Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide May 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide May 2013

The reason the i3 - 3225 is on the recommended list is because it has HD 4000 graphics built in - you are able to get the audio and video output working via HDMI, which is very good if you wish to have your CustoMac connected to a TV.

The i3 - 3220 can be used, you can add a simple cheep Nvida GT610 or any other recommended card. You will not be able to get the audio and video working together via HDMI. If this is only going to be connected to a DVI - D monitor then you would be OK to use the 3220.

Hope that helps you make your decision :)

thx bro for help :thumbup::)

Looks like the Budget ATX comes in just under US$500, skipping the GPU and adding Blu-ray. May have to pencil this one in as my build, unless the imminent Intel updates make the Ivy Bridge i3 look like garbage...

First of all these guides rock and thank you so much. So here's my questions:

In the next week or so I will be ordering my CustoMac Pro parts and I was just curious about a few things as I finalize my choices. I am looking at getting the gigabyte mobo with the dual thunderbolt ports. Have there been any known issues with the ports? I will be getting the thunderbolt to fw800 adapter so I can use my current fw drives. Has there been any issues/limitations running these? is there a limit to the number of drives I can daisy chain, etc? Also should I hook up the wifi/bluetooth card that comes with it at first? Or will it cause issues with unibeast?

Also the 32gb corsair quad channel kit is discontinued on newegg. I see its up on amazon, but I was going to get everything except the fw800 adapter through newegg and I would rather make sure it all shows up at the same time. Now I haven't built a system since my Core 2 Duo E6600 several years back so I don't know the ins and outs of quad channel kits, but could I just buy two sets of these dual channel kits?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233246

They seem to have the same timings and such so from what I know it should work, but I just want to make sure because I know this process can be finicky. Using it for work so I just want to make sure I'll spend as little time banging my head off the desk as possible. Thanks in advance!

Looks like the Budget ATX comes in just under US$500, skipping the GPU and adding Blu-ray. May have to pencil this one in as my build, unless the imminent Intel updates make the Ivy Bridge i3 look like garbage...

Intel are releasing the i7 and i5 Haswell chips soon. The i3 will not be available until September/October.

The main Haswell benefits are mainly aimed towards mobile devices rather than desktop builds. Intel claim up to 50% more usage on a single charge.

Hope that helps.

Will this setup provide HDMI audio on both GFX?

Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H

Intel Core i5-3570K (HD4000)
Sapphire 6870 (My current ATI card, working HDMI audio on 10.8.3)

Thanks!

Because they can be a major problem setting up- and support is still experimental.
AMD Sapphire 7950. I do believe it will work.

Hey I don't know if anyone noticed, but for the customac mini deluxe build, I don't think that corsair 650 PSU fits in the Prodigy case... >_< Correct me if I'm wrong...

I can confirm that the Corsair 650 Watt Modular power supply doesn't fit in the BitFenix Prodigy case. I wish I had seen your comment before trusting the parts list they provided. :(

I can confirm that the Corsair 650 Watt Modular power supply doesn't fit in the BitFenix Prodigy case. I wish I had seen your comment before trusting the parts list they provided. :(

For future purchases, do some research on amazon / the product's website, they usually have dimensions on the PSU's

When it comes to customac pro list the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH comes already with a wifi card, so why should i buy the TP Link ones ??

I think the Seagate Momentus XT drives should be mentioned in the drives section. Not only are the 2.5" 7200RPM but with the Hybrid technology and value for money the 750GB version is great. The boot time is phenomenal and they are very quiet. I have built many systems using these drives and I think for first time/budget conscious builders they are a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back