Contribute
Register

BRIX Gaming i5G760 - Testing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK the DSDT method just did it. I was missing the POP2 PEG0 patch.

MaciASL Patches used-

From toleda's github.com/toleda/audio_hdmi_8series/tree/master/ssdt_8series

1. 8series-Clean Compile
2. Desktop-add_dsdt/PCI0/P0P2 (w/ssdt/PEG0)
3. Desktop-HD5K/AMD/Nvidia-A1

View attachment 98110
View attachment 98111

Super news is that!

Have you tested the ALC283 since installation ? The issues we had were that every so often, say a minute or so, the audio would go 'fuzzy' in that the singing/spoken voice would sound like it was suddenly being performed a great distance away and was only just audible, and by consequence any background music would seem to be louder (It wasnt louder of course, just sounded that way).

Best way to check was to load several MP3's in iTunes and play them right to the end, as well as listening to the first 20 minutes or so of a movie/video clip. During this time, clicking between the tabs in Sound Prefs too.

Remember this was ALC283 output.

That all sounds a bit weird but was sure happening to a lot of users, who in turn were not shy in giving me countless headaches about it lol

Audio aside, is there any other hardware on the unit that is not yet configured ?

Since full acceleration is available, could a simple DSDT or kext edit be used to add the correct GPU name ?

Super news is that!

Have you tested the ALC283 since installation ? The issues we had were that every so often, say a minute or so, the audio would go 'fuzzy' in that the singing/spoken voice would sound like it was suddenly being performed a great distance away and was only just audible, and by consequence any background music would seem to be louder (It wasnt louder of course, just sounded that way).

Best way to check was to load several MP3's in iTunes and play them right to the end, as well as listening to the first 20 minutes or so of a movie/video clip. During this time, clicking between the tabs in Sound Prefs too.

Remember this was ALC283 output.

That all sounds a bit weird but was sure happening to a lot of users, who in turn were not shy in giving me countless headaches about it lol

Audio aside, is there any other hardware on the unit that is not yet configured ?

Since full acceleration is available, could a simple DSDT or kext edit be used to add the correct GPU name ?

I'll do some more testing with the ALC 283 and report back. Moved to General Hardware Discussion.

Those results sound great!

On the issue of the colour, I wonder, how hard do you think it would be to transfer the components to another case? I was thinking I might do this with a Brix Pro, but I'm going to look at the gaming as well.

The Brix Pro has a dead simple heatsink with blower fan on top to cool the CPU, and since the blower appears to be PWM it would be easy to swap for a big traditional fan in a case with a nice big grille for it to blow air straight out of; some intake vents for cool air and it should a lot cooler and quieter.

Would the i5G760 be similar do you think? My main concern (as with the Brix Pro) is whether they do anything funny to connect the front USB ports, audio and power button; if it's just standard headers then it could be really easy to do.

Plus you then get more choice on the colours ;)

I have been waiting for this box to come out for a month now, been checking every day on Amazon and was going to slap OS X on it right away.

So glad to see you got an advanced unit, Tony!

Did they give you any information as to when the official release date will be? If you can post the link to Amazon using your referral code I'd be happy to purchase it through that to support tonymacx86.com!

Sounds great, but I could do with a different color scheme - say, blue and silver or black and gold, maybe a mahogany and dark red.

Why all the hate for the color scheme?? I think it looks great :)

Did they give you any information as to when the official release date will be? If you can post the link to Amazon using your referral code I'd be happy to purchase it through that to support tonymacx86.com!

These came in stock in NewEgg a couple days ago. I got mine delivered yesterday and have been running some tests (in Linux): https://randomfoo.hackpad.com/GB-BXi5G-760-Testing-OILOc5jPsEn

It's good to discover it'll run Hackintosh well! I was trying to figure out how I was going to run Photoshop... One question for you guys. Is it possible/advisable to run OS X in VirtualBox or some other Linux host environment? (I've confirmed the i5-4200H in this thing supports vmx).

Happy to answer any system specific information (I only have Ubuntu 14.04LTS installed ATM). BTW, by default the machine runs in "Normal" mode where the fans are well behaved - the system will always throttle to limit temperature to <95C or so.

When the BIOS is set to "Turbo" mode the fans ramp up quite loud, but running CPU/GPU benchmarks I've managed to sustain 160W from the wall (it comes w/ a large flat external PS rated at 180W) which is about the max-rated TDP for the CPU/GPU (47W for the i5 + 100W for the 870M) - pretty impressive for such a tiny little machine.

You pay a big premium for the size, but the power density is unmatched - the next closest option ATM is the Zotac EN70 - twice the volume, slightly weaker CPU+GPU, but also $300 cheaper.

One question for you guys. Is it possible/advisable to run OS X in VirtualBox or some other Linux host environment? (I've confirmed the i5-4200H in this thing supports vmx).

Is there a reason you cant load OSX as per Tonys findings ? Seems like it will run quite well overall.

The other option is that you could load OSX and Linux in a dual-boot setup.

Those fans look to me like they could be replaced if needed too. That is a plus. I bought a couple of Fractal Design 40mm fans last year for a project, and even without any fan control (Was an old system before fan speed control even existed) they were very smooth running and very quiet all told.

I really like this Brix overall from what I have seen so far, but Im even more interested in seeing the specs when they bring out the i7 version which is due this year too.

:cool:

Is there a reason you cant load OSX as per Tonys findings ? Seems like it will run quite well overall.

The other option is that you could load OSX and Linux in a dual-boot setup.

Those fans look to me like they could be replaced if needed too. That is a plus. I bought a couple of Fractal Design 40mm fans last year for a project, and even without any fan control (Was an old system before fan speed control even existed) they were very smooth running and very quiet all told.

I really like this Brix overall from what I have seen so far, but Im even more interested in seeing the specs when they bring out the i7 version which is due this year too.

The main goal for this machine is as a portable VR dev box. As such, my plan is to dev/use a VR-only (monitorless setup) which will be easier to do w/ a Linux window manager. I'm running an mSATA volume now so may just throw in an old SSD for dual booting though if the VM route isn't realistic.

On the Brix, frankly, I'm somewhat amazed that it can dissipate as much heat as it does - I wonder how much more it'll be able to handle w/ the i7. I think I'll be more GPU than CPU limited, but it looks like more powerful (but still reasonably power efficient) Maxwell parts are a bit far away. Between the Alienware Alpha and the ROG G series, and maybe some of the other Steam boxes, it looks like there are some interesting little boxes coming out, although nothing as small as the Brix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back