Contribute
Register

Buggy DSDT Asus Q501LA, help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I try to sleep it never shuts off power. If I wait a short time I can get the system to turn on the screen again and be functional. If i wait about 40 seconds or more the power light still stays on but I cannot get the screen to turn on. The only way to get it running again is to hold down the power button and wait for the laptop to power down and then reboot.

Frank

As far as I can tell power management is working ok. The system monitors battery level, predicts remaining time on battery, and indicates when the ac adapter is charging the battery. Is that what you are asking?

No that is battery status. Has nothing to do with power management.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...nagement-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-laptops.html

Haswell is the same but no need to patch AICPUPM. And you should use a Haswell smbios, of course.

If so, what do we do to get sleep working?

First of all you have to explain what issue you have with sleep.

When I try to sleep it never shuts off power. If I wait a short time I can get the system to turn on the screen again and be functional. If i wait about 40 seconds or more the power light still stays on but I cannot get the screen to turn on. The only way to get it running again is to hold down the power button and wait for the laptop to power down and then reboot.

Frank

There is a ~20 sec delay in Mavericks between sleep request and sleep actualize.

Is there an outward indication of sleep after the ~20 sec? (eg. blinking power LED).

Is power management implemented correctly? Post ioreg if you want me to look: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

There is now outward sign of sleep indication after 20 seconds. I initially have a gray screen then it turns black. There is no change of status on the LED, it just stays on continually.

Attached is the ioreg from my system.

Thanks,
Frank

Attachments

• frank’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    3.2 MB · Views: 120
There is now outward sign of sleep indication after 20 seconds. I initially have a gray screen then it turns black. There is no change of status on the LED, it just stays on continually.

Attached is the ioreg from my system.

Thanks,
Frank

PM and GPU looks ok...

What is the output of "pmset -g assertions" in Terminal?

Output of "pmset -g assertions"

3/2/14, 4:59:44 PM EST
Assertion status system-wide:
BackgroundTask 0
PreventDiskIdle 0
ApplePushServiceTask 0
UserIsActive 0
PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0
InteractivePushServiceTask 0
PreventSystemSleep 0
ExternalMedia 0
PreventUserIdleSystemSleep 0
NetworkClientActive 0
Listed by owning process:
pid 11(UserEventAgent): [0x0000000c00000136] 00:33:01 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds.power"
pid 86(mds): [0x0000000c00000135] 00:33:01 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds.power"
Kernel Assertions: 0x4=USB
id=500 level=255 0x4=USB mod=3/2/14, 4:39 PM description=XHC1 owner=GenericUSBXHCI
id=501 level=255 0x4=USB mod=3/2/14, 4:38 PM description=EHC3 owner=AppleUSBEHCI

Frank

Output of "pmset -g assertions"

3/2/14, 4:59:44 PM EST
Assertion status system-wide:
BackgroundTask 0
PreventDiskIdle 0
ApplePushServiceTask 0
UserIsActive 0
PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0
InteractivePushServiceTask 0
PreventSystemSleep 0
ExternalMedia 0
PreventUserIdleSystemSleep 0
NetworkClientActive 0
Listed by owning process:
pid 11(UserEventAgent): [0x0000000c00000136] 00:33:01 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds.power"
pid 86(mds): [0x0000000c00000135] 00:33:01 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds.power"
Kernel Assertions: 0x4=USB
id=500 level=255 0x4=USB mod=3/2/14, 4:39 PM description=XHC1 owner=GenericUSBXHCI
id=501 level=255 0x4=USB mod=3/2/14, 4:38 PM description=EHC3 owner=AppleUSBEHCI

Frank

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think sleep will begin until the metadata.mds.power goes away (that is the spotlight indexer). Before testing sleep, make sure all assertions are cleared (the USB ones don't matter).

I disabled spotlight indexing of the EFI and Windows partition of the internal drive and things are a bit different. This stopped the assertion.

Now the screen dims almost instantly on sleep, but the computer still never turns off. Power lights are still on. Closing the lid turns off the display and opening it re lights it. But the machine, just does not want to sleep.

Any other ideas?

Frank

I disabled spotlight indexing of the EFI and Windows partition of the internal drive and things are a bit different. This stopped the assertion.

Now the screen dims almost instantly on sleep, but the computer still never turns off. Power lights are still on. Closing the lid turns off the display and opening it re lights it. But the machine, just does not want to sleep.

Any other ideas?

Frank

Did you give it 20+ seconds? What happens if you let it sit there for a minute -- can you "re-wake" it by pressing a key? Do you see evidence that it went to sleep in system.log? Evidence of wake up in system.log (look for 'Wake Reason').

You could be having instant wake, which is generally a USB problem, but you first need to determine what is exactly happening.

Looks like it is instant wake. I could not find anything in the system log that looked like a sleep or wake.

What should I pursue on USB?

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back