Graphics
GeForce 9600M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey everyone, I'm a composer/producer looking to build a slave machine to run my virtual instruments. I put together a build at CyberPowerPC, at first thinking I'd just use a PC slave, but then the thought occurred to me : why not try to run it as a Hackintosh and make things simpler? And so, I wanted to ask for feedback on a few of my components.

Perusing some of the recommendations you have here, it seems my processor/mobo combo would work. Would you guys mind glancing at this list of components and see if anything catches your eye?

• CAS:NZXT H2 Classic Silent Mid-Tower Gaming Case [+51] (White Color)
  • CPU:Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
  • FAN:Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
  • HDD:120GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III 6.0 Gb/s SSD - 555MB/s Read & 515MB/s Write [+50] (Single Drive)
  • HDD2:120GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III 6.0 Gb/s SSD - 555MB/s Read & 515MB/s Write [+135] (Single Drive)
  • MEMORY:32GB (8GBx4) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory [+96] (Corsair or Major Brand)
  • MOTHERBOARD:[CrossFireX] GIGABYTE Z77-DS3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1 & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified)
  • OVERCLOCK:Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more) [+49]
  • POWERSUPPLY:350 Watts - Antec Basiq BP350 Power Supply
  • TUNING:* Intel® Core™ i5-3570K Performance Tuning Protection Plan by Intel [+24]
  • VIDEO:AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
----------------
Any experience with overclocking, too? Cyberpower allows you to select 20% overclocking. Will that work with a MacOS install?

Thanks in advance..

Kc

350W will not be enough. I would recommend 550W-600W with that gfx card and amount of OC.

350W will not be enough. I would recommend 550W-600W with that gfx card and amount of OC.

Thanks, that's helpful. How about the RAM? There should be no issue with 4x8GB=32GB RAM being recognized and utilized?

Thanks, that's helpful. How about the RAM? There should be no issue with 4x8GB=32GB RAM being recognized and utilized?

Board specs say it supports p to 32 Gb or ram, so you are probably OK.

450W would be enough (a Corsair HX450W is what I've been using the 3 last years), but it's true that your Antec Basiq would run close to a 100% load or such, and you need some kind of safety margin so it's not getting instable and very loud.
Buy at least a 80+ Bronze PSU. Cheap Chinese crap will fry your components and might even start a fire if overloaded. Antec is OK, BTW.

Update:

I opted for a different motherboard, because the Gigabyte board wasn't rated for the amount of overclock I'm trying to do.

Will I run into problems with the ASUS P8Z77-V LX board? It's in the same Z77 category..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back