Contribute
Register

Build Power Hackintosh today! (Update Video Cards)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Build Power Hackintosh today!

oshilinawa said:
Does the Wifi card work OOB in 64bit?
I can confirm that the pci-g31 wifi card does not work in snow leopard. The drivers that come with it are for 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5. I tried on 10.6.6 and 10.6.7, no go. It successfully installs but not before giving this error: System extension cannot be used. The system extention "/System/Library/Extentions/RT61CardBusDriver.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

update cards works 68xx

JPA-

Thanks for the thread. I have been waiting to make a new hackintosh and waited until Sandy Bridge was a little more feasible to build. I just need a general purpose, so I didn't go crazy on specs.

Here's my parts list that mostly came from the Amazon/Newegg links on the site:

i5-2500K
Sapphire Radeon 5770
ASUS P8P67 PRO (Got the Pro for $153 shipped!)
Lian Li LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B (These guys make good cases)
Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Seagate Barrcuda 1TB @7200RPM (I just wanted something faster than the 5400 Samsung 1TB)
Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW

Now I want to get an SSD, but don't need it so I don't want to drop a lot of money on one, especially with prices falling all the time. I know that Wintec makes good products, I just don't know what driver they use. I can't find anything on their site or elsewhere. It states that it is 'multi' controller, so I have to guess that it supports TRIM and Sandforce controls? Sandforce just works better, but I know that TRIM can be made to work.

I'm looking at Wintec 64GB FileMate SSD $94, shipped. My plan would be to have this setup with the system on the SSD and the home folder on the HD. Again, I don't need it but for $94, I'll do it.

If anyone has some word of wisdom on the SSD or even my build list, I'd be very appreciative.

Let's hope the install goes well next week.

Buy the 1TB Eco Green WD or Samsung Spinpoint F3/F4 and buy a 60-80GB SSD = much faster, still almost silent.

Damndoe, I have 3 of the Samsung Spinpoints, but I have the 5400RPM. They are are good economical drive, but I'll have to try the 7200RPM. You think that there is enough of a difference that I should change the order out?

Since I couldn't find the driver controller info on the Wintec online, I called the company and they confirmed that all their SSD's now use Sandforce controllers. So, I'm ordering one.

I think the difference between the 5400 and 7200 is not so big. The difference between a regular 5400 and a 10000 VelociRaptor might be big... bug the price is big as well. If you are not in trouble with small system drives (like me, I need like 250Megs SSD :/ still too expensive) get a small SSD and enjoy the DAMN BLAZING FAST speed ;-)

p.s.: someone random dude added TRIM support to 10.6 I read.

I can always add more HD storage. I'll have 3 open bays.

An SSD is just an order away, but I can't decide. Should I go the Wintec route, as it's inexpensive and has the Sandforce controller (I did read that I can get TRIM support, thanks damndoe!) but the specs, while good, aren't nearly as good as other models. The R/W is 170/95MS/s and the Crucial is SATA III and it's read speeds are 355MB/s and is only $40 more.

I'll keep at it. Most of my parts arrive tomorrow. The rest arrive next week.

I can't wait to get this thing built!

Question is how fast does the Crucial SSD run in SATA2 Mode:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5505&p=118593#p118593

SATA 2 is said to reach up to 300 MB/s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA ... bit.2Fs.29

p.s.: even for Desktop PCs it is true: Most operations are probably read operations. So if it does 300MB/s read vs 170/MBs, that is twice, e.g. should be noticable. Find some benchmarks online maybe. See Amazon, Crucial and THG Reviews... good luck. My SSD is still about 30% to drop before I will buy (around 200 Eur for a 250 GB with TRIM and full SATA2 speed and I am in ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back