Contribute
Register

Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide 2012

Simple reason, the HD 6000-series is end of life and the HD 7000-series doesn't work, at least not yet, possibly never...

why make soemthing end of life, my old 2009 mac mini upgraded to 8 gig ram, 256 SSD, and put a 2nd drive into a caddy wich the latest mac mini wouldnt have the space for , and it flies.

i guess from a size perspective 2 current mac minis are the same size as the old, one, so you can ship more for the same prive and probably earn more

thats not being anti mac, and i'm no a huge CD user, it just makes sense from a marketing perspective.

is the newest always the best from a customer / user perspective - whos winning?

why make soemthing end of life, my old 2009 mac mini upgraded to 8 gig ram, 256 SSD, and put a 2nd drive into a caddy wich the latest mac mini wouldnt have the space for , and it flies.

i guess from a size perspective 2 current mac minis are the same size as the old, one, so you can ship more for the same prive and probably earn more

thats not being anti mac, and i'm no a huge CD user, it just makes sense from a marketing perspective.

is the newest always the best from a customer / user perspective - whos winning?

Huh? What does this have to do with AMD stopping manufacturing a GPU family and replacing it with a new one? This is the life cycle of computer hardware. Expect something new within 12 months, it's how the industry is moving forward.

So, to anyone who's more familiar with how these things usually play out... Any ideas when the price of Gigabyte's new mobos will start to come down? Specifically the UP5 TH?

$250 (in the U.S.) seems a bit much for a motherboard, regardless of how nice & shiny it is. I'm decided on the UP5, but if a price drop is around the corner I'll (begrudgingly) wait.

Thoughts?

So, to anyone who's more familiar with how these things usually play out... Any ideas when the price of Gigabyte's new mobos will start to come down? Specifically the UP5 TH?

$250 (in the U.S.) seems a bit much for a motherboard, regardless of how nice & shiny it is. I'm decided on the UP5, but if a price drop is around the corner I'll (begrudgingly) wait.

Thoughts?
Until Gigabyte starts using the VRM's in the UP4 and UP5 on other boards in volume the price won't be going down. The leading edge technology used in the UP5 TH doesn't come cheap.

Until Gigabyte starts using the VRM's in the UP4 and UP5 on other boards in volume the price won't be going down. The leading edge technology used in the UP5 TH doesn't come cheap.

Fair enough. Thanks for the input MacMan! It's good to know. =) Guess I'll be paying premium price for premium products. Not so bad, considering that I'm getting one of the best boards in existence (right now).

Hopefully I'll have a successful build to post to the forums soon!

I just built a UP 5 TH and it was the easiest hack I've every built. One amazing board.

I will be doing a build guide as soon as I can get some time.

Fair enough. Thanks for the input MacMan! It's good to know. =) Guess I'll be paying premium price for premium products. Not so bad, considering that I'm getting one of the best boards in existence (right now).

Hopefully I'll have a successful build to post to the forums soon!

I used the UP5 for my first attempt at a CustoMac. Other than the included pci wifi card not being supported (go with the recommended TP-Link card), the build could not have been much easier. I guess that's why it's on the recommended list. I used a Core-i7 3770K CPU and the machine has been rock solid on 10.8.1

-bth

I used the UP5 for my first attempt at a CustoMac. Other than the included pci wifi card not being supported (go with the recommended TP-Link card), the build could not have been much easier. I guess that's why it's on the recommended list. I used a Core-i7 3770K CPU and the machine has been rock solid on 10.8.1

-bth

Thanks, bth. I've tried to do my homework on all this Hackintosh stuff, as this will be my first build as well; everywhere I turn people seem to regard the UP5 as the best & easiest-to-use motherboard in the history of Hacks so far. Still, it's nice to hear from a fellow first-timer -- thanks for chiming in.

I'm aware that the Bluetooth/Wifi won't work (which is a bummer, 'cause I'm sure that card adds to the cost of this mobo), but honestly I don't use either much at all on my desktop machines... at least not Wifi. Does anyone have experience with the recommended Targus Bluetooth adapter? It's got mostly bad reviews on Amazon, which always makes me more that a little leery of buying. Aren't there better ones out there that are Hack compatible? Like this one -> (http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-USB-Bluetooth-Adapter-Technology/dp/B004LNXO28/ref=pd_cp_e_2) maybe?

Cool! Thanks for the ideas.

I haven't built a machine in 3 years, first hackentosh attempt is on order. I forgot to order a CPU fan, will any fan do that is compatible with the processor and motherboard or do i need to look for a specific? I bought all the parts listed for the mini customac build but not a fan. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back