Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide March 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would just like to thank tonymac and all of the mackintosh community on the forums for helping me through my guide of building my first hackintosh! Thank-You all for your wonderful support and I truly do appreciate it :)

The CustoMac Pro Build recommends the Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB drive for system usage if you don't want to go the SSD route.
Unfortunately that hard drive has been out of stock at Newegg for over a month and the Seagate website makes it look like it's been discontinued.

Does anyone know of a good, affordable, current, 1TB, 7200rpm hard drive, that would be good for putting one's system on?

Questions on a build

Hello, I am pretty new around here, been digging around and learning from all the great info put together on here(incredible site). I am trying to do my first OSX build and have a few questions I was hoping to get help with. I already bought the processor but I am ready to order remaining items after I get a bit more clarity. Here is the planned budget build with future upgrades I have in mind:

i7 4770k
GA-Z87M-D3H
8x2 16gb 1600mhz(leaving room to upgrade later)
1TB HD for main drive(upgrade to SSD later)
3TB HD(backup drive)

-I was considering the GA-Z87MX-D3H but it seems the only thing I gain is a display port. Is that correct?

-Will I be able to run 2 extended displays with this setup or will I need another video card? Looks like I can use the VGA port for 1 display and the DVI for the second one, I assume I should be able to use the HDMI for the third if I wanted to but not sure how to figure this out.

-What SSD is the best choice? I am a little confused as it says the samsung needs more technical setup yet it is the recommended SSD for each build, is that a typo or what am I missing?

-How would I add BT for adding a Magic track pad?

Finally I am wondering how the machine will perform from a user standpoint, what will be different from an authentic mac? Will it be stable, can I still use the App Store to get apps etc. will updates work automatically or is there a special process for each update? I am not super advanced but I have low to mid level of understanding of computer stuff overall. I plan to use this machine as my primary machine not just a play machine so I am wondering if I am getting into more than I may be able to handle doing an OSX build :).

Thanks
GP

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide March 2014

Hello, I am pretty new around here, been digging around and learning from all the great info put together on here(incredible site). I am trying to do my first OSX build and have a few questions I was hoping to get help with. I already bought the processor but I am ready to order remaining items after I get a bit more clarity. Here is the planned budget build with future upgrades I have in mind:

i7 4770k
GA-Z87M-D3H
8x2 16gb 1600mhz(leaving room to upgrade later)
1TB HD for main drive(upgrade to SSD later)
3TB HD(backup drive)

-I was considering the GA-Z87MX-D3H but it seems the only thing I gain is a display port. Is that correct?

-Will I be able to run 2 extended displays with this setup or will I need another video card? Looks like I can use the VGA port for 1 display and the DVI for the second one, I assume I should be able to use the HDMI for the third if I wanted to but not sure how to figure this out.

-What SSD is the best choice? I am a little confused as it says the samsung needs more technical setup yet it is the recommended SSD for each build, is that a typo or what am I missing?

-How would I add BT for adding a Magic track pad?

Finally I am wondering how the machine will perform from a user standpoint, what will be different from an authentic mac? Will it be stable, can I still use the App Store to get apps etc. will updates work automatically or is there a special process for each update? I am not super advanced but I have low to mid level of understanding of computer stuff overall. I plan to use this machine as my primary machine not just a play machine so I am wondering if I am getting into more than I may be able to handle doing an OSX build :).

Thanks
GP

Based on my Customac,

1. Yes, you can use 1 port with VGA and another port with DVI

2. I have OCZ Vertex SSDs for dual boot and both do not need additional setup.

3. Once you have a supported BT adapter added on your OSX, you simply connect Trackpad with your machine :)

Yes, CustoMac works well for me like a real Macs :)

I assume I should be able to use the HDMI for the third if I wanted to but not sure how to figure this out.

I am also interested in running three monitor setup. can anyone confirm some cheap boards that works with three monitors?

thanks PH

Based on my Customac,

1. Yes, you can use 1 port with VGA and another port with DVI

2. I have OCZ Vertex SSDs for dual boot and both do not need additional setup.

3. Once you have a supported BT adapter added on your OSX, you simply connect Trackpad with your machine :)

Yes, CustoMac works well for me like a real Macs :)

Thank you you very much! I may do a dual boot with windows if I don't do parralels. Do you know id a 120gb will be large enough to do both windows and OSX?
Thanks

I just ordered everything I need for a Custom MacPro Socket 2011 and I just want to be clear that the following specs will not put me into the category of "Ivy Bridge E/EP based systems are working with the native kernel, however workarounds are necessary for full support." because I am assuming that E/EP systems use a CPU that is not listed in the recommendations... Am I right?

My new configuration will be:

GA-X79-UP4
Intel Core i7-4930K
GeForce GTX 760
32GB 1600MHz DDR3

Can I run multi-beast on my hard drive before moving it over to the new machine (currently running a GA-EX58-UD5 with i7 920) and just go with the new configuration? Or is there going to be a workaround I need or a more involved conversion process?

I have loved my machine for about 4 years and there's not a thing wrong with it, I'm just wanting to take advantage of some new speed and processing power... I hope I see a nice improvement.

Any advice would be awesome, or reassurance that my plan has no flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back