Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide January 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question around disc drive sizes please.

Am I right in thinking that as long as the O/S is on a disc smaller than 1TB, other discs can be any size?

So I could install the O/S on the recommended 120GB SSD and use a larger Barracuda as the storage drive eg the
Seagate 3TB SATA 3 ST3000DM001 7200rpm with 64MB Cache?

Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi: a question if I may about disc sizes.

Is it just the start-up disc that has to be a certain type/brand and sized under 1TB? Can a second storage drive be any size or make, eg a 3TB Seagate?

Thanks.

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide January 2013

I have a question i'm hoping someone would answer for me. I'm looking on try my first build and use the CustoMac Pro Build from the list of on the top but I was looking at a different case. How do I find out if the case I like will fit my hardware? sorry if it seems like a dumb question.

Make sure you pick a case that is the right form factor for your motherboard (ATX, mATX, ITX, etc. ) and if you are getting a smaller form factor check the dimensions on your CPU cooler and graphics card to make sure they fit.

Hey, is there a guide on how to install 10.8.2 on the "CustoMac Budget ATX"? I bought the system up to the last screw and for the last 24 hours strait I fight with it. Thanks

Great buyer's guide! I really like the specs for the Mini Deluxe config. Any recommendations for an alternative to the out-of-stock BitFenix case? Just size up to one of the mATX cases or something?

On the listed parts here for the LG BluRay Optical Drive, Amazon and Newegg list to 2 different models. Is that OK for my first build? Thanks.

Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide January 2013

You can always use those USB-sound-cards, they're Plug and Play and the majority of them will work on a Mac with no problem but I'll tell you, I've tested a few and I can say that the quality really sucks, one thing I tested and really liked are those Plug and Play USB speakers ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002KQ561A/?tag=tonymacx86-21 ) the sound quality is amazing but on the bad side they don't have headphones jack which means you won't be able to use a headphone. If you have some extra bucks to spend just buy both :thumbup:

If sound quality is something your serious about then buying something like the M-Audio Fast Track USB (aka Avid Recording Studio) for around £90 is well worth the investment, it works on Win XP - 8 and OSX 10.5 - 10.8, includes XLR mic input (with phantom power if needed), 1/4" guitar input and headphone output with direct monitoring. It is also bus powered. No drivers are required to get it working, but installing them improves the sound quality (allows 48Khz output, not the standard 44.1Khz).

I have one and use it in preference over my onboard sound, as the quality is far better and my previous motherboard lost support for the onboard audio when i moved to Lion.

hello! is there a particular reason why the
GA-Z77-DS3H in microatx form factor has been cancelled from this guide? any problems with it?

Any one have much luck with building up one of these set ups in an OEM Mac Pro Case? Looking for a good project build like this and i am pretty good with build ups with some form of direction but have not been very successful with trouble shooting along the way. Ideally i'd like to find a build up that works and make a carbon copy for myself. If possible using a Mac Pro Case. If anyone has a good suggestion i'd love the imput.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back