Contribute
Register

Build Recommendations for older versions of OS X/macOS using older Chipsets

If I was to buy the Coffee Lake supported hardware, would I be able to run 10.11.4 or would I need to buy SkyLake hardware from last summer for that?

I have some older programs I need to keep but running and 10.11.4 is my limit right now. I am currently running 10.6.8 and I am running into issues on a daily basis given how old the OS is.

If I was to buy the Coffee Lake supported hardware, would I be able to run 10.11.4 or would I need to buy SkyLake hardware from last summer for that?

I have some older programs I need to keep but running and 10.11.4 is my limit right now. I am currently running 10.6.8 and I am running into issues on a daily basis given how old the OS is.
You would need Skylake 100 series or older Z/H97 Haswell 9 series to run El Capitan successfully.

Great thanks so much.

Hi

From the older builds suggestion on this website (10.6.8+ VS 10.7.5+), Which build should I go for in order to Instal the 10.7.5 lion ?

I know it's a bit of a silly question, I am a newbie at this website and I really need to be sure so I won't order the wrong parts.

Huge thanks for the help!

Hi

From the older builds suggestion on this website (10.6.8+ VS 10.7.5+), Which build should I go for in order to Instal the 10.7.5 lion ?

I know it's a bit of a silly question, I am a newbie at this website and I really need to be sure so I won't order the wrong parts.

Huge thanks for the help!

Sandy Bridge Gigabyte Z68 for the motherboard. Mine has been in use for over 6 years and still works flawlessly. You can get a used i5-2400 or 2500K CPU for not that much money. Check on Ebay. If you can't find a good used Z68 board try the H67 chipset. Add in some DDR3 1600 MHz ram and you're all set.

Sandy Bridge Gigabyte Z68 for the motherboard. Mine has been in use for over 6 years and still works flawlessly. You can get a used i5-2400 or 2500K CPU for not that much money. Check on Ebay. If you can't find a good used Z68 board try the H67 chipset. Add in some DDR3 1600 MHz ram and you're all set.

Great, That sounds amazing!

Is that build from any of the suggested 10.6.8+ or 10.7.5+ pages?
I will definitely check out the specs you mentioned and I might go with that, although I would like add an intel i7 quad core instead of the i5 if supported.

Thank you so much for the help, really appreciate that!

Last edited:
Great, That sounds amazing!

Is that build from any of the suggested 10.6.8+ or 10.7.5+ pages?
I will definitely check out the specs you mentioned and I might go with that, although I would like add an intel i7 quad core instead of the i5 if supported.

Thank you so much for the help, really appreciate that!
Yes, I used the Z68MA-D2H-B3 that was the official CustoMac Budget (mATX build) back in 2011-12. I installed Lion and later upgraded to Mavericks. The only thing that may not work with newer versions of macOS like Sierra is the onboard USB 3 ports. I just disable them. If you can find the i7-2600 or 2600K you could use that with a Z68 board. They sell for a little over $80 on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core...584005&hash=item2aa9bfced9:g:xDYAAOSwDPNa~OUR

Screen Shot 3.jpg I followed this exactly part for part except the case. Used a Rosewill.

Last edited:
Wow, Thank you very much!! :thumbup:
That was super helpful!

I'm using a z68x-UD3H-B3 with a 2600k. i'm having trouble getting my 7850 working with High Sierra 10.13.6, and was thinking of upgrading my video card. Any recommendations for a plug-and-play card? I'd also like to play some games, and work on some video editing. my GPU budget is around $500usd, but was considering RX 580 if i can find one locally.

thanks!

Last edited:
I'm using a z68x-UD3H-B3 with a 2600k. i'm having trouble getting my 7850 working with High Sierra 10.13.6, and was thinking of upgrading my video card. Any recommendations for a plug-and-play card? I'd also like to play some games, and work on some video editing. my GPU budget is around $500usd, but was considering RX 580 if i can find one locally.

thanks!

For the absolute best macOS compatibility go with an Apple recommended card from the eGPU supported program that Apple run. More info in the following link:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...or-egpu-use-macos-high-sierra-10-13-4.248965/
There is an up to date buyers guide that features these specific models:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersgu...the-ultimate-buyers-guide/#AMD_Graphics_Cards

There is plenty of graphics discussion in the Graphics section of the forum, if you wish to go looking for further information.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/graphics.13/

Back