Contribute
Register

Building a 19" Rackmount Computer for Audio Production: Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello Everyone!

Ok so my computer that I currently use is not handling the amount of tracks and effects that i use so i need to build a new one. i have been reading here a lot about it, but i have yet to build my own yet so this will be my first project.

The specs that i need for my setup are:

• 19" Rackmount-able case to fit on the rack with my other audio units (sound treated to keep it quiet)
  • Has to have 2 Thunderbolt 2 ports for my interface
  • Plenty of usb
  • 4 core i7 4770
  • 32 gb of the best ram
  • 1 SSD for Maverics, User Library, Logic, and Ableton
  • at least 2 hhd for projects, samples, etc
  • no need for a good graphics card
  • Good fans to keep it cool (will be overclocked) but they have to be extremely quiet

i guess the main thing i need to know is what fans to buy to make this machine quiet and what case to get that will fit on my rack. if anyone has done anything like this or has any ideas please let me know. Thank You

I'm running a Z87X-UD7-TH, has two TB2 ports, and an iStar E40 15" Rack case. I added a water CPU cooler and couple of Noctua low profile fans (requires some modding). You need to install windows to activate the TB controller.

I'm running a Z87X-UD7-TH, has two TB2 ports, and an iStar E40 15" Rack case. I added a water CPU cooler and couple of Noctua low profile fans (requires some modding). You need to install windows to activate the TB controller.

Ok I'll check that motherboard out but I has to be 19" unfortunately. And is that all I need to do with Windows? Can I just get rid of it after that?

Ok I'll check that motherboard out but I has to be 19" unfortunately. And is that all I need to do with Windows? Can I just get rid of it after that?

Yes, you just run windows once, load the TH drivers and then after you shut down you
can remove the windows drive altogether.

The E-40 case is a Rack case, 19" wide, 15" deep, 7" high.

The E-40 case is a Rack case, 19" wide, 15" deep, 7" high.
Oh ok my apologies I misunderstood il check it out . I think atx makes sound treated rackmount cases. I just need to make sure they will fit the motherboard I need.

I put all this in another post but i guess i might as well put it here as well.

Here is everything:

Antec Take 4 +650 with fans and PSU

GA-Z87X-UD7 TH

Intel Core i7-4770K

ARCTIC Freezer i30

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile 32GB Kit

Samsung Electronics 840 Pro SSD

4 Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDDs

hopefully that is all compatible and will work with the case i have chosen.

Looks like a really well built rack mount case by Antec. I would guess that the i30 cpu cooler
should fit with no problem as you'll have over 160 mm of clearance. L.P. ram is a good idea
too. Let us know how it all works out for you.

Looks like a really well built rack mount case by Antec. I would guess that the i30 cpu cooler
should fit with no problem as you'll have over 160 mm of clearance. L.P. ram is a good idea
too. Let us know how it all works out for you.

Will do. Thanks for looking it over for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back