Contribute
Register

Build Recommendations for older versions of OS X/macOS using older Chipsets

I have a few OLD hacks.

On my Dell Inspiron 530 (G33 chipset), I converted the socket 775 from Core2Quad Q9300 to Xeon E5450 and still have & boot 10.6.8, 10.9.5, 10.11.4, 10.12.6, Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10.

Good old Snow Leopard is still snappy and responsive as ever...even more so than Sierra.

If you could install 10.11.4 that would be even more impressive.
There is no problem on installing any Mac OS (OS X before) since 10.5 on a Core2duo or Pentium D CPU, I have a Core2quad with Sierra (in fact, I´m typing with that machine right now)

There is no problem on installing any Mac OS (OS X before) since 10.5 on a Core2duo or Pentium D CPU, I have a Core2quad with Sierra (in fact, I´m typing with that machine right now)
That was a typo on my part. Meant to say 10.4.11 which was OS X Tiger.

Brilliant idea as I always wanted to give some memories back, but back then used real Macs so I don't know in which Hackintosh category hardware should I search.

But now after searching must say damn z77 motherboards are even more expensive than 100 or 200 series.

There quite a few Z77 boards on Ebay. Maybe try looking for a motherboard bundle chip and motherboard together may work out cheaper in a long run. Ive been looking at a few for the backup server I'm building.

If USB 3 doesn't bother you theres a few LGA1155 Series 6 Boards on Ebay and other sites such as Amazon.com etc. The Intel DH67BL boards are quite cheap and works perfectly fine with OS X/macOS.

I wouldn't bother with LGA775 only because they're being fazed out by Apple.

There quite a few Z77 boards on Ebay. Maybe try looking for a motherboard bundle chip and motherboard together may work out cheaper in a long run. Ive been looking at a few for the backup server I'm building.
Ivy Bridge and the Q/H/Z77 chipsets were probably the most OS X / macOS friendly series ever. It's a really good choice if you don't need the latest cutting edge features in a build. :thumbup: Everything except iTunes DRM content just works like on a Mac.

Ivy Bridge and the Q/H/Z77 chipsets were probably the most OS X / macOS friendly series ever. It's a really good choice if you don't need the latest cutting edge features in a build. :thumbup: Everything except iTunes DRM content just works like on a Mac.

One of the reasons why I'm still with my Z77 Desktop it just works like a official Mac. Although DRM problem works perfectly fine with Series 6 Sandy Bridge boards.

Have 2 CustoMacs using Sandy bridge. I have being using them non-stop since 10.6.8. Extremely pleased with them, early challenges were minimal and since I switched to Clover they have been feeling like real Macs. Can't wait to put HS on them. Will drive those babies to the ground :clap: :lol:

So...
Should I be able to install Sierra (or High Sierra) on a z68ap-d3 (rev 2.0) using the current Clover-based guides?
Or should I rather install an older (chimera-based) version of OSX and then go through the update process to reach 10.12 or 10.13?

Best,
-a-

So...
Should I be able to install Sierra (or High Sierra) on a z68ap-d3 (rev 2.0) using the current Clover-based guides?
Or should I rather install an older (chimera-based) version of OSX and then go through the update process to reach 10.12 or 10.13?
Best,
-a-
I would install Clover for legacy booting of Sierra. That is if you haven't already updated BIOS to UEFI. I've never tried the UEFI update on my Z68 mATX system as legacy booting has worked great for me.

I would install Clover for legacy booting of Sierra. That is if you haven't already updated BIOS to UEFI. I've never tried the UEFI update on my Z68 mATX system as legacy booting has worked great for me.
Yeah... I am tempted to upgrade to UEFI (UA9) but maybe that's too much of a risk to take...

Back