CPU
i7
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am putti ng together a new hackintosh build but wan t to get the most bang for the buck. However, I don't want to limit my self being able to upgrade later by adding wrong motherboard now.

Which motherboard would you guys recommend

• [h=1]ASUS Sabertooth Z87 LGA 1150 Motherboard[/h]
  • Asus Sabertooth X79 Motherboard

Which Processor????
[h=1]Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011[/h]
[h=1]Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.5 GHZ 8 MB Cache[/h]
I want to edit with FCPX, Photoshop CS5, and do some light gaming.

I am putti ng together a new hackintosh build but wan t to get the most bang for the buck. However, I don't want to limit my self being able to upgrade later by adding wrong motherboard now.

Which motherboard would you guys recommend

• ASUS Sabertooth Z87 LGA 1150 Motherboard
  • Asus Sabertooth X79 Motherboard

Which Processor????
Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011

Intel Core i7-4770K Quad-Core Desktop Processor 3.5 GHZ 8 MB Cache

I want to edit with FCPX, Photoshop CS5, and do some light gaming.

Well on the gaming side. In the newest games like BF4 which will use all of the CPU's threads the 4770k is right under the hexa at stock speeds. To be honest you don't need to overclock either of them on the new games. On some older 3 thread games they are very close (Guild Wars 2 is the most CPU intensive game I can think of). The Hexa will usually OC higher due to the heating solution under the lid (which is why many enthusiasts delid the ivy's/haswell's to try and match the OC on the hexa, but this is risky).

http://www.bf4blog.com/battlefield-4-retail-gpu-cpu-benchmarks/

Both chips are stupidly fast at stock in newer 8/12 thread games and will be top dog for a long time.

Pro's of the Hexa core. This is THE board/chip if you are looking for extreme resolutions and multiple GPU's and you have the money.

Negatives. Cost. Need better cooling. Noctua or Water minimum, need good air flow, bigger power supply. Everything just costs a little more.

Pro's of the I7. Uses lower power, can come close to matching the hexa in everything not production (not that it is slow). Can get by with a stock cooler if you undervolt the chip a bit in the bios (mine runs at .990 as opposed to 1.032 and that dropped temps to high 60's in gaming from 80's). If overclocking an 30 dollar hyper 212 evo will get you to 4.4 usually, depending on the silicon lottery.

I wouldn't consider the -E unless I was running 3 or more video card, but it may be worth it to you for production (can probably google some benchmarks). The E's always OC and OC well. They are the sure thing. I would also look at budget and if a better GPU on the 4770k would tilt it in it's favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back