Contribute
Register

Buggy DSDT Asus Q501LA, help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it is instant wake. I could not find anything in the system log that looked like a sleep or wake.

What should I pursue on USB?

Frank

It is not instant wak unless you see wake reason.

I turned off spotlight indexing entirely and proceeded to put this laptop to sleep. It goes to sleep as expected, the fan stopping, power light off and blinking occasionally like it does on windows/etc.. But when I hit a key on the keyboard to wake, the power button comes back on, and I hear the fan go on for about 3 seconds, then the computer powers off completely, and I have to manually boot up again. Here's a system log if there are any clues I should be looking for. Thanks guys! :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 1.37.23 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 1.37.23 AM.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 151
I turned off spotlight indexing entirely and proceeded to put this laptop to sleep. It goes to sleep as expected, the fan stopping, power light off and blinking occasionally like it does on windows/etc.. But when I hit a key on the keyboard to wake, the power button comes back on, and I hear the fan go on for about 3 seconds, then the computer powers off completely, and I have to manually boot up again. Here's a system log if there are any clues I should be looking for. Thanks guys! :)

You probably need DSDT patches. Likely candidates from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch
"HPET Fix"
"SMBUS Fix"
"IRQ Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"OS Check Fix"
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"

I have done a clean install to a USB drive to see if I can sleep to work. The system appears to just go to sleep, power light filicks off momentarily, and then immediately restarts. Looking the log file I see that Assertion status for ExternalMedia is set to 1. The complete output is below.

franks-MacBook-Air:~ frank$ pmset -g assertions
3/5/14, 10:40:14 PM EST
Assertion status system-wide:
BackgroundTask 0
PreventDiskIdle 0
ApplePushServiceTask 0
UserIsActive 0
PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0
InteractivePushServiceTask 0
PreventSystemSleep 0
ExternalMedia 1
PreventUserIdleSystemSleep 0
NetworkClientActive 0
Listed by owning process:
pid 16(powerd): [0x000000090000012c] 00:03:18 ExternalMedia named: "com.apple.powermanagement.externalmediamounted"
Kernel Assertions: 0x4=USB
id=500 level=255 0x4=USB mod=3/5/14, 10:47 PM description=EHC3 owner=AppleUSBEHCI
id=501 level=255 0x4=USB mod=3/5/14, 10:51 PM description=XHC1 owner=GenericUSBXHCI
franks-MacBook-Air:~ frank$

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Frank

I have done a clean install to a USB drive to see if I can sleep to work. The system appears to just go to sleep, power light filicks off momentarily, and then immediately restarts. Looking the log file I see that Assertion status for ExternalMedia is set to 1. The complete output is below.

franks-MacBook-Air:~ frank$ pmset -g assertions
3/5/14, 10:40:14 PM EST
BackgroundTask 0
PreventDiskIdle 0
ApplePushServiceTask 0
UserIsActive 0
PreventSystemSleep 0
ExternalMedia 1
NetworkClientActive 0
pid 16(powerd): [0x000000090000012c] 00:03:18 ExternalMedia named: "com.apple.powermanagement.externalmediamounted"
id=500 level=255 0x4=USB mod=3/5/14, 10:47 PM description=EHC3 owner=AppleUSBEHCI
id=501 level=255 0x4=USB mod=3/5/14, 10:51 PM description=XHC1 owner=GenericUSBXHCI
franks-MacBook-Air:~ frank$

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Frank

Unplug the USB external storage you seem to have plugged in...

The usb drive I have plugged in is the one I am booting osx on. Does this mean sleep only works on internal drives?

if that is the case I can move it there. I just wanted to preserve the internal disk version of osx until I got sleep to work. I can back it up and then transfer the clean vesion to the internal drive to see if sleep then works.

Thanks,
Frank

The usb drive I have plugged in is the one I am booting osx on. Does this mean sleep only works on internal drives?

Certain types of external media will block sleep. If you're using external USB for booting OS X and it is creating a sleep assertion, you will not be able to sleep.

Probably time to get serious and install it on the internal...

I got sleep to work when the laptop is running on the battery. Sleep will not be entered if the laptop is powered by AC. Any suggestions on what is preventing sleep while plugged in?

Frank

I got sleep to work when the laptop is running on the battery. Sleep will not be entered if the laptop is powered by AC. Any suggestions on what is preventing sleep while plugged in?

Frank

Check assertions with 'pmset -g assertions'

This is what I get:

franks-MacBook-Pro:~ frank$ pmset -g assertions
3/8/14, 10:14:04 AM EST
BackgroundTask 0
PreventDiskIdle 0
ApplePushServiceTask 1
UserIsActive 0
PreventSystemSleep 0
ExternalMedia 0
NetworkClientActive 0
pid 201(UserEventAgent): [0x0000000c0000015f] 00:02:04 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.EscrowSecurityAlert.daily"
pid 91(apsd): [0x0000000b00000169] 00:00:21 InteractivePushServiceTask named: "com.apple.apsd-connectionestablish-push.apple.com"
id=500 level=255 0x4=USB mod=3/8/14, 10:17 AM description=EHC3 owner=AppleUSBEHCI
id=501 level=255 0x4=USB mod=3/8/14, 10:20 AM description=XHC1 owner=GenericUSBXHCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back