Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide November 2013

i wonder how you can say HD 4600 is FULLY supported in mac os x. it works fine with 1 monitor, yes. but with > 1 monitors there are so many bugs.

Hi,

Is this true ? So manny bugs with more than 1 monitor ?

- Anyone succeed to display 2560x1440 (on each one) with 2 monitors ?

Hi,

Is this true ? So manny bugs with more than 1 monitor ?

- Anyone succeed to display 2560x1440 (on each one) with 2 monitors ?

Generally the maximum resolution on DVI-D is 1920x1200 (1920x1080 in effect), some motherboards will do a higher resolution with a HDMI cable - although this can only be possible if the cable conforms to the newest available 1.4a specification.
DisplayPort v1.2 also supports resolutions above 1920x1200
Check your motherboard details by entering your motherboard model and checking its specification: http://www.gigabyte.us/?f=g

You will require a GPU if your motherboard does not support the resolutions that you require.

Adrian B

Generally the maximum resolution on DVI-D is 1920x1200 (1920x1080 in effect), some motherboards will do a higher resolution with a HDMI cable - although this can only be possible if the cable conforms to the newest available 1.4a specification.
DisplayPort v1.2 also supports resolutions above 1920x1200
Check your motherboard details by entering your motherboard model and checking its specification: http://www.gigabyte.us/?f=g

You will require a GPU if your motherboard does not support the resolutions that you require.

Adrian B

Thank you for the answer. it's the
GA-Z87N-WIFI so it's support 4K resolution. I was just wondering reading teitz post:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/114786-3-monitors-hdmi-hot-plug-lan-hot-plug-audio.html

With the same MB having problems connecting multiple monitors.

Thank you for the answer. it's the
GA-Z87N-WIFI so it's support 4K resolution. I was just wondering reading teitz post:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/114786-3-monitors-hdmi-hot-plug-lan-hot-plug-audio.html

With the same MB having problems connecting multiple monitors.

There is some limitations using OS X on PC hardware. I have seen a number of people trying to run multiple displays from GPUs having similar problems. The problem is often compounded if the screen s use different resolutions. It is also possible to use onboard HD4600 and a PGU at the same time.

Adrian B

Hello all,

I've found two "old" GTX Titan bought in february and april. I suppose it is GK110-400-A1 chipset. Is there any software in Windows to check the chipset ? Just to be sure before buying...

EDIT : It seems GPU-Z only displays "GK110" without any precision.

Thanks.

Hi. Why would my Core i7-4771 3.5Ghz appear as [email protected] GHz in both About This Mac and Geekbench I definitively don't want to overclock it (energy & heat saving), it's strange it works at max speed.

Again.
Repost.
A growing number of people have Thunderbolt problems with this mobo. I suggest you take it off the buyers list until this is solved.

I'm not seeing this board on the 2013 Buyer's Guide as of the date of this posting. At this point in time past the launch of all the new Haswell-optimized chipset boards, one would be hard-pressed to find one for sale these days anyway. I rather doubt that it's still in production & it may take some diligence in finding one.

Having said that, I have had almost ZERO problems with the Thunderbolt on my build (see link to my Music Studio v2.0 build in Golden Builds).

Currently I've successfully tested & run the following (in both ports):

The only thing I have NOT had success with via this board's on-board TB connection is to use a MDP/TB > DVI adapter. I also have a TB > Ethernet adapter, but really had no reason to test this one out due to the successful working of the on-board Ethernet.

I know there are a handful of users who have this board & a TB Cinema Display & they are having random issues. But I don't think it's worth completely discounting this board from the Buyer's Guide, as I would venture to say there are more people like me with success stories.

...but clearly a moot point now...yes?

--B

Odd, as I have had almost ZERO problems with the Thunderbolt on my build (see link to my Music Studio v2.0 build in Golden Builds).

Currently I've successfully tested & run the following (in both ports):

The only thing I have NOT had success with via this board's on-board TB connection is to use a MDP/TB > DVI adapter. I also have a TB > Ethernet adapter, but really had no reason to test this one out due to the successful working of the on-board Ethernet.

I know there are a handful of users who have this board & a TB Cinema Display & they are having random issues. But I don't think it's worth completely discounting this board from the Buyer's Guide, as I would venture to say there are more people like me with success stories.

Having said all that, at this point in time past the launch of all the new Haswell-optimized chipset boards, one would be hard-pressed to find one for sale these days. I rather doubt that it's still in production & it may take some diligence in finding one.

--B

Hi BoomR,
I am talking about the Z87X-UD5-TH.
You have the Z77X-UP5-TH. I have the Z77X-UP4 and that is also fine thunderbolt wise. But the mobo of my subject is the Z87X-UD5-TH.

Having said that; there is one user who may have found a method for enabling thunderbolt on the Z87X-UD5 so there is light at the horizon.

Hi BoomR,
I am talking about the Z87X-UD5-TH.
You have the Z77X-UP5-TH. I have the Z77X-UP4 and that is also fine thunderbolt wise. But the mobo of my subject is the Z87X-UD5-TH.

Having said that; there is one user who may have found a method for enabling thunderbolt on the Z87X-UD5 so there is light at the horizon.

Dude - soooo sorry for that oversight! Clearly I needed more coffee this morning! :banghead:

Was reading that link for the TB work-around on Z87X-UD5-TH & it dawned on me: on my mobo, when you go into System Report & click Thunderbolt, it doesn't show up either (even when devices are connected to it) - BUT, my TB ports still work. Really odd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back