Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide November 2013

Hey. Can somebody please answer my question. Can you do a software update on a Hackintosh? I am totally new to this. And could somebody tell tonymacx86 to update the hackintosh list of this year for the next year that is 2014!!!

You're misunderstanding how the buyer's guide works. It is updated monthly with the latest tested
compatible hardware. The next will be around Dec. 15th. It's not projecting into the future what
may possibly work, it's based on the changes Apple makes to their OS X software.

I wonder how the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5-TH could be on the recommended lists while i haven't seen a successful build of it yet. Yes, other almost similar board work, and yes, i have a lot of faith it will work. But i haven't seen someone who made one and tells us that the thunderbolt works. Or, is it me that i missed the successful build-post?
Again.
Repost.
A growing number of people have Thunderbolt problems with this mobo. I suggest you take it off the buyers list until this is solved.

hi guys! i've got i5-4670. is it ok for hackintosh? 10.8.5? which motherboard will be the best for this processor? thanks a lot!

Can I use Corsair SSD as a system drive? (for example Corsair Force GS [CSSD-F128GBGS-BK])

Is it possible to put the lowest wattage i5 into the CustoMac Mini (Core i5-4570S listed at 65W instead of the i3's 54W)? Or is that extra 11 W of heat, about 20% extra, too much for the little guy?

Does anyone know if the lowest wattage i5 would work in a CustoMac Mini? Thanks!

A few questions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1455221

1) Will this combo be thoroughly compatible?
2) Can I easily boot up mavericks 10.9?
3) Is it absolutely required​ to use the specified RAM from the customac list?
4) Will I be able to avoid this issue?
The only component in there that is really going to give you a headache is the motherboard. Right now, only Gigabyte motherboards using their newer UEFI BIOS are out of the box compatible with no DSDTs required, and only a single SSDT required using the DropSSDT=Yes argument in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist if you want HDMI audio when using an nVidia GPU with that capability (the SSDT is provided by Toleda in his HDMI Audio Guide for Mavericks).

The rest of the components in that builds are OK, but as I said, unless you're comfortable delving into DSDT editing, stick with a Gigabyte motherboard.

This is my first time building a computer, will it be very difficult?

Thanks alot! :)

-Matt

Hopefully once the new Mac Pros come out next month, there will be support for the new AMD GPUs. I am eyeing the R9 290 GPU!

Hiya, I've been using an AMD VTX3D 7970 on my Hackintosh for like almost 2 months now & it's GREAT!!!

Tonymac: thanks for the awesome guide/recommendations you put together. I had a question on the RAM however. Admittedly I am new to this. I notice the RAM is only Corsair and specifically only the low profile. Is this due to compatilibity with the Gigabyte motherboard or just a quality recommendation. If this is simply a recommendation on quality, I would really appreciate a list of other compatible (less costly memory) that can be used: ie the regular corsair or even other specific brands.

If anyone else has some thoughts on this, I would appreciate the recs.

Thanks

Tonymac: thanks for the awesome guide/recommendations you put together. I had a question on the RAM however. Admittedly I am new to this. I notice the RAM is only Corsair and specifically only the low profile. Is this due to compatilibity with the Gigabyte motherboard or just a quality recommendation. If this is simply a recommendation on quality, I would really appreciate a list of other compatible (less costly memory) that can be used: ie the regular corsair or even other specific brands.

If anyone else has some thoughts on this, I would appreciate the recs.

Thanks

You can use any quality branded memory from any manufacturer/brand that works with your motherboard.

As a generalisation look for DDR3, (PC3-12800(1600mhz)) cas timings of 9-9-9-24 or 10-10-10-27 & 1.50volts

You can use slower or faster memory, but stick to the above basic spec and you should be fine. There are thousands of memory options available - we are unable to cover them all.

Adrian B

[h=2][/h]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back