104 GPU which has not received an update like the GK110 GPU has.

On the graphics card itself, is there a way to determine the GPU? I spoke to Fry's and Id have 30 days from date of purchase to do a return for money back, even if opened. I was planning on opening the box, checking the card for its specific GPU model and either keeping and using it (GK110A), or returning it (GK110B).

I would think it would be documented on the card somewhere.

Thank you for all of the invaluable info, you have been extremely helpful... thank you

The only way to tell on the card is the GPU die itself, which requires you to take off the cooling aparatus (heatsink/fans) and clean off the TIM to see the stepping info. GPU-Z still reports it incorrectly too. Because of that, you'll have to test with an OpenCL enabled app such as Mavericks' Preview.app or use QuickLook in the finder to view a picture format (.jpg, .gif, etc.) to test whether or not there is an OpenCL crash.

If nVidia comes out with a web driver that allows the GK110B full functionality in OS X, then we can again recommend the 780/Ti/Titan series to buyers. Until then, you're gambling.

Frys, if you act quickly, might have 780s with the older GPUs as their stock sits for fair lengths of time quite often. Just make sure you're not buying a card that's already been returned before - you almost never have a happy ending with used items from Frys.

Guys,what is the best component...i want to buy AMD FX 8350,so...which motherboard and graphic card please for Mac OS X ?

The only way to tell on the card is the GPU die itself, which requires you to take off the cooling aparatus (heatsink/fans) and clean off the TIM to see the stepping info. GPU-Z still reports it incorrectly too. Because of that, you'll have to test with an OpenCL enabled app such as Mavericks' Preview.app or use QuickLook in the finder to view a picture format (.jpg, .gif, etc.) to test whether or not there is an OpenCL crash.

If nVidia comes out with a web driver that allows the GK110B full functionality in OS X, then we can again recommend the 780/Ti/Titan series to buyers. Until then, you're gambling.

Frys, if you act quickly, might have 780s with the older GPUs as their stock sits for fair lengths of time quite often. Just make sure you're not buying a card that's already been returned before - you almost never have a happy ending with used items from Frys.

Thank you once again for the very detailed reply, it is much appreciated. Looks like Fry's is out of stock on the ASUS GTX780 after all. Amazon has a few left though, might give that a try.

thank you again, most helpful.

What about this?
MB:Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H Socket 1150 Intel Z87 DDR3 SATA3 USB3 ATX €199,00
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k 3.5GHz 8MB Socket 1150 84W con GPU HD Graphics 4600 Boxed €247,00
VGA: EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 770 Classified Core 1150/1202MHz Memory GDDR5 7010MHz 4GB DVI HDMI DP €301,00
RAM: DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz PC-12800 9-9-9-24 1.5V CL9 €267,00
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Socket Intel 1156/1155/1366/2011 AMD AM2/AM3/FM1/FM2 €85,00
SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB Lettura 550MB/s Scrittura 520MB/s SATA3 2.5" Retail €165,00
Blu-ray: 16X LG BH16NS40 BD/DVD/CD Nero bulk €66,00
All these components are sold by DAV (TOT. €1.330,00)
Already Owned
CASE: COOLERMASTER XCalade (Dominator) 690
POWER: Corsair CMPSU-750TX (750W)

This would be my first build. Please, can you tell me if I'm going something wrong?
Thanks!

Guys,what is the best component...i want to buy AMD FX 8350,so...which motherboard and graphic card please for Mac OS X ?
Ignoring the forum rules?

• AMD nor Atom CPUs and NVIDIA, ATI, VIA or SIS desktop chipsets are not supported by the methods and software on this site and will not work. Any post requesting help for or asking about these will be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back