Contribute
Register

Broadcom dropped from Sonoma Beta

Cable management tray, clips and cable ties!, poor Bertie, no more cable chewing for you.

I am in the process of moving office and only have access to my Kaby Lake Z270/17-7700K system, which uses a native Apple Broadcom WiFi/BT card on a PCIe adapter. The Fenvi T919 is in another system that has been boxed up for transportation.

This is the IOReg ARPT/PXSX screenshot for the BCM4360CS2 (0x14E443BA) card I am currently using.

View attachment 571101
All good, thanks much.

Still no joy, the only difference between ours seems to be the subsytem-id (0x111 or 0x133) but adding that as property does me no favors. No biggie, we'll get there. Good luck on the move.

Fixed: In bios internal graphics needed to be disabled. Somehow that little bit messed it all up.

Last edited:
Fixed: In bios internal graphics needed to be disabled. Somehow that little bit messed it all up.
May be your system is also affected by the changes made in Ventura 13.3 where WiFi and Ethernet(I219) will not work when AppleVTD is enabled. This would happen to systems with 16GB or more memory installed and IGPU enabled.

The reason why I say this is that I've had my doubts when you first mentioned about comparing AirPortBrcmNIC.kext from Venturan 13.1 and now disabling IGPU in BIOS would fix your issue.

In this case, setting DisableIoMapperMapping quirk to true also may have fixed your wifi issue. But it makes sense to disable IGPU for your system unless you need it for other operating systems.

May be your system is also affected by the changes made in Ventura 13.3 where WiFi and Ethernet(I219) will not work when AppleVTD is enabled. This would happen to systems with 16GB or more memory installed and IGPU enabled.

The reason why I say this is that I've had my doubts when you first mentioned about comparing AirPortBrcmNIC.kext from Venturan 13.1 and now disabling IGPU in BIOS would fix your issue.

In this case, setting DisableIoMapperMapping quirk to true also may have fixed your wifi issue. But it makes sense to disable IGPU for your system unless you need it for other operating systems.
I went down that route as well but what confirmed it for me was when Monterey also didn't work with Wifi. To be honest, I'm not sure whey IGD (MSI call integrated graphics that) was enabled in the first place. Proabably was in a rush.

So is fenvi working with sonoma or not?

Yes, Sonoma has dropped support for the natively supported Broadcom WiFi/BT cards we all use. As Apple have dropped support for any system older than a Kaby Lake iMac/MBA/MBP (except for iMacPro). None of the CFL or newer Apple systems use these removable Broadcom WiFi/BT cards. They all use soldered WiFi/BT cards, which we can’t purchase.

Yes, there is a kext that works with Intel WiFi/BT cards in the Sonoma Beta OS. This is still under development but is unlikely to include any new or previously unsupported features, such as Airdrop.

Hopefully, when Sonoma is out of Beta testing and released for general public usage the Acidanthera team will release an update for AirportBrcnFixup.kext that will allow our Broadcom WiFi/BT cards to work in Sonoma, without the need to disable SIP or any other built-in security features.

I doubt the Acidanthera team have the time or inclination to release an update for the kext while the OS is still in Beta testing, as Apple could change things related to WiFi before they release the GM version of Sonoma. Which would/could make any work they have undertaken during the beta phase worthless.

Well that is my hopes and thoughts on the matter. Only time will tell if I am close to the truth.
Interesting posts:

1) Miliucu declares Fenvi Wifi success with OLCP: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...orus-elite-motherboard-using-opencore.327017/

2) Mliucu indicates OOB soldered wifi chipsets:

Macs that can officially update to Sonoma have these Broadcom Wi-Fi:
  • 2017 iMacPro1,1 / 2018/2019 MacBookAir8,x -> BCM4355 (pci14e4,43dc)
  • 2018 MacMini8,1 / 2018/2019 MacBookPro15,x / 2019 iMac19,x / 2019 MacPro7,1 / 2019/2020 MacBookPro16,x / 2020 iMac20,x -> BCM4364 (pci14e4,4464)
  • 2020 MacBookAir9.1 -> BCM4377b (pci14e4.4488).
3) eBay BCM4355: if only I knew how to mount it to an M.2 module!

That is correct, the OCLP developers have come up with a fix for the older Broadcom WiFi cards that are dropped in macOS Sonoma. @miliuco tested this with his Fenvi T919 card using the BCM4360CD PCIe adapter to get it to work in Sonoma. I expect it works with any PCIe/M.2 mounted Broadcom WiFi card from the BCM4360 range.

That is correct, the OCLP developers have come up with a fix for the older Broadcom WiFi cards that are dropped in macOS Sonoma. @miliuco tested this with his Fenvi T919 card using the BCM4360CD PCIe adapter to get it to work in Sonoma. I expect it works with any PCIe/M.2 mounted Broadcom WiFi card from the BCM4360 range.
I, too, have the BCM4360CD WiFi/BT adapter, and with the OCLP Patch + kexts, everything works in Sonoma just like it did in Ventura. Bluetooth has always worked (no kexts or SSDT required) in Ventura/Sonoma so it's just the WiFi part that needs the patch.

@guindillas I agree. Would be nice to have a more "secured" fix but this OCLP solution works for the time being until they come up with some easier/more-secured patch/fix.

Back