Register

boot0 Error: The Official Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow nobody i am stuck!!!!
seagate barracuda 500gb
h61n usb3

help

So, with the unibeast USB disk, I'm able to startup my OSX disk, but once in the OS reinstalling chimera doesn't help. I even tried having my OS on both a GUID disk and an MBR disk. Both still give the same "boot0: done" message.

What could Migration Assistant have done to mess up my bootability?

howmanyds said:
So, with the unibeast USB disk, I'm able to startup my OSX disk, but once in the OS reinstalling chimera doesn't help. I even tried having my OS on both a GUID disk and an MBR disk. Both still give the same "boot0: done" message.

What could Migration Assistant have done to mess up my bootability?

I have no idea what happened to my system, but I am in the exact same boat. However, I figure I am going to be reformatting before the end of June anyways when ML drops officially. I can get it booting using a UniBeast formatted install disk, so that is good enough for me. In the mean time, I think I'm going to make a CCC backup of my Macbook Air, and wipe it again (second time), and manually copy things back. I really don't like the idea that Migration Assistant brought **** over from my Hackintosh despite me telling it not to. Although I have cleaned up /S/L/E/, who knows what else got carried over.

planetetv said:
Hi,

It worked for me =D

But I have a question, once we have done the "solution 1", if I want for some reasons to re-install Lion, or Moutain Lion in a few days, do I have to re-start this procedure ? I mean, the fix is permanent or temporary ?

Thanks for your answer :)

Were you able to boot without a USB drive? I just copied my org.chameleon to my USB UniBeast drive and called it solved. My TM isn't working now for whatever reason though.

When I boot the installer from my Unibeast USB I am not able to unmount my Lion volume in Disk Utility. Just deactivating.
What sourcery is this? o_O

If I can boot the drive from the boot loader on another drive (the way i've been doing it) and I take the 4k drive and sata>usb it to my iMac, when running multi beast, which parts do i need to select? because the drive is fully functional except booting by itself obviously. Easybeast, or just the boot loaders, chimera?

MacMan said:
. . .

Solution 1: Use UniBeast
Pros: Easy- OS X Only
Cons: Requires use of the Terminal and UniBeast drive.

How To Do it:
1. Install Lion Using UniBeast
2. Boot new installation using UniBeast.
3. Run MultiBeast and install as normal
4. Reboot system back into Lion installer.
5. Run Disk Utility and unmount the drive you installed OS Lion on.
6. Launch Terminal and execute the following command:

Code:
dd if=/Volumes/"Unibeast Volume Name"/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

In my case my UniBeast volume is called "OS X 10.7.4" so my command would be:

dd if=/Volumes/OS\ X\ 10.7.4/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

7. Exit Terminal
8. Reboot Normally

NOTE: The about instructions are based on OS X Lion being installed to a hard drive connected to SATA port 0. If you are using a different port you will need to get the drive device name from Disk Utility by selecting the volume and clicking Info.

. . .

Hi MacMan;

"Solution 1" worked for Seagate Momentus XT 750GB, one of the new hybrid HD/SSD drives. I installed it in a HP ProBook 4730s. Note, as best I could find the HP ProBook is SATA II, the Seagate is SATA III ( backward compatible ). On this laptop the installed Lion drive could not be booted via UniBeast. My method is described below, the only way it worked. I could only get into it from Lion on a USB HD, maybe a quirk of this laptop ????

Like others before me I didn't follow the instructions carefully enough, got the source and target backwards. And I also went way off track trying different approaches, that didn't work.

I connected the the Seagate to my desktop system via internal SATA III cable. Then cloned an existing working Lion 1074. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think it matters how you get Lion onto the hard drive. Cloning via USB, SATA, a SATA to USB adapter or using a UniBeast USB Flash Drive Lion installer.

Since wanderers like me have tried every other way, for sure "Solution 1" is the only way it works as described step by step. Once you get it right it's simple stupid.

What through me off was I thought "Unibeast Volume Name" meant my Lion system installed using UniBeast. Don't ask me how, a little brain dead I guess.

I changed the name of my UniBeast installer from a long "ProBook 1074 Installer" name to just "UniBeast". So my terminal command was this . . .

dd if=/Volumes/UniBeast/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

Note my target drive was disk0s2.

One other thing I got wrong on my first attempt, as others here have, I selected the drive in Disk Utility, instead of the 1st partition of the drive. For our readers, in Disk Utility you will see something like this for the partition you are installing Lion on (* represents the disk icons) . . .

* 60.02 GB OCZ-AGILITY3 Media
     * Lion Boot 1074

"Lion Boot 1074" is the name of the disk drive icon that would be seen on the Desktop.

Maybe "5. Run Disk Utility and unmount the drive you installed OS Lion on." should read "5. Run Disk Utility and unmount the partition you installed OS Lion on."

This is a great solution, I found it by searching for "Boot0 Error".

MacMan you are the man.

Thanks

It appears to work at first then on the reboot i get a kernel error at the apple boot screen.

Why can't this just work? :cry:
I'm using a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 Sata drive

Could somebody please walk me through step 1 in detail? I dont understand what name to put in the "unibeast volume name" and why do you use booth backslash and normal slash?

And where in the info section do I find the volume name? Is it under "name" or "System name"???

NewKleer said:
Could somebody please walk me through step 1 in detail? I dont understand what name to put in the "unibeast volume name" and why do you use booth backslash and normal slash?

And where in the info section do I find the volume name? Is it under "name" or "System name"???
Just type mount to find the volume name, it should be obvious....
Backslash or quotes must be used if you have spaces in the name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back