Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide May 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide May 2013

4TH GENERATION INTEL 1150 SYSTEM
Wondering when someone will put together a new 4th generation 1150 socket system. I'm looking at the GA-Z87-D3HP and it looks like it has the right chipsets. Any input yet on building with this 4th generation? If either Tony or MacMan gives the go on this board, I'll build one and post results.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...ll-test-build-core-i7-4770k-ga-z87x-ud3h.html

Only one thing is not really a good recommendation: the power of the PSU in this guides.
Solution:
Take (and recommend) a PSU with 450 W. This is enough and more "green" for shure.

One thing to keep in mind is that the figure is the total output of the power supply. A 450 W power supply might not be able to supply 300 W to a very high end video card even if the total of other components is less than 100 W.

That said I'm using HD4000 built in graphics and my highest stress-test load according to my Kill-A-Watt was 180 watts. And that's a reading at the wall, so the power supply is only supplying maybe 180*70% = 126 watts. When I'm watching videos, my typical reading is about 50 W. 450 W is plenty of power.

In addition to getting a lower capacity power supply, I'd also suggest checking NewEgg.com for their special offers. I see one now for $25 that has a nice quiet 120mm fan. It's not bronze certified efficiency, but then again, I'm reading 50 W at the wall. If I'm wasting 5 W compared to a bronze supply (unlikely) I'm paying maybe $8 per year extra to run my computer 24x7. You can also find bronze 450 W supplies for about $35 if you search and wait.

Thank you for the current status. From what I've read on the posts, it seems like the motherboard chipsets (not counting CPU and perhaps onboard graphics) shouldn't be a problem as they don't look like anything new but I'll need to wait till the issues are resolved before building. It's not a new situation. You guys do a great job of working out the kinks. I've been building these since 2010 and I can't even begin to mention the strides forward this forum and the process has made in that time. With anything new it's always been wait till the really smart and capable hackers such as you work it out. Tony has been invaluable with helping me through the years and I thank you for your effort on all of this.

how come there aren't any amd 7xxx cards as they are now sort of supported and you have proven that they work
7950 are proven to work by Bob Roche and HackintosherHD on youtube.

Thanks for the guide, it's fantastic!

I ordered the Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UP5 TH, and I only just saw the note about the wifi not working. I was wondering, will the bluetooth on that not work either, or should that be fine? Also, do I really need to get another wifi card right now? I probably will, but I was going to use an ethernet cable. If I should get another wifi card, I definitely can, my pocket is just feeling the sting from this build and if I can save an extra $50, that'd be awesome.
But mostly, do I have to get another bluetooth adapter? I have both an Apple Wireless Keyboard and an Apple Magic Trackpad, and I'd hate not to be able to use them!

Again, thanks so much!

Hi :) Will there be a buyer's guide for june, too? And if so, when will you post it? :)

Good i have motherboard Z77X UP4 TH. I would like to know if I can install the mountain lion. Thanks

major problem with installing a 3225 with the gigabyte h77-wifi... you must use a nvidia card(i used a 650, a 630 or so will work) so that you can get to the mac desktop to run multibeast!...
after checking lnx2mac lan, alc 892... and perhaps (add 1920*1080 screen resolution) you DO NOT need the nvidia card after that. (meaning remove it, and use the HD4000 gpu).

although if you are going to keep the nvidia card, you must check "no graphics enable."

yes it is strange that you need an nvidia card to boot to the desktop to install multibeast, but i tried it with only using the HD4000, but it would not get to the desktop to install multibeast.

i am think that this is an "issue" with unibeast(meaning somehow the desktop gets stuck when doing that fist boot to the mac screen because all that you see is the spinning lines thing at the apple logo gray screen) , but i do not know.

TL;DR, seems that you need an 6 series nvidia card to be able to get to the mac desktop for the first time after installing mountain lion useing unibeast so that multibeast ccan be installed.

lol, because the pcie slot was ripped off of the MB because the latch stuck, i had to remove all of the connects in the pcie slot, thus in effect removing the pcie slot.

maybe their is a "boot" load option that you can specify before going to mountain lion for the first time . but i dont know of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back